Reading SAS Printouts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irish80122

DCT at Miss State U.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is embarrassing to ask but I figure I had better ask it before I waste too much time doing it the hard way. Does anyone know of any online instructions or anything I can look at that will help me interpret SAS printouts? Sad, I know, but I am used to SPSS and looking at these things has me lost. I think I can eventually figure it out but I thought I would swallow my pride and come here first to see if anyone has some advice. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I could help but I only know SPSS. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, join the club. This is alright, I learn best by doing and I will need to know this because my future advisor uses SAS. It will behove me in the long run.

I'm apparently exactly opposite than everyone else--I used SPSS for my thesis and had to ferret out references to verify output since I've not used it in many, many years. Still, probably not quite so difficult.

I use SAS but I have a # of reference books and old printouts with notes on 'em to help me out, not sure about websites, except for the support ones to help with syntax itself.

It is alright, I broke down and sent a huge email to my advisor, so all will eventually be well (as long as she checks her email before Wednesday). I think I have an idea, but I just want to make sure...if not, I at least know which ones are significant so I can just say <.05 for my presentation, which is just practice anyways...lol, not like anyone cares.

Thanks anyways, I appreciate it!

Yeah, I only know SPSS as well...although I still wonder what I'm doing in that program half of the time. It is rather funny, because my professors claim to have different areas of expertise within SPSS (such as knowing how to do anytype of regression). Yet they can get lost in other areas. And then there's my advisor who can only use the DOS version of SPSS. :rolleyes:

Anyways, that was no help to you Irish, but good luck trying to figure everything out.

There's a very helpful book called The Little SAS Book: A Primer, which is invaluable.

Also, because it really is little, it's pretty cheap. ;)

There's a very helpful book called The Little SAS Book: A Primer, which is invaluable.

Also, because it really is little, it's pretty cheap. ;)

yes, this book is great for SAS but doesn't help much when you're looking for online instructions during the weekend ;)

It is alright, it is still something I can put on my wishlist for next year. It will get figured out one way or another, I just may have to bruse my ego a bit, but that can be good at times as well!

....I just may have to bruse my ego a bit, but that can be good at times as well!

I figured I'd warn you about future and repeated ego bruising......it happens in grad school, a lot, and sometimes from unlikely places. Typical sources of bruising include: your supervisor, senior RAs, and professors. Unlikely sources include: the prospective job where you are trying to ambitious...but instead they just laugh and say, 'try back in a few years', the person you ask for an assessment that doesn't exist (WISC-VI, etc), and that first exam you really thought you nailed....but instead it nailed you...to the wall.

I haven't experienced the job one or the assessment one...but i've seen both, and trust me...still painful!

-t

Oh trust me, it has happened to me. My favorite was emailing [email protected] without thinking about who abeck could be. He wrote back and was very nice, but I felt like a dufus when I realized it was THE Aaron Beck.

Brused egos happen, but you learn from them too, and that is valuable.

Try this website. http://www.stattutorials.com/SAS/

I've found it pretty useful in figuring out SAS. Unless you have already brought a book for SAS, I would hold off, your advisor might have a good SAS guidebook (which I can't remember off the top of my head). And by might, I mean she does!

Oh trust me, it has happened to me. My favorite was emailing [email protected] without thinking about who abeck could be. He wrote back and was very nice, but I felt like a dufus when I realized it was THE Aaron Beck.

Brused egos happen, but you learn from them too, and that is valuable.

OMG....I would have cracked up.

:laugh:

-t