Ready to eSubmit but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pgaspartan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have my application completed and am ready to click e-submit, but I am wondering if I should get another PT from the rehab hospital where I have been volunteering. I already have a PT (outpatient), an Anatomy Physiology Professor, and the equipment coordinator at the rehab hospital (I have this one because I work with her more than the PT's), for references.

Since January 2012, I have 110 hours at the rehab hospital and plan on continuing on into the Fall. Problem is that I haven't worked more or less with any of the PT's, so they don't really know me other than that I work hard, do anything that is asked, and they know I am applying to PT school. My other problem is that I really don't have any opportunities to talk with them because they are so busy and I am only there for 3 hours a week. Since it is hard to find time to talk with them, is it unprofessional to ask for a reference/recommendation in an email? Does anyone have a thought on how I should approach the situation? Am I good without the extra reference?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would never request a reference through email. Phone is as impersonal as I would ever get and only with someone I already knew very well and couldn't meet with. It shows a lot of respect and sincerity to request an LOR from someone face to face. Also, don't request an LOR from someone you don't KNOW will say nice things about you. A neutral letter or 'have not observed' responses show you never really had a relationship with the reference. Regarding the type of reference e.g. PT, academic make sure you have all the minimal requirements of your schools fulfilled. Do any of your programs require having two LORs from PTs? If not, don't bother asking.

Thanks for the input. That is what I was thinking in terms of being impersonal. I do have all the requirements the schools I am applying to are asking for and its not like I need another reference. I guess I am ready to submit. Now, all I need is to have my references actually finish the reference! Thanks again.