Read This First Before Posting Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
New users are welcome in the Surgery and Surgery Subspecialty forums. Really, we like to make new friends. But please observe some general rules or expectations for the forum.

1) Please do a search for your question before posting a new thread; chances are its been asked before

2) Please do not ask the following questions because we honestly don't know or cannot answer:

a. What are my chances (ie, WAMC) to get into surgery?
b. I'm an IMG/FMG/50 yo, can I get into Surgery?
c. I'm a HS student who must be a surgeon or die. What can I do now to improve my chances? (Ok we know the answer to this one...its NOTHING. Relax, have fun, get laid, whatever.)
d. Please find this article/do my homework, etc. for me. Google does a great job of that.

3) Please be patient when asking a question. Most of us are busy residents and attendings and this forum doesn't get the traffic that many of the others do. If we know the answer we will answer it, if not there is no need to bump it up from half-way down the page.

4) Finally, we really don't mean to be rude or mean to you. Many of us do not tolerate silliness, laziness or attempts to derogate us or our field. Surgery tends to be a very hierarchical field, thus we expect that members treat others with due respect given their experience and station in life. Hang around awhile, get the mood of the forum, make a few posts and you will be welcomed. You can disagree with us but understand that it stymies us a bit to have a pre-med student lecture us on how our training should change or how life as an attending really is. When you get there, you can talk about it.

We're actually pretty nice IRL but sometimes we come off a little brusque in our responses; being tired or overworked is not always an excuse but before you criticize us please try and understand the tremendous pressures we are under.

And if all this is too much to bear, I hear they have cookies in the FM forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.