REAL feedback about Opt schools please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TNgal21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I recently interviewed with SCO and Nova but was a little scared after talking to students at Nova. For starters, I absolute love both schools and wanted my experiences to be great. At SCO, I didn't interact with many current students except the tour guides and the few students who stopped by to say hello. My overall impression was "this school is amazing; I don't know how any other program can top this!" At Nova, I had three tour guides and met a few students who sat down to answer questions. What realllyyy scared me about Nova was that one of the tour guides failed a class last year and is repeating the year. Granted, she's doing much better this year but I was taken back that she was so open about it. For the rest of my interview, I tried asking the administration about an actual number of students who fail/get kicked out during their 1st or 2nd year. Everyone would give me the run-around and reply with "well it's all about prioritizing your time, and we know you won't be in that position!" I'm sure that young lady didn't expect to be in that position either. So, what I asking to the forum is, (for current opt students) what is the ratio of students who fail or get kicked out your first or second year? Also, do professors/doctors still try weeding out students with the first two years of science knowledge? That's another rumor I hear about certain schools. I'm sure it happens at all schools that at least someone fails, but I didn't hear anything about it at SCO so maybe they were keeping it hush-hush while Nova students were more open about it. Any feedback would be great while I try deciding which school to attend in the fall! =)

Members don't see this ad.

Do a search for the thread about this.. there's a thread that's updated periodically with how many students are lost at some of the schools each year. SCO hardly loses any. I think the current 4th years have lost 2 or 3, and my class has lost 4 (I guess these numbers could seem high but we have a large class). I'll see if I can find that thread later on today.

School = hard. No matter where you go and who you ask. Some people are prepared more for it than others. Attrition rates at SCO are pretty low, but sometimes a person who fails a class/fails out does so for reasons other than being lazy when it comes to studying. Think of it this way, at least that girl is STILL at NOVA. Most schools have a probation program in tact so that you at least get one more shot after you make a royal mess of your grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is a pass at optometry school over 75%? Does it vary from school to school?

Do employers ask for transcripts when hiring?

Is a pass at optometry school over 75%? Does it vary from school to school?

Do employers ask for transcripts when hiring?

It probably depends on the school but I'm going to make a guess and say most schools are on a 10 point scale, so a 60 would be a D. However, each school has different policies regarding academic probation and that sort of thing.

OP, honestly I would avoid NOVA. I did a search and there was a poster here that had to repeat a year because he/she failed a course.

While it is unacceptable to fail a course in optometry school, it is equally, if not more, unacceptable for the institution to force the student to repeat an entire year.

Seems to me like the people who run NOVA might have had a hand in the current economic recession. (you know, because they are greedy and want your money...just a thought)

However, if NOVA was the only school you got into, then I would recommend attending it.

Good luck.

ok, so what are other schools policy's on failed courses? You just repeat the same course over? Is NOVA the only school with the whole year repeat policy?

ok, so what are other schools policy's on failed courses? You just repeat the same course over? Is NOVA the only school with the whole year repeat policy?

At SCO you're put on probation if you get two D's OR an F in one semester, or if your GPA is below 2.0.

If you get an F while you're on probation you're kicked out. If you get two F's regardless you're kicked out, or if you fail the same course again you're kicked out. There are a few other things that will get you kicked out but you meet with the student affairs committee first.. they decide whether to make you leave or put you back a year. It depends on each person's situation.

At SCO you're put on probation if you get two D's OR an F in one semester, or if your GPA is below 2.0.

If you get an F while you're on probation you're kicked out. If you get two F's regardless you're kicked out, or if you fail the same course again you're kicked out. There are a few other things that will get you kicked out but you meet with the student affairs committee first.. they decide whether to make you leave or put you back a year. It depends on each person's situation.

I don't mean to sound like an under-achiever, but what is the minimum grade/percent you need to pass a course?

Not sure about optometry school, but I find that the more work you do, the better the grade you can achieve in undergrad. Does the same apply to optometry school? If so, is it worth your time to achieve good grades since no employer really cares about your grades etc?

Is there a strong correlation between your optometry school gpa and the NBEO, or is that relationship similar to ugrad gpa and oat, where one can achieve a good score if they review and understand all the necessary material?

if u got into SCO.. GO to SCO!! 1) You can't beat the tuition.. 2) VERY low attrition rate...

The C/o 2013 didn't lose any students.

I have heard horror stories about NOVA and how they are one of the "weed" you out schools. Maybe not intentionally though.

I don't mean to sound like an under-achiever, but what is the minimum grade/percent you need to pass a course?

Not sure about optometry school, but I find that the more work you do, the better the grade you can achieve in undergrad. Does the same apply to optometry school? If so, is it worth your time to achieve good grades since no employer really cares about your grades etc?

Is there a strong correlation between your optometry school gpa and the NBEO, or is that relationship similar to ugrad gpa and oat, where one can achieve a good score if they review and understand all the necessary material?

It's a 10 point scale. So you need a 60 for a D and a 70 for a C if you want to avoid probation.

I don't think there's a strong correlation between GPA and NBEO. Is there a correlation, probably so. Employers prob won't ask for transcripts, but passing boards is kind of important, so yeah, you might wanna shoot for good grades. :idea:

It's a 10 point scale. So you need a 60 for a D and a 70 for a C if you want to avoid probation.

I don't think there's a strong correlation between GPA and NBEO. Is there a correlation, probably so. Employers prob won't ask for transcripts, but passing boards is kind of important, so yeah, you might wanna shoot for good grades. :idea:

70 = C- now, so isn't that technically not passing? They redid this whole grade scale stuff and I think that maybe now a C- isn't passing. I could be wrong. In fact, I'd be grateful if I was wrong.

SCO's attrition rate for c/o 2013 is 0%, but I know a few ppl in our class (2014) who are having some problems with our classes (*cough* neuro *cough*). I think we might have a few probationers this year, but I'm sure they'll get it figured out before long. My point being that our attrition rate is low, but our classes are by no means easier than anywhere else and tendencies really vary by class. JMU's class lost...what, 3? I can't remember what she said. While I might recommend avoiding weeder schools, I wouldn't base your decision on how much leeway you get for failing classes.

70 = C- now, so isn't that technically not passing? They redid this whole grade scale stuff and I think that maybe now a C- isn't passing. I could be wrong. In fact, I'd be grateful if I was wrong.

SCO's attrition rate for c/o 2013 is 0%, but I know a few ppl in our class (2014) who are having some problems with our classes (*cough* neuro *cough*). I think we might have a few probationers this year, but I'm sure they'll get it figured out before long. My point being that our attrition rate is low, but our classes are by no means easier than anywhere else and tendencies really vary by class. JMU's class lost...what, 3? I can't remember what she said. While I might recommend avoiding weeder schools, I wouldn't base your decision on how much leeway you get for failing classes.

Yeah, this stupid +/- crap gets on my nerves. So you're right, if you get C-'s instead of C's, your GPA will be below a 2.0 = probation.

We lost 4, but two of them dropped down to another class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I loved my experience at SCO so all of you SCO students are saying nothing new to me. My family would really prefer me at Nova because I have a lot of family around there, but I need to base my decision on the program offered at the schools. Are there any other Nova students who mind sharing? I've had a person send me a wonderful p.m. but I would like some more input. I'm pretty sure I'm going to put my deposit down at Nova and decide later. SCO I still have plenty of time before my deposit is due.

"While it is unacceptable to fail a course in optometry school, it is equally, if not more, unacceptable for the institution to force the student to repeat an entire year." At least at UMSL, students who fail a class may end up a year behind, but it is not that they are being forced to take the entire year or semester of course work over again. Being a year behind is mostly just due to scheduling conflicts- the student isn't able to take all of the next year's classes as well as the class(es) s/he failed because the class times conflict and the work load would be outrageous. Also, some classes have prerequisites that must be met before progressing to the next class in the series. For example, if a student fails our Ocular Motility course, s/he can't take Binocular Vision until s/he passes it. In situations where a student fails a course or two here, UMSL puts students on a modified schedule such that they are taking some courses with their class but other classes with the class behind them. So, students do end up being in school for an extra year, but their schedule of classes is more spread out, so the work is more manageable. I personally think it's a nice compromise. That way, students who maybe had a rough semester don't have to retake everything, and they are still able to continue toward their degree.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=696924&highlight=nova+facts

I don't know why people have to be afraid of school with high dropout rates for. If you study hard and do what you suppose to such as going to class and studying for test etc then you will be fine. Most of the students that got kick out is because they don't study, party too much, personal/family problems so it's their fault. I don't want an incompetent colleague. The school doesn't raise the bar so they can intentionally fail their students (>70% is passing).

Choose the school that fits you best. If you cheat your ways through undergraduate then YES be afraid but you have been studying like you supposed to then don't be scare of anything or any school. Good luck to all applicants out there.

Last edited:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=696924&highlight=nova+facts

I don't know why people have to be afraid of school with high dropout rates for. If you study hard and do what you suppose to such as going to class and studying for test etc then you will be fine. Most of the students that got kick out is because they don't study, party too much, personal/family problems so it's their fault. I don't want an incompetent colleague. The school doesn't raise the bar so they can intentionally fail their students (>70% is passing).

Choose the school that fits you best. If you cheat your ways through undergraduate then YES be afraid but you have been studying like you supposed to then don't be scare of anything or any school. Good luck to all applicants out there.

I'm not as much afraid of schools with high dropout rates, but it makes me suspicious that the faculty is still trying to weed out students. By the time I reach grad school, I expect (as heard at many schools including the Nova interview) to be taught so that I will graduate, a genuine desire to make me into a successful optometrist. I don't want to be competing with my classmates to stay above the "bell-curve" the professor wants to have in the class. As for wanting an easy school, that definitely isn't me! I want a strong education- I'll be dealing with a person's visual system! I didn't find undergrad a breeze and don't believe grad school will be either.

hey TNgal, how long did Nova give you to pay ur deposit? i know SCO gives a really long time, so I just wanna know now. I want to go to Nova since I live in Florida, but SCO sounds really good when i went to their school for an interview. i didnt realize how hard it was to decide on a school after acceptance lol. i thought the hardest part would be getting accepted

I got into NOVA with a 3.00 GPA and 320 OAT. I am married with a school-age kid. English is my second language and I wasn't born in the U.S. but I still manage to maintain >3.75GPA at NOVA. Thus it's really really hard to fail a class unless you don't study. If only the dropout rates that concern you about this school then don't let that stop you but if other factors also contributing to your concern then I would say choose a school that better fit you.

There are pros and cons at every single school so choose the one that you think you can survive for 4 years. Some people think that optometry is easy therefore it's consider as their back up but then they end up dropping out (voluntary) after the first year because it is hard and they would shoot for Medical school again.

good luck choosing...

While Wal-Mart won't ask for your optometry school transcripts, your class rank based on GPA determines picking for externships. Also, one could argue a high GPA could enable you to score well on your boards. For those considering a residency to expand their job market, residency programs look at both GPA and board scores. Many residency programs won't even let you apply unless you have at least a 3.0 GPA in optometry school.

hey TNgal, how long did Nova give you to pay ur deposit? i know SCO gives a really long time, so I just wanna know now. I want to go to Nova since I live in Florida, but SCO sounds really good when i went to their school for an interview. i didnt realize how hard it was to decide on a school after acceptance lol. i thought the hardest part would be getting accepted

They gave me 2 weeks from the date of acceptance. DIDO! I totallllyyyy think deciding a school is worse than waiting for an acceptance. I almost wish only one school accepted me so I wouldn't have to make so many spreadsheets comparing pros and cons!! (Yes, I'm a little OCD like that haha) SCO gives like 8 weeks if you're accepted before Oct 31st, 5 weeks if accepted Nov-Dec I think.. and it decreases the later it gets in the cycle. Mr. Robertson came to my school today for a pre-health discussion so he really cleared up some issues for me. When do you have to decide for Nova?

how much is the deposit you have to put down to secure your spot?

how much is the deposit you have to put down to secure your spot?

$250 non refundable but payable toward your tuition in the fall. There's another $750 some time in April too I believe.

oo tht isnt too much... i thought it would be like $600-1000

so basically someone can put down the deposit and secure their spot ,then if accepted to another school change their mind in April.

so basically someone can put down the deposit and secure their spot ,then if accepted to another school change their mind in April.

Essentially, yes but lose the $250 though and put a new deposit at the other school.

I wouldn't worry too much about NOVA, I'm a second year right now and I think anyone who gets accepted should EASILY pass EVERY class. That being said, I know things come up and one failed test could do it if you're borderline but I still believe anyone who can get accepted must have what it takes to pass. I don't feel like any of the teachers try to fail anyone, the tests are very fair, and you'll receive whatever you put into them.

at my interview, dr. sowka flat out told me that they have at times had 110 students matriculate knowing WELL that not all of them would graduate. he said it's like "overbooking a flight"... they aim for a class of 100 and sometimes get more and sometimes get less. this in itself really scared me, but aside from that, i thought it was strange how he could just say that with a straight face & no embarrassment. he continued it by explaining that some people come in more prepared than others so they expect the people who aren't at prepared to either not graduate or not graduate on time (meaning they WOULD still graduate, just on average 1 year later).

just wanted to add that in.

I think that in making the decision, you should seriously consider the reputation of each school.