-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Post MS1 Knowledge Decay
Started by postbacpremed87
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
.
I must have forgotten half the stuff I learned.
I still retain the big pictures, but most of the details have been filed away somewhere in the back of my head.
I still retain the big pictures, but most of the details have been filed away somewhere in the back of my head.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same feeling, I did take the advice to avoid studying over the summer also.
I did pick a book and studied for about 3 days on anatomy. It all came back quick and I could quickly breeze through chapters. Hopefully that will still be in place 8 months from now when board study is at its peak.
I did pick a book and studied for about 3 days on anatomy. It all came back quick and I could quickly breeze through chapters. Hopefully that will still be in place 8 months from now when board study is at its peak.
Also a class of 2018er here. I'd recommend glancing at pathoma or your prefered pathology book once a week. It gives you the high yields and keeps you from feeling like everything is drained out of your head.
Definitely am feeling this right now. Nothing was as demoralizing as trying a few questions on some M1 material in USMLE Rx and realizing I don't know anything anymoreHow many of you have undergone tremendous knowledge decay in the summer between MS1-MS2? I was shadowing for fun last week and I did not remember jack ****. "They" always say don't review this summer and I took that to heart but feel like I know nothing.
It seriously feels like I didn't even take biochem or pharm. I remember nothing. Ugh.
You are implying that first-year material directly translates to clinically actionable knowledge.How many of you have undergone tremendous knowledge decay in the summer between MS1-MS2? I was shadowing for fun last week and I did not remember jack ****. "They" always say don't review this summer and I took that to heart but feel like I know nothing.
I certainly hope this is the case....You are implying that first-year material directly translates to clinically actionable knowledge.
I can say that the material covered during the spring semester of first year at my school is clinically related. First semester on the other hand was mostly anatomy and cell bio stuff.You are implying that first-year material directly translates to clinically actionable knowledge.
I've opted to remember only one thing. Weirneke-Korsakoff syndrome. I just can't recall why I decided it was important - I'll drink another rum-n-coke and it'll come back to me.
Jk. I've looked at all the clinical boxes in my BRS books, my embryology book, NA and GA books. Been through my GA slides and looked the hell out of my Free Anatomy Atlas from Theime. Cheers.
Jk. I've looked at all the clinical boxes in my BRS books, my embryology book, NA and GA books. Been through my GA slides and looked the hell out of my Free Anatomy Atlas from Theime. Cheers.
Last edited:
You should forget a lot of MS1 stuff so you can make room for the stuff that is important for the boards. Then forget a lot of that stuff so you can make room for stuff that's important for taking care of patients
All the important stuff will come back quickly enough, and all the not so important stuff will be remembered as if it were a dream that you have long since forgotten.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All the important stuff will come back quickly enough, and all the not so important stuff will be remembered as if it were a dream that you have long since forgotten.
This is highly reassuring.
If you end up needing to know the prevalence of intoeing vs tibial torsion in residency or beyond (unless you're in peds), then you'll have proven me wrong!I can say that the material covered during the spring semester of first year at my school is clinically related. First semester on the other hand was mostly anatomy and cell bio stuff.
MSK is my second worst subject after anatomy, so I hope you are right.If you end up needing to know the prevalence of intoeing vs tibial torsion in residency or beyond (unless you're in peds), then you'll have proven me wrong!
However, what about neuro, hematology, and micro/immunology, aren't these clinically relevant topics? These are topics covered in the second part of the first year at our school. I read on the boards forum that the recent COMLEx form was neuro heavy.
So when exactly are we suppose to restudy M1 stuff for the boards? Ill be busy learning M2 stuff during m2.
Bump.So when exactly are we suppose to restudy M1 stuff for the boards? Ill be busy learning M2 stuff during m2.
One of my best friends on the Faculty here was a 71 year old hospitalist who recently retired. He was a Critical Care guy, especially when your patient was circling the drain.
He and I were once going over an exam and looking at a particular anatomy question on the masseter. I asked him if he remembered where the masseter was.
He immediately started moving his jaw up and down.
Mind you, he was some 40+ years out of med school!
He and I were once going over an exam and looking at a particular anatomy question on the masseter. I asked him if he remembered where the masseter was.
He immediately started moving his jaw up and down.
Mind you, he was some 40+ years out of med school!
How many of you have undergone tremendous knowledge decay in the summer between MS1-MS2? I was shadowing for fun last week and I did not remember jack ****. "They" always say don't review this summer and I took that to heart but feel like I know nothing.
One of my best friends on the Faculty here was a 71 year old hospitalist who recently retired. He was a Critical Care guy, especially when your patient was circling the drain.
He and I were once going over an exam and looking at a particular anatomy question on the masseter. I asked him if he remembered where the masseter was.
He immediately started moving his jaw up and down.
Mind you, he was some 40+ years out of med school!
Next time try asking him about the stapedius muscle and see if he still remembers it 😉
don't stress out about first year material, you don't need to know first year material in the same detail you did on your school exams to do very well on boards
How about what other sx would you have if the nerve the innervated the left stapedius was severed? [emoji12]Next time try asking him about the stapedius muscle and see if he still remembers it 😉
Facial n- tinnitis. Right?How about what other sx would you have if the nerve the innervated the left stapedius was severed? [emoji12]
Correct except it's anterior 2/3 🙂Yeah, and depending where it was severed there could be ipsilateral facial droop and loss of taste on the anterior 1/3 of the tongue (if I remember correctly)
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 3K