Reading Frozen Sections by Telepathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Napoleon1801

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have or seen a successful setup for covering frozens by telepathology? Wondering if it is worth the effort to decrease the drive time to remote locations.

Members don't see this ad.

There are workable solutions out there. Do you have a histotech that can go cut ? That is key.
Is there enough work to justify the equipment?
There is quite a range of capability and cost

Working well in many places, agree with above need good technical person onsite to prepare a good slide. If the specimen is a skin or something that needs inking / cutting that person might have to be a Pathologist assistant.
Requires initial validation if you want to start doing this.

Members don't see this ad :)
We do it for one remote hospital that has occasional frozen sections. We send one of our PAs to cut and stain it and throw it on the slide scanner. We were using an older Mikroscan machine, which just recently conked out. We are debating between replacing it with one of their newer models versus a scanner from a different company that supposedly will cost about half what the Mikroscan option does (in which case we might consider a second one to use for cytology ROSEs).

Shopping the idea around the office right now. What are the price points you guys are seeing out there? Can you get something reliable/decent for <100K?

Yes, you can definitely get a good low-volume whole-slide scanner that would work for frozens for less than $100K, or you can get a remote control microscope for much less than that.

Any idea on what the two Mikroscan units cost? The SL5 does whole slide scanning while the other is just remote microscopy. We have a site that is low volume but does enough frozens to require someone to be there fairly regularly.

Reactions: 1 user
This is such horse crap. Keep dreaming. Malpractice covers this? Derm frozens? Hell no.

I did about 1500 /yr outreach derm frozen from docs with offices at my campus. They were regular hi volume clients of our derm path division so I/we accommodated them . I would have had ZERO problem with this scenario95+% of the time.