Fav readings for psychopathology course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDidactic

Still Kickin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for new readings for a grad course.

It can be something global about psychopathology or disorder-specific. What do you think students should read?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

I love that 1990s article by Linehan and Wagner showing that 25% of their sample with BPD did not have an abuse history. I don't remember the exact citation, sorry.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really enjoyed The Collected Schizophrenias by Esmé Weijun Wang. Here is the description:

An intimate, moving book written with the immediacy and directness of one who still struggles with the effects of mental and chronic illness, The Collected Schizophrenias cuts right to the core. Schizophrenia is not a single unifying diagnosis, and Esmé Weijun Wang writes not just to her fellow members of the “collected schizophrenias” but to those who wish to understand it as well. Opening with the journey toward her diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder, Wang discusses the medical community’s own disagreement about labels and procedures for diagnosing those with mental illness, and then follows an arc that examines the manifestations of schizophrenia in her life. In essays that range from using fashion to present as high-functioning to the depths of a rare form of psychosis, and from the failures of the higher education system and the dangers of institutionalization to the complexity of compounding factors such as PTSD and Lyme disease, Wang’s analytical eye, honed as a former lab researcher at Stanford, allows her to balance research with personal narrative. An essay collection of undeniable power, The Collected Schizophrenias dispels misconceptions and provides insight into a condition long misunderstood.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking for new readings for a grad course.

It can be something global about psychopathology or disorder-specific. What do you think students should read?

TIA
I don't know if this is outside the scope of the course (as it leans into treatment and not just basic science of psychopathology), but Lilienfeld et al.'s (2015) Science and Pseudoscience in Clinical Psychology is an amazing resource for treatment considerations.

Reactions: 5 users
I also recommend some of the seminal papers from the HiTOP nosology consortium:

I don't know if this is outside the scope of the course (as it leans into treatment and not just basic science of psychopathology), but Lilienfeld et al.'s (2015) Science and Pseudoscience in Clinical Psychology is an amazing resource for treatment considerations.

RIP/RIR Scott.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Last edited:
I also recommend some of the seminal papers from the HiTOP nosology consortium:

Good reference. And I think this revised edition of the Oxford Textbook of Psychopathology (which focuses on HiTOP) would go well with it:

Amazon product

And this is a solid text on general theory (has excellent chapters by Millon and Meehl):

Amazon product