Reading Comprehension

ktton

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone had tips/advice on the reading comprehension section? It's the only section that I can't really improve my score on. /: I have tried different techniques yet slow scoring very low.

Members don't see this ad.

What I've found on doing the RC section is that it's pretty straightforward. What I mean by that is that most of the questions have answers that can be found straight from the text (with the occasional question that asks about a theme or main idea).

When I was doing practice for the RC section, I would tend to read through and give a main idea to each paragraph (what it discusses). After reading as quickly as possible, go through the questions and see what each discuss, and locate that (hopefully) in your notations for each paragraph. Getting quick at this is going to take a good amount of practice.

On the actual exam, the RC section is pretty long so be quick and confident in your answers. Also the exam tends to also take a good portion on small minor details from each paragraph. So what you might want to do instead is go through the all the questions for the passage first and pick out a couple key words that define that question. Then give the section a read and highlight wherever you see those key words from the questions. Then go back and answer as much as you can quickly.

It's pretty time consuming, but that's what ended up working for me on the actual exam (I sorta made it up as I took the exam because I was so used to being able to locate the answers only based on main ideas). You'll probably find a method that works best for you, but don't get too caught up in understanding everything to the finest detail, you need to work efficiently.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need other tips or anything

I would agree with Trozeii. For the RC portion, I would read the question first and skim for the keywords in the passage. Something else that may be helpful from what I've observed is that the questions correlate directly to each paragraph of the passage. It saves time when looking for the answer to the next question because you know where to look, generally. The questions are very straightforward but don't let the timing throw you off. The best practice I could suggest is to familiarize yourself with scientific journal articles and challenge yourself with a practice RC test or two.