Reading physics passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found this old thread after getting owned by a set of BR physics passages today. I still have trouble with timing and just plain freaking out about the math, only to go back and realize that I could have gotten it it I'd spent more time on the question stem and actual bulk of figuring out the answer. Too often, I think I waste time reading passages that are telling me crap I already know, such as equations I have commited to memory, etc.

This guy says he flat-out DIDN'T read the PS passages. Interesting, might have to experiment. What do you all think?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=42506

Members don't see this ad.

That's interesting. Well, I have only done two FL's so far and the last one I got an 8 on the PS section and I've been studying mostly for it since I took that practice test.

I have been practicing with the topical tests for Kaplan which have 2 passages and I have realized that the more you know the material and the more the practice, you reach a point where you get to the passage and read it super quick and skip parts you know are not important at that moment and you can look up when answering the questions.

For example parts of the passages that describe each part of the formula like: "E=hf where H is Planck's constant and f is the frequency". When you are reading through the passage and you find this, you know that they will probably ask you one or 2 questions about the formula, so you can go back real quick to find what "h" and "f" stand for if you need it. You know?

I am no expert however I've only taken 2 Kaplan's FL and tomorrow I am taking the next one. I'll try what some of them mentioned in the passage, read it quick and skip what you gotta skip and we'll see if I improve from my PS. If not, I will definitely try the no reading technique in some of Kaplan's subjects tests, which is basically just taking the PS section.

I will let you know what happens! and let us know if you try it to as well as anyone else here that has tried it. :)

Found this old thread after getting owned by a set of BR physics passages today. I still have trouble with timing and just plain freaking out about the math, only to go back and realize that I could have gotten it it I'd spent more time on the question stem and actual bulk of figuring out the answer. Too often, I think I waste time reading passages that are telling me crap I already know, such as equations I have commited to memory, etc.

This guy says he flat-out DIDN'T read the PS passages. Interesting, might have to experiment. What do you all think?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=42506

I didn't read the passage either, I went straight to the questions and referred back. I'm prone to forgetting what I read, it's better that way, because there are no main idea PS questions lol

I didn't read the passage either, I went straight to the questions and referred back. I'm prone to forgetting what I read, it's better that way, because there are no main idea PS questions lol

Modus Probandi, if you don't mind my asking, how did you do in PS with that method?