buntatog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
hello. if your interview seems very pleasant and more focused on getting to know the applicant than a pimping session, is it ok to assume that you have a good chance of being ranked high? or only if the interviewer says they would really love to have you on board can you assume this?

Trisomy13

ultra
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
mountain home
Status
Attending Physician
hello. if your interview seems very pleasant and more focused on getting to know the applicant than a pimping session, is it ok to assume that you have a good chance of being ranked high? or only if the interviewer says they would really love to have you on board can you assume this?
it could just as easily work the other way.

cchoukal

15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I wouldn't take anything they do or say at an interview to mean anything. It could mean anything or nothing and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out. go to the interviews, be your best professional self, and rank according to where you want to go.

About the Ads

Frank Rizzo

10+ Year Member
May 13, 2005
Status
I wouldn't take anything they do or say at an interview to mean anything. It could mean anything or nothing and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out. go to the interviews, be your best professional self, and rank according to where you want to go.
pretty much sums it up.

guitarguy09

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
Northeast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Exactly... after being out on the interview trail, I really think this whole process is a total crap-shoot. Many programs are looking for different things, and even though they say they'll "rank you highly", I guess we won't know until match day how it all pans out. Best of luck to you all.

Last edited:

DO4lifer

Gold Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
USA
Status
just like the interviewees say "i like your program", the programs say "i think your a good candidate".

im sure it comes down to your app afterall. the interview just makes sure your not a jerk or anti-social...or antisocial personality disorder ;)

mille125

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician

Many programs do not believe in "pimping sessions". Line of questioning has no corrolation with ranking.

Southpaw

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Attending Physician

just fyi, every single one of my interviews have been this way so far. And from speaking with fellow applicants during the interview day, it's been the same for them. I also wouldn't take comments like "we'd love to have you hear" to mean anything other than "you're a competitive applicant" which you should've known anyway since they invited you for an interview.

Long story short, and this is what I'm doing, go on your interviews, do your best, don't read into what they tell you or let it affect your rank list, rank the programs in the order of places you'd like to train, and hope for the best.

mille125

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
just fyi, every single one of my interviews have been this way so far. And from speaking with fellow applicants during the interview day, it's been the same for them. I also wouldn't take comments like "we'd love to have you hear" to mean anything other than "you're a competitive applicant" which you should've known anyway since they invited you for an interview.

Long story short, and this is what I'm doing, go on your interviews, do your best, don't read into what they tell you or let it affect your rank list, rank the programs in the order of places you'd like to train, and hope for the best.

good advice

Arch Guillotti

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2001
Status
Attending Physician

what he said. Just walk the walk and talk the talk.

DET0897

DET
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 19, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
what he said. Just walk the walk and talk the talk.

But if a program that you really want to go to "dirty rush"es you, take it. Just make sure they send you a contract.

Last edited:

Arch Guillotti

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
I would not believe a durn thing that anybody tells you about likng you, wanting you to match, etc. Every year there are stories that circulate on SDN about people who got duped and hung out to dry.

About the Ads