Reading Comprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chi_town7

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Reading comprehension is by far my worst section so I was wondering if you guys had any advice on ways to generally improve. I read a daily scientific article on bootcamp and try my best to do a passage w questions twice a week but I truly cant focus on reading passages (ive been this way since high school but I really am trying my best to improve) and the search and destroy method doesn't work too well for me. If anyone has experienced something similar or has any good advice on improving please let me know what has helped you. Thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

Reading comprehension is by far my worst section so I was wondering if you guys had any advice on ways to generally improve. I read a daily scientific article on bootcamp and try my best to do a passage w questions twice a week but I truly cant focus on reading passages (ive been this way since high school but I really am trying my best to improve) and the search and destroy method doesn't work too well for me. If anyone has experienced something similar or has any good advice on improving please let me know what has helped you. Thank you in advance :)
I have worked with thousands of students through the years who have struggled with this section, even one where English was a 4th language and they managed to get through it. Students where English is a first language have difficulties too if they do not prepare for this important section. From my experience schools are a little more forgiving to students if English is not the first language.

I tell my classroom students, the goal is to increase reading speed and comprehension levels and this can be easily accomplished by old fashion reading. If you dedicate at least 30 minutes a day to reading while preparing for the DAT that's a lot of reading accomplished over the course of your preparation. Make it a habit to read just before bed, not on a computer or phone but an actual book or magazine, it will also help fall asleep. Read things that interest you, remember the goal is to increase reading speed and comprehension. You don't necessarily have to read science passage.

Hope this helps...Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
RC was the section that I was most worried about during my DAT prep because I'm a pretty slow reader. To make sure I was as ready as I could be, I took the advice of Dr. Romano^ about the 30 minutes of reading. I read 30 minutes of scientific articles from knowable magazine, scientific american, the scientist, etc. to built on my reading speed and comprehension. However, do not just read these articles mindlessly. Actively try to read and comprehend what is being said (not 100% comprehension but enough to understand the ideas of each paragraph). If you keep actively reading, you'll probably get 1% better everyday, and that will add up in the long run.

I also took a full length RC practice test weekly for about 9 weeks (doubled my practice tests for the week before my DAT, so I did about 10 practice tests in all). Full length practice tests were essential for me to getting a rhythm/strategy down and for understanding how much stamina I needed in order to do well. For the practice tests, the strategy I used was a bit modified from S_Diamond_DDS's Helpful Strategy for RC Section for Slow Readers. My strategy consisted of reading a little more than half of each passage. For example, if the passage had 10 paragraphs I'd read one more than half, so 6 paragraphs. If the passage had an odd number of paragraphs, say 13, then I'd read 7 paragraphs (rounded up from half of 13). My goal was to read quickly but still comprehend 60-70% of the information in the passages. After each paragraph, I'd take a few seconds to mentally summarize what the paragraph consisted of so that I could create a mental roadmap of where information was when I went to answer the questions (I did this little mental summary of keywords and main ideas after each paragraph during my 30 minutes of practice reading each day as well. Practice makes perfect.) My goal was to get done with this portion of reading in a maximum of 5 minutes. Then I'd go to the questions. If I came to a question that I didn't recognize, then I knew it must be from the paragraphs after I stopped reading. I would then either read the first sentence/keywords/last sentence of subsequent paragraphs or just search and destroy until I found the answer. I would shoot for completing an individual passage by 19.5 minutes. Sometimes I would go a little over and that gave me a reminder that I have to speed up a bit for the rest of the passages. I shot for 19.5 minutes for each passage because I wanted to make sure I answered every questions. This is essential. You DO NOT want to get hung up on a single question, even if it seems like an easy recall questions but you just can't find the answer. You need to keep moving because you do not want to guess on two-three questions at the end because you ran out of time. They could have been really easy to answer but you just didn't have time. So pace yourself and be conscious of time.

Find a strategy that works for you! If doing only S&D isn't working for you, then test some more reliable strategies.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!

When starting to prepare for the RC section, I had a VERY similar experience - I found myself zoning out more frequently than I would have liked, and search and destroy just did not work for me. It's been suggested here ad nauseum, but just try reading science articles (or frankly, whatever you can get your hands on!) as much as possible. It greatly increases your comprehension, understanding, and reading speed. On my exam day, I never even attempted search and destroy. Whatever my RC passage topics were, I convinced myself I was incredibly interested in them and wanted to learn more, really paying attention when I was reading. And then I went and answered questions like any other exam, referring back to the passages when need be - the 'vanilla' method, as they call it. It worked amazingly for me, so may be worth a shot for you, too! If not, plenty of other techniques, but I think most important now is reading as much as possible.

Hope this helps! Best of luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user