Reading to Prepare for Cardiology Fellowship

Started by pungche
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pungche

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

Just matched for a fellowship program starting 2008. I have a year off and am going to spend some time abroad working in the third world. During my off time I wanted to carry a reference to prepare for next year. I think I want to focus on cardiovascular physiology, EKG's but also get basics in all areas. I do not want to read Braunwald's or The Heart as I believe I could never make it through them. I have heard that the Mayo Clinic Borad Review Book would be a good choice. Do you have an suggestion for such a reference?

Thanks

I
 
Hey guys,

Just matched for a fellowship program starting 2008. I have a year off and am going to spend some time abroad working in the third world. During my off time I wanted to carry a reference to prepare for next year. I think I want to focus on cardiovascular physiology, EKG's but also get basics in all areas. I do not want to read Braunwald's or The Heart as I believe I could never make it through them. I have heard that the Mayo Clinic Borad Review Book would be a good choice. Do you have an suggestion for such a reference?

Thanks

I

dont' waste your time. If you have access to a computer, look athe table of contents for NEJM, Circ, and JACC to see the latest review articles and/or latest breaking clinical trials. Or www.theheart.org has good summaries of the latest research.

reading a textbook is a waste of time.
 
I agree with you, I definitly don't want to read a text book. But, I was thinking that there might be a good review book that I could read through that would set me up with a lot of basic cardiology. Like I said in the OP, cardiovascular physiology, EKG's, basics of ECHO...any thoughts. Anyone read the Mayo review book? Thanks
 
I agree with you, I definitly don't want to read a text book. But, I was thinking that there might be a good review book that I could read through that would set me up with a lot of basic cardiology. Like I said in the OP, cardiovascular physiology, EKG's, basics of ECHO...any thoughts. Anyone read the Mayo review book? Thanks

reading about echoes is useless unless you're looking at live images at the same time.

never found that reading about ECGs is useful either. you just have to interpret them and have somebody correct your reads.