OAT Reading Comprehension

OptoMra

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm struggling with reading comprehension section of the OAT exam.
Do you think if we are allowed to used Cntl+f for searching keywords during the actual OAT?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for improving my reading section.

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot use Control+F, so I recommend that if you're doing that now during your practice to stop, so you don't get dependent on it. There is a highlighting feature that is very useful for identifying key terms and definitions, important facts and numbers, and main ideas.

I would suggest broadening your exposure to scientific papers. The OAT has science-based passages. Mine was about bats, drug addiction, and tissue engineering. They're not as intensive as a journal publication but try reading general science articles. You can try reading articles from ScienceDaily or other websites that have general science articles made for broad audiences. The more you're used to scientific papers, the easier it'll be to do the RC section

Here's a link: Biology News

In terms of a method for improving, you can try the search and destroy method as some other students have mentioned in this forum. For me, I briefly skimmed over the passage once, using the highlighting feature to highlight what I believed to be important, then doing the multiple-choice.

Kaplan has suggested on your scrap board/paper, you can organize the paragraphs by topic/main idea so when you do the MC, you can trace it back to a certain paragraph based on what the MC is asking.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
You cannot use Control+F, so I recommend that if you're doing that now during your practice to stop, so you don't get dependent on it. There is a highlighting feature that is very useful for identifying key terms and definitions, important facts and numbers, and main ideas.

I would suggest broadening your exposure to scientific papers. The OAT has science-based passages. Mine was about bats, drug addiction, and tissue engineering. They're not as intensive as a journal publication but try reading general science articles. You can try reading articles from ScienceDaily or other websites that have general science articles made for broad audiences. The more you're used to scientific papers, the easier it'll be to do the RC section

Here's a link: Biology News

In terms of a method for improving, you can try the search and destroy method as some other students have mentioned in this forum. For me, I briefly skimmed over the passage once, using the highlighting feature to highlight what I believed to be important, then doing the multiple-choice.

Kaplan has suggested on your scrap board/paper, you can organize the paragraphs by topic/main idea so when you do the MC, you can trace it back to a certain paragraph based on what the MC is asking.

Hope this helps!
Hi 97thaik,
Thanks a lot for your help.
I really appreciate that.