dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Status
Dental Student
I'll post this here because it seems more people view this forum than the DAT one. So I finally finished my kaplan class, improved so much on the final from the first diagnostic: my highest score was actually reading comp, a 20. How much does this correlate to the real DAT? I was pretty stoked about this score...after getting a 14 on the midterm.
Thanks

L

lunguv

dexadental said:
I'll post this here because it seems more people view this forum than the DAT one. So I finally finished my kaplan class, improved so much on the final from the first diagnostic: my highest score was actually reading comp, a 20. How much does this correlate to the real DAT? I was pretty stoked about this score...after getting a 14 on the midterm.
Thanks
It correlates pretty well. I got a 21-22 on every practice DAT I ever took on the reading comp and then I got the same on the real DAT. So they are pretty comparable. I never used any of Kaplan's techniques for the RC though, I would just read and answer. So maybe if you use those techniques your score might go up who knows.

lionelhutz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
Status
yeah same here... I was jumping back and forth between 20 and 21 on the preactice tests. I got a 20 on the real thing. Just practice and you'll be fine.

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My score on the real DAT was like 3 points higher than on my practise tests, because on the Kaplan tests I tried to use their strategy and ran out of time... on the real DAT I just read through it normally and it worked much better. That was just my experience, though; just because their strategy was junk for me doesn't mean that's true for everyone. Try both ways and see which works better for you.

The Kaplan RC sections are pretty analagous to what you'll see on the DAT, though, so your scores should be fairly parallel.

Yalc1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status
I found that the reading comprehension on the DAT was one of the easiest of any standardize test. I have never been a fast reader so that worried me but you are given ample time and the questions & passages are on the same screen so you can just look for key words.

IcemanDDS

Dr of Dental Shadowing
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical
I havnt taken the DAT yet, but based on the practice tests here's what I do. Read the passage quickly to get the broad scope of the topic and know where certain information is in the passage. When you answer the questions, you'll have plenty of time and know where in the passage the answer is. Kaplan's strategy was NOT good for me, because they have you taking notes while reading the passage and that just takes too much of your time and hardly helps any. Hope this helps somewhat.