Read if you're at Temple!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhichRoom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was accepted to a few schools this cycle :love:, and have decided on Temple! To be honest, I haven't any bmb classes under my belt yet, and dont plan to have a formal class prior to matriculation. I did win a biochemistry book on ebay, very recent edition. The broad chapters are as follows:

-Protein Structure and Function
-Intermediary Metabolism
-Lipid Metabolism
-Nitrogen Metabolism
-Integration of Metabolism
-Storage and Expression of Genetic Information

In all the book is 500 pages. So my question is if I read (read not daydream) this book, at the same time not banging my head against the wall on EVERY detail, but certainly reviewing the same figure an ample numb of times, will I be ok? Im hoping to be competitive for potential ortho residency so needless to say im trying to come to Temple and excel. Im actually hoping I hear 'thats overkill' and still stick to the plan, but is the truth that I should know EVERY detail just to pull a C :scared:??? Help me out! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, let me get ur input even if you're not from Temple i guess :mad:

You asked if you should read the book and said you most likely are going to read it anyway.

I don't think you need to. It always helps to hear/read/learn information more than once. The biochem individual tests are pretty easy, it's the final at Temple that can potentially hurt you.

Congrats on your decision!
For biochem at Temple we got comprehensive note packets with the info we needed to know. Not many people use the book (& many do not buy it) other than to look up a few things that are confusing in the notes. So reading the whole book probably would not be the best use of your time. Disclaimer aside, I realize you're excited though and want to get started anyway so here are a few topics that will be of use:
- enzyme kinetics/ allosteric enzymes with sigmoid kinetics
- DNA structure/replication/ damage & repair
- TCA Cycle (if your going to memorize something, might as well be this)
- Glycolysis
- oxidative phosphorylation
- gluconeogenesis

These are some of the more important topics from the first half of the course and its making me tired just listing them so I'll revert back to "thats overkill" :thumbup: