Reaching out to school alumni?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_Rod_of_Asclepius_

Reaction score
Serious Question.

Incoming OMS I who has a fairly good idea on what I want to pursue or at least begin to pursue in terms of my specialty.

If someone matched into a certain specialty/location/fellowship that came from your school is it common to reach out and say "Hey do you have any advice on what you did / what have done differently to make it to the point you have?"

Members don't see this ad.

Serious Question.

Incoming OMS I who has a fairly good idea on what I want to pursue or at least begin to pursue in terms of my specialty.

If someone matched into a certain specialty/location/fellowship that came from your school is it common to reach out and say "Hey do you have any advice on what you did / what have done differently to make it to the point you have?"

It will not differ whether the person is from your school or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Noted. Which is exactly why I wanted opinions from everyone before I attempted like this in the future.
Let me elaborate. I won’t want anyone I don’t know contacting me just because they are about to start at my former school. That being said, most schools try to create an alumni network. These are alumni that sign up to be contacted by current students. Wait until you start and then ask administration about some kind of alumni networking program.

Let me elaborate. I won’t want anyone I don’t know contacting me just because they are about to start at my former school. That being said, most schools try to create an alumni network. These are alumni that sign up to be contacted by current students. Wait until you start and then ask administration about some kind of alumni networking program.
Thank you! I think this was more or less what I was thinking too but did not elaborate. I was NOT planning on finding some kind of email on a web page and cold-emailing them!

I would be perfectly happy providing some insight into matching and medical school if a student from my alma mater reached out to me. I wouldnt feel weird about it. So your mileage may vary. My school actually arranges specialty specific diners with alums.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
I would be perfectly providing some insight into matching and medical school if a student from my alma mater reached out to me. I wouldnt feel weird about it. So your mileage may vary. My school actually arranges specialty specific diners with alums.
Thank you, I'm pleased to hear that one I may be able to have some leaders and mentors in my quest to specialization.

Thank you, I'm pleased to hear that one I may be able to have some leaders and mentors in my quest to specialization.
How else are your supposed to get mentors? they dont just hang around the school. Our school is big on this and one of our group mentors takes us out for beer and snacks every 6 months or so to check in with us.

Reactions: 2 users
This is a super bizarre response. There is absolutely nothing creepy about the OP’s idea.

Cool story. Also, shows we all have different perspectives. Hints why I said IMO. I gave no advice. But if I get an email saying, “Hey I’ll be starting at your Alma mater in the fall and I’m interested in your specialty.” There is a 100% chance you will be ignored.

I didn’t tell a story...

No perspective at all. Just reality. Have a happy holiday :)

I think you misunderstand my position. I will be heavily involved in my alumni network helping students out but there are proper channels to making contact.

There you go, OP. Different people will have different ideas about whether this is a sound strategy or quite the opposite. So as the others noted above, try and find networking opportunities (alumni meetups, panels, mentoring programs) where these physicians are actually planning on this kind of contact being made, and you're all set.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone, there seems to be differing opinions (as there is with everything in life), I will certainly keep everything in mind in my future medical career!

If a first year got my info through something I signed up for (like my school’s alumni listing or our giant Facebook group), I’d be okay with it. But otherwise I’d be freaked out.

I wouldn't mind if someone contacted me, but I'd probably just tell them they are too early to commit to a specialty and just focus on getting good grades and perhaps do research during the summer. If a 3rd year that rotated in the specialty contacted me, I'd take it more seriously

Reactions: 4 users
This is a super bizarre response. There is absolutely nothing creepy about the OP’s idea.

Agreed, not sure where the people making negative comments are coming from. My alma mater contacts me periodically to update my contact info on the directory and asks if I'd be willing to have them share my contact info with students. I don't see why I would say no. Even if my school didn't do this I'd be more than happy to help a student who reaches out, particularly if they're interested in my field.

Reactions: 8 users
Once you are a student, I've found that people are more than willing to be helpful. I've seen people email residents whose emails are on their residency website and they have gotten some very helpful responses. Just don't come across creepy or super headstrong.

Once you are a student, I've found that people are more than willing to be helpful. I've seen people email residents whose emails are on their residency website and they have gotten some very helpful responses. Just don't come across creepy or super headstrong.

Yea, approach is key. Probably won't be well received if you email an IM resident at your state school and declare that you want to match into Brigham IM and anything less would be completely unacceptable.

I had a first year contacted me and then gave me really restrictive hours on when he's available to talk on the phone. My advice- introduce yourself well, don't be a dick, and if you're asking for advice- bend over backward. You should be accommodating my schedule for the most part since I'm a resident and my schedule is more restrictive

Reactions: 5 users
As a preclinical med student, I would hate to try to advise most preclinical med students, especially if they haven’t even matriculated yet. Too many insane egotistical gunners that haven’t had their egos checked yet. More power to those who do it but I’m in agreement with other posters in that I’d only take a third year seriously.

I would not have responded from students from my medical school. However, I would certainly entertain a conversation if he is from my fraternity.. :p

I casually messaged a resident on facebook who's at the residency program I wanted to go to to. He gave me a bunch of advice and I'm hoping to network through him in the future.

Reactions: 3 users
If any medical student reached out to me for advice during my residency, I would feel flattered that they thought I was someone worth seeking advice from. As DO students, we all have limited to no advising. I feel it is our professional responsibility to help guide those that come after us, as our schools certainly are not helping.

As DO students, we all have limited to no advising.

Speak for yourself. I have countless advisors right here on SDN. And whether they like it or not, most of them are just as clueless as myself. That's what makes it so fun! Besides, I can't go to my real advisor's office and just start screaming about DO vs. MD because she's a boring ole PhD.

I’ve done this and gotten invaluable advice in my opinion about specific programs, which ones wanted usmle (even if their site said they accept COMLEX), which want more research etc. They were all super nice and didn’t seemed weirded out and were more than willing to give me advice. But as a first year they are just gunna tell you to just do well in class and don’t worry about boards yet. Which is probably the best advice. But in the DO world we all know we need to play the system every which way possible to give up the best chance of matching were we want and DO alumni know that from experience, which is why I image they were (in my experience) super responsive.

Kinda creepy imo.

I’m not in a competitive specialty so this hasn’t happened to me, but I don’t think it’s creepy at all.

Networking in any field requires going out on a limb a little bit. Having the same connection to the same school is a very reasonable excuse to contact someone.

Not creepy in my opinion.