Reading to improve CARS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone reading materials like the New Yorker or the Opinion section of the New York Times, or research journals, and have seen an improvement in the CARS section?

Isn't it's better to just do more passage-based practice than reading extra materials?

Thank!

Members don't see this ad.

I use PR tactics for cars. Understanding question types and reading the question stem ahead of reading the passage helps.
Practice until you miss 0-1 questions per passage.
The rest of it is just your performance/endurance through 9 passages under exam day conditions, and of course a little bit of luck.

I do leisurely read the NYT outside of MCAT though

I use PR tactics for cars. Understanding question types and reading the question stem ahead of reading the passage helps.
Practice until you miss 0-1 questions per passage.
The rest of it is just your performance/endurance through 9 passages under exam day conditions, and of course a little bit of luck.

I do leisurely read the NYT outside of MCAT though

Thanks. I'll check out the PR CARS book. I have enough practice passages but I guess I was hoping that reading other material might help improve. I do read NYT, WSJ, and others, but not every day. I guess doing timed-passages is probably better in the long run, as I'm trying to do 3 passages per day.

How much time do you spend per passage?

Thanks. I'll check out the PR CARS book. I have enough practice passages but I guess I was hoping that reading other material might help improve. I do read NYT, WSJ, and others, but not every day. I guess doing timed-passages is probably better in the long run, as I'm trying to do 3 passages per day.

How much time do you spend per passage?

@DexterMorganSK - Reading the NYT, WSJ, Atlantic, Economist, etc are great for becoming a well-informed citizen, but they are not very good at preparing you for the CARS (at least not the average MCATer). This is for a few reasons:

1) The length and timing are wrong. You need to practice with the sorts of passages you'll encounter on the CARS which are 500 to 600 words in length. Reading a NYT or Atlantic article does not help you with this task.
2) You get points for answering questions, not reading. When you just read these resources, there is no way for you to check as to whether or not you actually understood what you read. It's not hard to imagine some pre-med reading 10 articles a day for three months thinking that he was improving his CARS, just to find out that he wasn't actually reading them. The CARS is a weird animal. You need to practice with that weird animal.
3) Newspapers and magazines are designed to be interesting and engaging....CARS passages are almost always boring. You need to practice with boring.
4) There are far more CARS passages and question sets out there (that are reasonably good) than most test takers will ever go through. Why waste your time only practicing for half of the CARS? Pick up an EK101, TPR, the AAMC question pack (and maybe Testing Solutions if you don't mind the shameless plug : ) and do a passage or two a day for one or two months before you really start studying for the MCAT. This will help you infinitely more than randomly reading articles without any sort of assessment attached.
If it's not apparent, I have a pretty strong opinion about this. I don't think this will help you and it may actually hurt you because you'll develop bad habits. I think if we're talking one to two years out, then by all means, go for it. I also think it might make sense for some MCATers who are nervous about their English. Besides those two cases, do passages...lots and lots of passages.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@DexterMorganSK - Reading the NYT, WSJ, Atlantic, Economist, etc are great for becoming a well-informed citizen, but they are not very good at preparing you for the CARS (at least not the average MCATer). This is for a few reasons:

1) The length and timing are wrong. You need to practice with the sorts of passages you'll encounter on the CARS which are 500 to 600 words in length. Reading a NYT or Atlantic article does not help you with this task.
2) You get points for answering questions, not reading. When you just read these resources, there is no way for you to check as to whether or not you actually understood what you read. It's not hard to imagine some pre-med reading 10 articles a day for three months thinking that he was improving his CARS, just to find out that he wasn't actually reading them. The CARS is a weird animal. You need to practice with that weird animal.
3) Newspapers and magazines are designed to be interesting and engaging....CARS passages are almost always boring. You need to practice with boring.
4) There are far more CARS passages and question sets out there (that are reasonably good) than most test takers will ever go through. Why waste your time only practicing for half of the CARS? Pick up an EK101, TPR, the AAMC question pack (and maybe Testing Solutions if you don't mind the shameless plug : ) and do a passage or two a day for one or two months before you really start studying for the MCAT. This will help you infinitely more than randomly reading articles without any sort of assessment attached.
If it's not apparent, I have a pretty strong opinion about this. I don't think this will help you and it may actually hurt you because you'll develop bad habits. I think if we're talking one to two years out, then by all means, go for it. I also think it might make sense for some MCATers who are nervous about their English. Besides those two cases, do passages...lots and lots of passages.

Best of luck!
What do you think about Kaplan Old test? (VR 60 or pre CBT verbal)

Best of luck!

I appreciate the feedback and what you have stated makes sense. I'll use the resources you have listed for my April exam. And, I will also try the 30-day guide from Testing Solutions. You guys have great reviews on Amazon. Congrats!

I appreciate the feedback and what you have stated makes sense. I'll use the resources you have listed for my April exam. And, I will also try the 30-day guide from Testing Solutions. You guys have great reviews on Amazon. Congrats!
I also suggest (FREE), do the passages on Khan Academy! they're long like the ones on the real MCAT. I have seen that Kaplan's are sort of short in comparison.

@5words - I'd really try to stay away from Kaplan. Their tests are notorious for being very passage detail heavy which is not representative of the MCAT's CARS section at all. Here's our review of the CARS materials currently available.
I already bought your test saving them for the last month as well... but keep on scoring 40/60 on the old Kaplan I'll try to switch to TPR next week.

Just took a Glance at all the 10 test this morning, And you are right!!! Kaplan has no many inference questions and those are the only one i am missing!! And your test looks so different... This is great news..

Last edited:
What are some other resources other than Kaplan for CARS passages? I'm trying to keep reading. I have the Kaplan books but am saving the AAMC question packs till later.

Dhooy7:

Try NextStep 108 passages in MCAT CARS it is around $35. Also if you can get your hands on TPR Hyperlearning verbal passage book. EK 101 Cars passage book is another well talked about resource. Khan Academy is also free. Try those, in addition to the AAMC question packs.

Anyone reading materials like the New Yorker or the Opinion section of the New York Times, or research journals, and have seen an improvement in the CARS section?

Isn't it's better to just do more passage-based practice than reading extra materials?

Thank!
So, are you improving?

So, are you improving?

Yeah, I think doing more passage-based question is the key. I didn't have the time to read nyt or other news articles but rather focused on doing 3 passages a day. I used to get 2/6 or 3/7 correct but now its 4/6 or 6/7, usually, so its a bit better. It can be done!

Goal = DO School. Took and scored on 1/28/17 (1st time). 504 (126, 122, 127, 129).

I think I'm helpless with CARS. s/p JW's course and 21 practice tests.... How do people understand CARS? I am missing something fundamental here. I did nothing but read journals/newspapers and AAMC Q's only prior to my 1/28/17 test.

Goal = DO School. Took and scored on 1/28/17 (1st time). 504 (126, 122, 127, 129).

I think I'm helpless with CARS. s/p JW's course and 21 practice tests.... How do people understand CARS? I am missing something fundamental here. I did nothing but read journals/newspapers and AAMC Q's only prior to my 1/28/17 test.
What did JW teach you, clearly it did not help. Do they help you learn to review your CARS practice? My friends tell me that is the key to getting better at CARS. Do you feel JW was worth it?

Best of luck!

Hello,
I read through your guide, and I know that you emphasize that reading novels will not help someone with CARS. I took the mcat on september 9th, but ended up voiding. On AAMC FL 1, I got a 123 on CARS, and on FL 2, I got a 126 on CARS. I'm not sure when I'm taking the mcat again, but I feel as though I could read books to improve my critical thinking skills. The anxiety on this section also gets to me. I practiced enough with the time constraints you've outlined in your guide, but when I get hit by a passage I don't understand (IE, dense philosophy) that screws me up, especially with my nerves. I kind of find philosophy interesting, so I've started reading Sophie's World, an introduction to philosophy. I don't know when I'm going to take the mcat again, but do you think I could read books like these (philosophy, art history, etc.) that I wouldn't normally read? I plan on doing CARS passages again once I figure out when I will take the exam, but I'm wondering if I can work on my critical thinking skills in the long term. I will have to redo CARS material when I start studying again, because I pretty much blasted through all of the good stuff the first time around (TPRH, EK101 (both the old and new one), some of the TS exams, all the AAMC material, NS 108)

I've asked you this previously, and your advice was that it wouldn't help me in the short term. However, I don't think I'll be taking the exam again for at least 6-7 months maybe (I need a nice break)

Hello,
I read through your guide, and I know that you emphasize that reading novels will not help someone with CARS. I took the mcat on september 9th, but ended up voiding. On AAMC FL 1, I got a 123 on CARS, and on FL 2, I got a 126 on CARS. I'm not sure when I'm taking the mcat again, but I feel as though I could read books to improve my critical thinking skills. The anxiety on this section also gets to me. I practiced enough with the time constraints you've outlined in your guide, but when I get hit by a passage I don't understand (IE, dense philosophy) that screws me up, especially with my nerves. I kind of find philosophy interesting, so I've started reading Sophie's World, an introduction to philosophy. I don't know when I'm going to take the mcat again, but do you think I could read books like these (philosophy, art history, etc.) that I wouldn't normally read? I plan on doing CARS passages again once I figure out when I will take the exam, but I'm wondering if I can work on my critical thinking skills in the long term. I will have to redo CARS material when I start studying again, because I pretty much blasted through all of the good stuff the first time around (TPRH, EK101 (both the old and new one), some of the TS exams, all the AAMC material, NS 108)

I've asked you this previously, and your advice was that it wouldn't help me in the short term. However, I don't think I'll be taking the exam again for at least 6-7 months maybe (I need a nice break)
How confident are you with the different question types on CARS? While I was studying for the MCAT, I did read various philosophy and arts pieces online when I had free time and I personally think this helped in getting past the language barrier. The difficulty then became more about the types of trick questions they can ask rather than how dense the passage was -- at least this was my experience with the real thing.

Hello,

@acetylmandarin - If you're 6 to 7 months out, I don't think it's a terrible idea to read a couple of articles a day from NYT, Atlantic, New Yorker, the Economist, etc, until you're four months out or so, but the truth is that there are probably opportunity costs to that approach. You could be spending that time on your pre-reqs (GPA is important), doing research, other ECs you find fulfilling, volunteering, etc. Or just working on the science for the other sections. An article or two a day will probably help a little bit, especially if English isn't your first language (in that case, I do recommend it), but I don't think it's going to help that much. If we're looking at the entire picture, getting into the medical school of your dreams, there are probably better ways to spend that time. Only you will know, but the CARS is a very artificial thing, and ultimately, it's been my experience that you only get better at the CARS by doing CARS passages under timed conditions and then reviewing said passages. You're probably too far out to start doing that because of the paucity of quality prep materials.

Best of luck and let us know if we can help in any way!

How confident are you with the different question types on CARS? While I was studying for the MCAT, I did read various philosophy and arts pieces online when I had free time and I personally think this helped in getting past the language barrier. The difficulty then became more about the types of trick questions they can ask rather than how dense the passage was -- at least this was my experience with the real thing.

So from all my prior preparation, I have trouble with extrapolating beyond what is said in the text. Usually, when I am reading, I try to create a mental frame of what the author is trying to get at. I can then usually answer questions from the context of that frame, but the frame often leads me to make incorrect assumptions about what the author is saying. Even when reviewing answers (I even found this problem with the AAMC material), I still wouldn't understand why my reasoning was wrong. I did find someone on here saying that you need to choose the answer that is LESS wrong, and I started doing that, but it is still difficult for me

@acetylmandarin - If you're 6 to 7 months out, I don't think it's a terrible idea to read a couple of articles a day from NYT, Atlantic, New Yorker, the Economist, etc, until you're four months out or so, but the truth is that there are probably opportunity costs to that approach. You could be spending that time on your pre-reqs (GPA is important), doing research, other ECs you find fulfilling, volunteering, etc. Or just working on the science for the other sections. An article or two a day will probably help a little bit, especially if English isn't your first language (in that case, I do recommend it), but I don't think it's going to help that much. If we're looking at the entire picture, getting into the medical school of your dreams, there are probably better ways to spend that time. Only you will know, but the CARS is a very artificial thing, and ultimately, it's been my experience that you only get better at the CARS by doing CARS passages under timed conditions and then reviewing said passages. You're probably too far out to start doing that because of the paucity of quality prep materials.

Best of luck and let us know if we can help in any way!

Thanks for the response. I'm out of undergrad, and I sat for the MCAT in september but voided. I'm working full time, so I'm not sure on when I'll retake or what kind of study schedule I'll follow (not sure how I'll re approach content review because I'm sure I'll forget stuff, especially because I'm too burned out from before so I'm taking a few months off haha),

Yes, there definitely is a paucity of prep materials for me, especially since I already tested once (I used basically all the good CARS stuff and will have to reuse it all)

@acetylmandarin - I couldn't agree more about choosing the answer that is LESS wrong. The most common scenario for MCAT takers on the CARS is to narrow down the answer choices to two and then consistently pick the wrong one. I have a theory that this is because we as humans are naturally risk adverse. So when an answer choice has "extra" material (material that is more likely to be wrong than right, because if you don't immediately recognize it as right, you've got to ask yourself, why is that) we are hesitant to risk getting rid of the material. With the less wrong approach, you are looking at all the material in the answer choice and asking, which one of these has the material that is least likely to be wrong. Such a useful way to check our unconscious biases.

It's probably good to take a little bit of time off to recharge, but I wouldn't take too much time off, because you'll lose the gains you made for this last attempt. With the other sections, it's okay to study a few times a week, but with the CARS, I'm convinced that consistent practice, even if it's only a passage a day, is the best way to go. If it's possible to build a routine where you complete and review one passage a day during your lunch break or right after work before you leave, you'll find that your gains build up over time. Then throw in a couple extra on the weekends. Having a full-time job makes it more difficult, but it IS POSSIBLE! You might just have to do your studying over a larger, more prolonged period of time.

As to CARS prep-materials, I'd take a look at TBR's practice tests if you've already used up all the standard materials. They're not the best, but encounter new and unfamiliar passages is really important for CARS practice. Best of luck!

@acetylmandarin - I couldn't agree more about choosing the answer that is LESS wrong. The most common scenario for MCAT takers on the CARS is to narrow down the answer choices to two and then consistently pick the wrong one. I have a theory that this is because we as humans are naturally risk adverse. So when an answer choice has "extra" material (material that is more likely to be wrong than right, because if you don't immediately recognize it as right, you've got to ask yourself, why is that) we are hesitant to risk getting rid of the material. With the less wrong approach, you are looking at all the material in the answer choice and asking, which one of these has the material that is least likely to be wrong. Such a useful way to check our unconscious biases.

It's probably good to take a little bit of time off to recharge, but I wouldn't take too much time off, because you'll lose the gains you made for this last attempt. With the other sections, it's okay to study a few times a week, but with the CARS, I'm convinced that consistent practice, even if it's only a passage a day, is the best way to go. If it's possible to build a routine where you complete and review one passage a day during your lunch break or right after work before you leave, you'll find that your gains build up over time. Then throw in a couple extra on the weekends. Having a full-time job makes it more difficult, but it IS POSSIBLE! You might just have to do your studying over a larger, more prolonged period of time.

As to CARS prep-materials, I'd take a look at TBR's practice tests if you've already used up all the standard materials. They're not the best, but encounter new and unfamiliar passages is really important for CARS practice. Best of luck!

Thanks. Maybe I'll remember to update you whenever I decide to take this exam again. Haven't studied since September 8th, and I haven't thought about med school related things at all. For now, I'm reading Sophie's World....