reading material for verbal reasoning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin883

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

how do you guys prepare for verbal section? Where can we find some serious, formal reading materials that are similar to MCAT passages? All the newspapers I read are not difficult enough. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I did ok (11) on the verbal section in April, I have subscriptions to the Economist, The Atlantic Monthly, The Nation and The New Yorker. The articles in these magazines are all usually written at about the level of many of the verbal passages you will see. Not to mention, they will keep you informed of political and social issues that may be of help on the writing sample. Magaizines like Time and Newsweek are sufficient to keep you posted on lots of current events but are not great for preparing for the verbal section since they are written at a level of difficulty well below that which you will encounter on the MCAT. I also recommend a book called "The Diversity of Life" by Edward O. Wilson. Excerpts from this and many of his other books showed up in a lot of my practice MCAT passages, and both real MCATs I took had passages written in his manner and covering similar subjects. Not to mention, he is a fantastic writer and his books are really interesting, MCAT aside!
Enjoy!

Thanks Angie

You are another person who recommended The New Yorker. I'll make sure to pick that up.

What is this "The Diversity of Life" by Edward O. Wilson about?