Reactive Knowledge

Started by DrSquears
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrSquears

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, i'm a DO third year student and just had an observation that's been bothering me. I feel like most of my knowledge I'm accumulating seems to remain reactive. I need some sort of prompt or reminder of things I know to really get the ball rolling. This is great for questions and getting pimped but I see residents and attendings just spontaneously reciting information. Anyone else get this feeling and any thoughts on how to feel less reactive in what I know?
Hope this makes sense.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You, the least trained person in the room, need prompting. Meanwhile, more thoroughly trained people struggle less with the same information.

I laid it out like that because hopefully reading it like that makes it make more sense.

It’s the same as the new first year medical students trying to imagine taking the board exam(s) that you took a few months ago. They would have thought it was impossible to know that stuff as well as you did. This is the same thing.
 
No point in comparing yourself to 4th years let alone residents. You'll realize next year how much you know compared to 4th years.

Repetition is key. When you see enough pathology you'll get used to asking the right questions and best starting treatment moving forward.