Reading and Learning opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CAmedicRawlings

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on reading material for learning about science and medical...anything really? I am preparing for a deployment here in the next couple of months so I won't be able to take any classes and I don't want my mind to go to waste while I'm overseas. I'm an Army Civil Affairs medic so that is a great chance to get patient contact and interaction but I'm curious as to any good reading material that you may be able to suggest. I hope this question doesn't seem stupid.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your future plans? Are you taking the MCAT or applying soon?

"science and medical" is pretty broad for not wanting your "mind to go to waste".

I have listened to the MedPod 101 podcasts which are pretty basic and covers a lot of the most common issues you see in the ED or in clinic. If you have a lot of driving time or spend a lot of time doing cardio, I'd suggest purchasing it from their website at medpod101.com.

Any Atul Gawande books are good reads, too.

Some stuff I like to read so I can "stay in the loop" is Medscape because it has recent medical news/breakthroughs, quizes and free data bases. Here is the link: http://www.medscape.com/medicalstudents

I also read Pubmed although I don't like it as much. Here is the link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

You can always start studying for USMLE or MCAT review material stuff, depending on which test is next for you.

Another book which I am reading right now is called The House of God by Samuel Shem. It is a novel about a medical student in a hospital. It not about science more about his experience as a medical student in the 1970s.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Another book which I am reading right now is called The House of God by Samuel Shem. It is a novel about a medical student in a hospital. It not about science more about his experience as a medical student in the 1970s.

No, remember, they're all graduates of "BMS", or Best Medical School, so they are therefore interns/residents.

The description of the book you give makes it sound so regal. :laugh:

Hello everyone! I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on reading material for learning about science and medical...anything really? I am preparing for a deployment here in the next couple of months so I won't be able to take any classes and I don't want my mind to go to waste while I'm overseas. I'm an Army Civil Affairs medic so that is a great chance to get patient contact and interaction but I'm curious as to any good reading material that you may be able to suggest. I hope this question doesn't seem stupid.

Since some reading material has already been suggested, here is a link to some videos worth watching.

TEDMED videos

http://www.tedmed.com/videos