reading between the lines during interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buntatog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello. if your interview seems very pleasant and more focused on getting to know the applicant than a pimping session, is it ok to assume that you have a good chance of being ranked high? or only if the interviewer says they would really love to have you on board can you assume this?

Members don't see this ad.

hello. if your interview seems very pleasant and more focused on getting to know the applicant than a pimping session, is it ok to assume that you have a good chance of being ranked high? or only if the interviewer says they would really love to have you on board can you assume this?

it could just as easily work the other way.

I wouldn't take anything they do or say at an interview to mean anything. It could mean anything or nothing and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out. go to the interviews, be your best professional self, and rank according to where you want to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't take anything they do or say at an interview to mean anything. It could mean anything or nothing and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out. go to the interviews, be your best professional self, and rank according to where you want to go.

pretty much sums it up.

Exactly... after being out on the interview trail, I really think this whole process is a total crap-shoot. Many programs are looking for different things, and even though they say they'll "rank you highly", I guess we won't know until match day how it all pans out. Best of luck to you all.

Last edited:
just like the interviewees say "i like your program", the programs say "i think your a good candidate".

im sure it comes down to your app afterall. the interview just makes sure your not a jerk or anti-social...or antisocial personality disorder ;)

Many programs do not believe in "pimping sessions". Line of questioning has no corrolation with ranking.

just fyi, every single one of my interviews have been this way so far. And from speaking with fellow applicants during the interview day, it's been the same for them. I also wouldn't take comments like "we'd love to have you hear" to mean anything other than "you're a competitive applicant" which you should've known anyway since they invited you for an interview.

Long story short, and this is what I'm doing, go on your interviews, do your best, don't read into what they tell you or let it affect your rank list, rank the programs in the order of places you'd like to train, and hope for the best.

just fyi, every single one of my interviews have been this way so far. And from speaking with fellow applicants during the interview day, it's been the same for them. I also wouldn't take comments like "we'd love to have you hear" to mean anything other than "you're a competitive applicant" which you should've known anyway since they invited you for an interview.

Long story short, and this is what I'm doing, go on your interviews, do your best, don't read into what they tell you or let it affect your rank list, rank the programs in the order of places you'd like to train, and hope for the best.

good advice

what he said. Just walk the walk and talk the talk.

I would not believe a durn thing that anybody tells you about likng you, wanting you to match, etc. Every year there are stories that circulate on SDN about people who got duped and hung out to dry.