Real Honest Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tolkien

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I've been reading all of the "advice for P1" threads on the forums, and, while they offer sound and sane advice - I simply don't like the complete generalization presented. In layman terms, I want specific advice pertaining to Pharmacy School!

I need to know your specific study habits, how much time you spent studying daily, study methods, social life and how it relates to a professional school, your feelings on which courses are hardest etc, etc.

I think that if a person could come out and be very specific on how they "live" in pharmacy school, it would really help all of us newbies with our nervousness.

If it helps, I'm in a 6 year direct entry pharmacy program.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you checked out this thread?: (It's got lots of studying tips etc)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=432449

As far as which courses are the hardest... that is really going to depend on what you excel in and what you don't. For me, pharmacology was probably the hardest because even though I'm pretty good at memorizing random facts there was just no possible way to ever know everything that they presented to you in class. Fortunately as the semester went on I got better at predicting what the professor might ask on an exam so I could focus on more important areas to study. It was still awful though... Many people think Therapeutics is really difficult, but I found it much more reasonable than pharmacology!

edited to add: I completely forgot about kinetics! Definitely the hardest class for 90% of the people in my class. I suppose it made pharmacology look like a cakewalk. :laugh:

I need to know your specific study habits, how much time you spent studying daily, study methods, social life and how it relates to a professional school, your feelings on which courses are hardest etc, etc.

My specific study habits? I wouldn't follow them exactly unless you have my memory and my brain. :laugh: I crammed the night before exam. Only read the book when professor explicitly stated he would have a quiz on the chapter (which we didn't go over in class yet). Slept in class, at least two lectures a day. Graduated with 3.76 GPA. Helps you much? I didn't think so. :p

As far as the hardest course, the incredibly boring and menial classes requiring raw memorization made me wonder whatever possessed me to go into pharmacy. Pharmacokinetics so often mentioned around I actually liked, because that was one I class I knew I am guaranteed an A in, without having to waste my time on cramming. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I've been reading all of the "advice for P1" threads on the forums, and, while they offer sound and sane advice - I simply don't like the complete generalization presented. In layman terms, I want specific advice pertaining to Pharmacy School!

I think that if a person could come out and be very specific on how they "live" in pharmacy school, it would really help all of us newbies with our nervousness.

If it helps, I'm in a 6 year direct entry pharmacy program.

Thanks!

tolkien,

Help me, help you...as someone here said. A 6 year direct entry - does that mean you are about 18-21 yo & haven't had much college experience yet?

If so...there's not much any of us can help with - even those who have just finished their P1 year in your exact same program. That's because, as Hels pointed out so well - we're not in your skin/head/circumstance.

What one person will find easy to incorporate into his/her life will be a bit harder for another.

But..if it gives you any consolation at all - I've been you (altho I wasn't in a direct 6 year program), but you as a P1 & I've raised 2 kids who are now beyond you - so....knowing that uncertainty, insecurity, nervousness, sheer terror & a feeling of anxiety/excitement/exuberance/boredom/frustration & as many other descriptive terms is all normal in any new experience. It doesn't matter if your're starting pharmacy school or medical school, starting your first day as a full fledged pharmacist & having passed the board exams with flying colors or your new job as a dop after having been a pharmacist for 10 years......these feelings are all to be expected.

Now - over time & with some experience & maturity - they lessen a bit in intensity. You'll look back over Halloween & think how crazy you were to be so nervous in August.

Some are looking back now & thinking how fast the years went by (or how crushingly slow as in WVU's case).

Just keep on thinking - you made it to this point all on your own. The anxieties you had during the process of getting qualified, applying & getting accepted, you somehow dealt with. You'll use those same resources in getting used to your new circumstance.

When things seem like they are getting out of control - call & talk to people who can give you good, sound advice - your folks (money, anxiety - they know your personality better than we do), your academic advisors (they know your school's particular policies & academic difficulties) & hopefully you'll find a professional mentor in the field who can help with your professional direction.

You can come here always & vent, ask, rant, get help......& I don't want to discourage you now. But, as Hels said, we are not you.

My advice is get on your school's P1 thread if its here. If its not - start one. Some P2 or older will chime in & help. You will have to find your own method of building in your free time, work time, study time & just plain old down time. If you read the thread on how to study...one thing you might have noticed is many of us changed over time & with different courses. What worked for some of us won't necessarily work for you.

Trust yourself - you can do this & you will be fine. It won't be without setbacks or frustration or just fear of what you don't know. But...try to let that nervousness become excitement of a beginning.....

Good luck & welcome to the profession!

tolkien,

Help me, help you...as someone here said. A 6 year direct entry - does that mean you are about 18-21 yo & haven't had much college experience yet?

<SNIP>

Good luck & welcome to the profession!

Hello sdn,

First of all, I would like to sincerely thank you for your kind and supportive reply - I have to admit, the most helpful in this thread thus far. I am always accepting advice from elders who walked in the same footsteps as myself.

You say you don't know me - so you can't give me specific advice pertaining to me. Well, you said in your own post "The anxieties you had during the process of getting qualified, applying & getting accepted, you somehow dealt with." But frankly - I never want to go through that for the rest of my life. You don't understand the mess I was in - no sleep, always sweating, fitgiding. My personality does not allow anything to go wrong, and when stuff *does* go wrong and I can't possibly do anything to fix it (except wait) - my body begins to break down, both mentally and physically.

Half my Christmas break was spent in sheer discomfort because I made a mistake and placed english as my "second language" - while it really was my first, indicating that I had to do the TOFEL or whatever the name is. And, as I could do nothing to contact the university while it was on break - I had to wait.

I suppose that could tell you a little bit about myself. I never really tried in highschool, except I got good marks. I don't expect the same to pass for university at all. That's why I need advice, I need specific advice on how to organize my files, how to take effiecent notes (me not even reading my own writing is a shame initself), and finally a daily "blue print" of what one usually does in pharmacy school.

You see - if I worried this much about school when I was paying NOTHING, how much do you think I'll worry when I'm paying 35,000$/yr, plus a whole year of my life. The possibility of failure is not an option, and while someone might say "that'll motivate you" - IT REALLY WON'T. That will just make me even more nervous, the even thought of that makes my legs shiver - how am I supposed to survive school in such a state?!?!

I don't know SDN. I think going to pharmacy school might have been a mistake - from what I'm hearing it's really stressful, and I'm not a stress-friendly person. I remember I wrote a physics exam once, and I got a 84% (OK), but my teacher informed me I would have recieved a 97% had I not made stupid calculation errors. I actually plugged the numbers into the calculator incorrectly. Why? Stress.

If it helps, I'm going to school in the states, but I'm from Canada - And that whole border-to-border transition just adds to my "eek!" file regarding university.

I understand your nervousness and anxiety about starting pharmacy school. I'm kind of freaking out a little myself. I'm not so worried about the curriculum as much as the number of hours I'll be working to supplement my student loans.

But every school will be different. There will be different curricula, professors, assignments, etc. And, as SDN mentioned, everyone is different. I think it would be hard for someone on a public forum that doesn't know you to give you specific advice when they know nothing about you or your school's program.

I know your nervous, but you may have to stumble along and figure it out on your own like most of the rest of us. And as SDN said, hopefully you can talk to family and friends for emotional support or to academic advisors for specific advice related to your school.

Some really good advice that will be applicable to every school is get to know your professors. On the first day of class, go to office hours and introduce yourself. Have a short conversation so that they get to know you. Then if you need help with anything in the class like understanding a topic, or if you need advice for how to do well in the class, he/she can help you. Your professor will know best how to do well in the class, i.e where to focus your reading, how to take notes, what to study, etc.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Hey,

What my (or anyone else's) study habits or social life really has no bearing on how you will perform in school. Each person is different and will react differently.

Hello sdn,

First of all, I would like to sincerely thank you for your kind and supportive reply - I have to admit, the most helpful in this thread thus far. I am always accepting advice from elders who walked in the same footsteps as myself.

You say you don't know me - so you can't give me specific advice pertaining to me. Well, you said in your own post "The anxieties you had during the process of getting qualified, applying & getting accepted, you somehow dealt with." But frankly - I never want to go through that for the rest of my life. You don't understand the mess I was in - no sleep, always sweating, fitgiding. My personality does not allow anything to go wrong, and when stuff *does* go wrong and I can't possibly do anything to fix it (except wait) - my body begins to break down, both mentally and physically.

Half my Christmas break was spent in sheer discomfort because I made a mistake and placed english as my "second language" - while it really was my first, indicating that I had to do the TOFEL or whatever the name is. And, as I could do nothing to contact the university while it was on break - I had to wait.

I suppose that could tell you a little bit about myself. I never really tried in highschool, except I got good marks. I don't expect the same to pass for university at all. That's why I need advice, I need specific advice on how to organize my files, how to take effiecent notes (me not even reading my own writing is a shame initself), and finally a daily "blue print" of what one usually does in pharmacy school.

You see - if I worried this much about school when I was paying NOTHING, how much do you think I'll worry when I'm paying 35,000$/yr, plus a whole year of my life. The possibility of failure is not an option, and while someone might say "that'll motivate you" - IT REALLY WON'T. That will just make me even more nervous, the even thought of that makes my legs shiver - how am I supposed to survive school in such a state?!?!

I don't know SDN. I think going to pharmacy school might have been a mistake - from what I'm hearing it's really stressful, and I'm not a stress-friendly person. I remember I wrote a physics exam once, and I got a 84% (OK), but my teacher informed me I would have recieved a 97% had I not made stupid calculation errors. I actually plugged the numbers into the calculator incorrectly. Why? Stress.

If it helps, I'm going to school in the states, but I'm from Canada - And that whole border-to-border transition just adds to my "eek!" file regarding university.

Good lord you need to learn to relax or you will never make it as a pharmacist. Being a pharmacist is all about working under stress and still being able to perform. I would seriously think about pharmacy school before you spend all the time and money.

If you think taking a test is stressful wait untill you have 5 five people waitng on scripts to be filled two lines on hold for the pharmacist someone waiting with a question ect....

Good lord you need to learn to relax or you will never make it as a pharmacist. Being a pharmacist is all about working under stress and still being able to perform. I would seriously think about pharmacy school before you spend all the time and money.

If you think taking a test is stressful wait untill you have 5 five people waitng on scripts to be filled two lines on hold for the pharmacist someone waiting with a question ect....

I agree.

I suggest you start reading up on SUP [stress ulcer prophylaxis] for therapeutics.

To be honest you seem to worry excessively, and that personality is not condusive to being a pharmacist, or professional school in general for that matter. Your anxiousness and worrying is contagious and people won't want to be around you during exams. . . there are a couple of people like that in my school and it's a huge mess.

You don't seem to possess the mental or physical faculties required to manage periods of increased stress, frustration or failure for that matter. I would strongly recommend delaying your acceptance by a year, and work on developing ways to manage stress and not cave in on yourself. Perhaps a year of experience outside of school would help you gain the perspective on what really matters. If your fingers are shaking too much to enter #'s on a calculator on a physics exam, I really worry how they'll be when you're calculating problems that patients lives depend on.

That's my real, honest advice.

I am always accepting advice from elders who walked in the same footsteps as myself.

I am sorry, but from your posts it seems you want someone to hold your hand, rather than someone to help you make your own decisions. Life doesn't really work that way. Even if you can get through pharmacy school that way, you will be on your own in the real world. People who only follow others' footsteps never really achieve anything. You need to find your own path, which best suits YOU. Read the articles out there, with general advice, answer the questions posed there, apply them to yourself and your strenghts. Do not be afraid of trial and error. Do not be afraid of errors - to err is human. Whenever you feel a worry taking over you - think, "Is there something I can do about it at this time?" If the answer is yes, then don't waste your time worrying, just do it. If the answer is no, firmly push the worry out of your head (visualize it, if it helps you) and forget it, because all it does is sap away your energy.

Seriously, if you are that unsure, wait a couple years before going into high-stress field such as pharmacy, and in such an expensive school, too. Go to your local university, study for a year or two until you get used to the college environment and yourself, and then if you feel ready, attempt pharmacy. I've seen people take a semester off/drop out because they couldn't cope. That would be a sorry situation to be in.

A lot of people have been saying that you should take a year or several off before attempting pharmacy school, but since you're in a 6 year program, I think you are in a good position. Those first two years of college should be something you treat as the training necessary to become a professional school student/pharmacist. Because, judging from your previous posts, you REALLY need training in stress management, and that's what undergraduate school is all about. You don't need a personal outline of everything that goes on in pharmacy school, and it wouldn't even be helpful since there are so many different types of people. There are the crammers, who do little between tests and have no life the weekend/day before the test. There are the consistent studiers, who attend each lecture and take careful notes as well as studying between lectures and reviewing, then come test time they just need one last, thorough review. If you couldn't automatically tell, the latter would be the best bet for you by far.

My advice is, use your first two years of undergrad to build your confidence, try to clean up your anxiety problems, and develop good study habits. And I can assure you, if you go to a school with a 6 year program, there are plenty of people in the pharmacy department who would be happy to help you understand the rigors of pharmacy school.

I just didn't want you to be discouraged by the last few posts. If you got accepted, you've hurdled what many would consider the most difficult obstacle.

Many schools offer study skills classes, this may be a great help for you. It will teach you different ways to study and you can figure out what method(s) work best for you. Also you may want to learn to meditate or if you are religious you may find prayer and religious study will work to calm you and make things managable.

So take a big breath, blow it out slowly, repeat and Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools offer study skills classes, this may be a great help for you. It will teach you different ways to study and you can figure out what method(s) work best for you. Also you may want to learn to meditate or if you are religious you may find prayer and religious study will work to calm you and make things managable.

So take a big breath, blow it out slowly, repeat and Good Luck

Yes and you could try chanting, levitation, communicating with the dead, witchcraft, voodoo and self mutilation or maybe pharmacy is something you are not cut out for.....

Yes and you could try chanting, levitation, communicating with the dead, witchcraft, voodoo and self mutilation or maybe pharmacy is something you are not cut out for.....

I know where to get the voodoo dolls!
http://www.neworleansvoodoodolls.com/index.htm
I've taken the trolley car to the French Quarter in New Orleans and seen these beauties with my own eyes.
MountainPharmD- I got a special needle just for you. :p

Hello sdn,

tolkien,

So...you've received a lot of advice here - some which perhaps is being received very well on your end.

Really - you'll never, ever know if you made the right choice until you reach the end - the end of your life, your professional life as a pharmacist (there are one or two here who are pursuing other ventures), your life as a working person - RETIREMENT!!!!

Honestly - there are times that I wonder - did I make the right choice? This is most often after I've been chewed out for doing what I thought was best at the time....and this still happens to me 30 years later! And - you are taking on this expensive venture in a country which is not your own. This, is hard....very, very hard for you!!!! But - I really would do this all over again & parts of me envies your position!

So - what do you need to develop to be a great pharmacist??? You need the basics - a really, really good background in chemistry & pharmaceutical chemistry, a good handle on physiology, know your pharmacology inside & out & know kinetics - not just the formulas, but what they're based on - because its hard to believe, but a drug gets "old" & a new drug takes its place. So - you need the "concepts" not the specific facts (those are the classes that Hel referred to - basic memorization which numbs the mind). But, when you really LEARN the concepts - then the facts become apparent - not readily..sure you need to read & learn, but you'll get there. I can't tell you what blueprint you'll need or how to learn it because of all I've said previously. But - keep in mind - you need to know the WHY of WHAT you do or advise.

Now - you've talked about your mistakes - the TOEFL mistake. If that is the greatest mistake you'll ever make - consider yourself lucky!!! I understand your Type A personality - you worry & stress about everything. You also have a hard time letting things go (after all - you can recount the feelings from 6 months ago very well!).

You could do what some have suggested - take a year off - but, honestly, what would that do? You need some time & space to grow up (& I don't use that terminology derogatorily (sp??)). Not every choice is a major one. Not every decision is a major one. It takes some time & experience to learn that. If taking a year off would gain you that, I'd say sure. But, if you were my child, I'd recommend you go & we stay in close communication. We'd need to talk & talk & talk yet again. Do your folks know of your propensity to worry? Do they provide some perspective when you need it? My daugher was not a worrier, nor is she now - but, she still has a hard time learning that each day is one day that gives you the chance to do only what you have within yourself - no more, no less. My son, however, is a worrier - worries about all the "what ifs & perhaps'" - I probably talk to her more than him, but each still need our "gounding" in reality which they don't yet experience.

However - understand...that this is indeed your personality type. You need to learn how to manage it. I am definitely that way. I don't care how you place the warning labels on a vial or how you package the promethazine vials to put in pyxis....but - I LIKE my Thanksgiving table set JUST THAT WAY!

But - professionally, I've learned that time & space allow me some ability to put things in perspective. I try to let time go by & think - what is the absolute worst thing that could happen from this experience? Well - if all it is is a poor grade... I can fix this the next time (remember - I said poor - not failing - we all have what we consider "poor"). Also, remember - you can only do the very, very best you can do under the circumstances you are presented at the time. Does that mean, do I wish I'd done some things differently??? ABSOLUTELY! But - I can only do & only expect my children, my employees, my colleagues to do the very best they can do that particular day. We are not perfect all the time, every day.

Likewise, my husband, drsdn is the most laid back type B individual you'd ever want to meet - until you talk to him about a dental restoration. Then, you'd think the world had stopped spinning. We all have those things that push our buttons & that make us crazy.

Right now - you are tremendously stressed about starting school. Know that all the advisors & professors know that all the P1s are equally stressed. Now, if you find that by Oct or Nov, things don't seem to be settling down into a pattern which you can live with - you need to seek some help. You might need to make some decisions...but, for right now - take a break, have some fun, know you've come this far & have done well. Give yourself some credit & know you won't be perfect.

Each school has its own student affairs office which can help you when things get tough - and I'd advise you to seek this out sooner rather than later if your grades don't come out as well as you'd like. It might be a nice place to visit & get to know the people, particularly since you're Canadian.

Stay in touch with your folks - vent, rant, cry.....its all only money & your life & happiness is worth far, far more than any money or debt you'd ever encounter.

Again - welcome & relax - you really will be fine. We are always here....There really is a great big community which want you to suceed. Hang in there & stay optimistic until life proves you otherwise.:)

Have you checked out this thread?: (It's got lots of studying tips etc)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=432449

As far as which courses are the hardest... that is really going to depend on what you excel in and what you don't. For me, pharmacology was probably the hardest because even though I'm pretty good at memorizing random facts there was just no possible way to ever know everything that they presented to you in class. Fortunately as the semester went on I got better at predicting what the professor might ask on an exam so I could focus on more important areas to study. It was still awful though... Many people think Therapeutics is really difficult, but I found it much more reasonable than pharmacology!

edited to add: I completely forgot about kinetics! Definitely the hardest class for 90% of the people in my class. I suppose it made pharmacology look like a cakewalk. :laugh:

Couldn't agree more about kinetics! I could have cared less about VD= Dose/CP and other arcane formulas, but somehow I was lucky to survive that class thanks to my friend. She had an uncanny talent for kinetics, while pharmacotherapy was my forte. We helped each other, quizzed each other, and generally provided moral support for each other when midterms and finals rolled around. Perhaps the two most difficult courses for me were biophysical properties of drugs (mostly organic chem) and of course, kinetics. All other courses were reasonably tolerable, and my favorites, so to speak, were pharmacology, pharmacotherapeutics, and believe it or not, pharmacy law.

In some cases, the teacher makes all the difference. For example, I later found kinetics to be not so much of a nightmare when a different professor taught the subject as a review topic in therapeutics class. He explained the topic in easier terms and even elucidated perhaps the ultimate reason for the importance of kinetics: because in reality if you calculate the wrong loading dose or some other similar kinetic-related factor and a patient dies as a result, you'd be in for a colossal lawsuit. :eek: Well, that's just an extreme way of thinking about it, a hypothetical situation of course, but at least it made me realize the importance of the ever-so challenging subject of kinetics. When I developed a different perspective, I was able to think of kinetics as a more realistic subject and understand the material better.

Hey,

Once again, thanks to all of you for your posts - It did not go unheeded.

Many of you say that my stress problem is not one that would help in the pharmaceutical profession. But to be frank, my Mother is a pharmacist and I always hang out at her pharmacy for volunteer hours; it's really quite simple from what I can tell. She says the key to a stress-free life is organization, everything has to have it's own place, and you need to know that. While this piece of advice might be taken and implicated in the pharmacy - I simply do not know how to move it to pharmacy school. I've never been one to take good notes/organize them properly. I need examples of how others did it, maybe I can take things from different examples and make a super-sandwich of organization :oops:

I don't mind being a pharmacist - I mind the schoolwork and how to get through it. A Pharmacist's job is a system "1) Recieve order -> 2) Fill order -> 3) double check", and I can work with systems.

Also - there was another piece of advice posted earlier regarding "talking to the professors after hours" - never! :p

I have never, ever, been one to click with the professors - nor have that many friends for that matter. It's a good thing and a bad thing, my personality is not one that can just jump into any situation and "boom- friendship." I'll give you an example - my closest friend has been my colleague since Grade 2. And over these 10 years, we've gotten to know each other, that’s why I can communicate well with him, understand what he says and the meaning behind his words. Everyone else? Casual. I'm not saying I don't greet people or anything - but I don’t like RELYING on people in order to succeed. I hate having to depend on someone, because to me it posses just more of a threat that something will go wrong. How am I possibly supposed to trust that this person's work will be as I want it? My school is a very very very small school (I think total 6 year student count is about 1000), meaning that I don't expect any "professional help" from offices and the such. On a better note - my friend (the one from grade 2) is coming with me to that school.

sdn: Thanks very much for you post - you're treating me like one of your kids :love:

Your section regarding grades leads me to ask another question. I believe the cut-off in my school is a 3.0 GPA, and if one receives below that in years one OR two, they get put on probation - if they didn't receive probation during 1 + 2, and they get below 3.0GPA on a single course in year 3 (I think pharmacology), they get kicked out of the school. Talk about stress? How hard is a 3.0+ to maintain in university based on your experience?

Secondly - the part about my family. Heh. Well, there's not much they can do, sdn. My parents originate from Greece, they have that strong "conservative, do it our way or get kicked out of the house" kind of attitude. Now, don't go around and tell me "THEY NEED TO MODERNIZE AND GET USED TO LIFE HERE" yada yada.. I've been told many times. But, I like my parents the way they are. They're paying FULLY for my education, providing me with everything I need, they consider me an adult now, and treat me as such. While this is expected - it poses a more serious problem. If I fail - I will not only be doing myself wrong, I will also be piercing my parent's heart, and I know for SURE that they will not sit and go "Oh, honey, you tried your best." It's simply doesn't exist in the stubborn Greek mind. My marks in Canada were mostly always above 80% (convert that to Americanize, I don't know! our fail <50%). Chemistry I got in the high-70s, not because I didn't enjoy it, but because my teacher taught with the old curriculum. Meaning he stuffed Year 13 CHEM (which didn't exist now) into YEAR 12 CHEM.

I was very intrigued by chemistry, the history of the atom, the conflicts, failures, and success of many individuals. Plank's doubt for his constant, Einstein taking the risk and using plank's constant for his own research. Bohr and his conflicts with Thomas. It all makes my feet tickle in excitement. Now, come actual calculations - I didn't do very well on those because, again, I was forced to learn from his method and not my own.

Now I've been babbling on for too long, I'll give you all a chance:cool:

Hey,

Also - there was another piece of advice posted earlier regarding "talking to the professors after hours" - never! :p

Umm...wow:confused:. I guess if you're doing poorly in a class and the choice is either talk to the professor for help or fail the course, you're screwed. Seriously, stop whining. Learn the material, do the work, pass your classes.

Hey,

Once again, thanks to all of you for your posts - It did not go unheeded.

Many of you say that my stress problem is not one that would help in the pharmaceutical profession. But to be frank, my Mother is a pharmacist and I always hang out at her pharmacy for volunteer hours; it's really quite simple from what I can tell. She says the key to a stress-free life is organization, everything has to have it's own place, and you need to know that. While this piece of advice might be taken and implicated in the pharmacy - I simply do not know how to move it to pharmacy school. I've never been one to take good notes/organize them properly. I need examples of how others did it, maybe I can take things from different examples and make a super-sandwich of organization :oops:

I don't mind being a pharmacist - I mind the schoolwork and how to get through it. A Pharmacist's job is a system "1) Recieve order -> 2) Fill order -> 3) double check", and I can work with systems.

I have never, ever, been one to click with the professors - nor have that many friends for that matter. It's a good thing and a bad thing, my personality is not one that can just jump into any situation and "boom- friendship." I'll give you an example - my closest friend has been my colleague since Grade 2. And over these 10 years, we've gotten to know each other, that’s why I can communicate well with him, understand what he says and the meaning behind his words. Everyone else? Casual. I'm not saying I don't greet people or anything - but I don’t like RELYING on people in order to succeed. I hate having to depend on someone, because to me it posses just more of a threat that something will go wrong. How am I possibly supposed to trust that this person's work will be as I want it? My school is a very very very small school (I think total 6 year student count is about 1000), meaning that I don't expect any "professional help" from offices and the such. On a better note - my friend (the one from grade 2) is coming with me to that school.
Well, I'm not sure that you should think of it as having to "click" with your professor. I also am not the type of student who wants to sit around and bond with my professors, and I don't have a lot of close friends. But, it can be very helpful to at least feel comfortable talking with your professors about a specific question, or even just something not related to the class but related to your future plans as a pharmacist. Remember (and this is particularly true for a smaller school) many professors do what they do because they like interaction with students and they really want to help you succeed. It can certainly be intimidating the first few times you approach a professor, but the rewards from that interaction can be great.

Another comment - even in a small school, there will be some sort of arrangement about student counseling. You might benefit specifically from some help with managing your anxiety/worry issues. We all worry to some extent, and as somebody earlier in the thread pointed out, many of us pharmacists tend to be Type A people who want everything to go just according to plan. Unfortunately, school and life just aren't always like that, and there's no shame (or there shouldn't be) in getting some help with this if it is affecting your ability to function in school.

I can also relate to your comments about your parents. I do not have immigrant parents, but I did have a mom in particular who had a very difficult time acknowledging that anything less than perfect (grades, behavior, etc.) was ok. She really wanted everything to be done the way she wanted it done. I've been away from home long enough now to realize that you can't live your life for your parents. Ultimately, they will not be around anymore and the life you live everyday needs to be one that will make YOU happy. Oddly enough, my mom has been very unhappy with my decision to go back to pharmacy school (that's probably a topic for a whole other post!).

Good luck, and remember that your fellow P1 students will all have similar feelings - you aren't alone!

I don't like RELYING on people in order to succeed.

Your section regarding grades leads me to ask another question. I believe the cut-off in my school is a 3.0 GPA, and if one receives below that in years one OR two, they get put on probation - if they didn't receive probation during 1 + 2, and they get below 3.0GPA on a single course in year 3 (I think pharmacology), they get kicked out of the school. Talk about stress? How hard is a 3.0+ to maintain in university based on your experience?

You shouldn't have to rely on other people unless you want to, PERIOD. The only time you'll absolutely have to worry about another student is if you have group work. I like to be honest so I'll say it- I HATE GROUP WORK. Group work should end when we graduate high school. It's just too difficult to organize busy college students. I usually organized the group work and delegated it out.
I make "A"s in group work, but boy do I hate it.
In my experiences, other people have relied on me which I think is really annoying. A psycho exboyfriend's biology lab report comes to mind...

In regards to the 3.0GPA, organic chemistries and maybe biology classes should be the only classes that you get a "C" in. I believe, because the classes are usually very difficult, if you pass it, you've learned enough. I wouldn't stress out too much about making a "C" within the first two years- that's the only time they allow them, right? Just don't make "C" grades a habit.
I'm embarrassed to say this, but I actually made a "D" in a class during undergrad. The class syllabus had been altered, because of that lovely storm Hurricane Katrina, so things went bad in the class- let's just say we had two very different professors, and I couldn't drop the class once the second professor came in. The class design has been changed since then, lucky undergrads.
Needless to say, I made an "A" in the same class during pharmacy school.

Hey,

I hope, since you say you volunteer in your mothers pharmacy, that you know theres a lot more that fits in that process. Struggling with insurances to get something covered, checking for drug interactions, disease state interactions. Has your mother clarified this for you? We are not simply dispensing machines.
"Receive, fill, check" is definitely not ALL there is to the process

On the other hand since you are so new to school I agree with some others that study skills classes might be a good idea.

As for the anxiety/worry. I for one think a healthy amount of it is good. Doesnt anyone know the urban legend that pharmacists have been shown to be the most anal retentive profession (as a group)? And isnt that good?

I think its good we might all be a little OCD, especially those in retail. Even after a day someone who didnt worry as much, didnt have that slight anxiety/OCD might slip up and make a mistake.

As for meditation I actually agree. Hehe. Just find something that clears your head and you enjoy, so you can get that "you time" away from everything pharmacy. For me it was dj'ing during school and it allowed me to be refreshed a take a little break. I'm not saying go out and party, I'm saying find something that relieves the stress and "recharges" you

Good Luck. you have to be proactive about this and just discover some things on your own, but I hope all goes well.:)

Hey,

Thank you all for your advice thus far. In the words of a previous poster - I'll "stop whining" right now and suck it up. If any of you (cough sdn cough) have anything more to say, please feel free.

Again thank you for the help, from what I've gathered here; the only thing to do is just sit tight and ride it out.

Thanks

Edit: In regards to the 3 Step pharmacist procedure. Erm, it is like that in Canada, I'm afraid. There is no insurance policies, and if there is a payment plan with a employment company, it's the PATIENT which handles the paper work. All my mother has to do is order drugs, maintain careful records... and dispense. :p

hey tolkien...

if i had to guess, from the descriptions of the school you have posted, and the fact that you're from canada...i bet you're going to ACP.

in that case, as an alumnus, i have a bit of advice for you. if i guessed wrong...well, take what i say with a grain of salt.

it's a VERY small school and the pressure to maintain the GPA requirements is real...but everyone is in the same boat. and you dont have to be a social butterfly to benefit from the 'we're all in this together" mentality. the college is tough, and sometimes it feels like they {admin} forget the needs of the students. so it becomes very much a us[students] against them environment...everyone shares the same pain. you will feel supported, just by being there. i never felt it was all that competitive.

with regard to professors....i did "click" with some of them, which helped alot. your job is to do well, theirs is to teach well and be a resource for students. don't feel weird asking for office hours help....that's their job and they are more than happy to oblige. it also helps, if you aren't doing well, to show up for office hours and express an interest in doing better. if they never see you, they will think you dont give a damn. so, use the professors as much as you need to.

good luck, relax....dont study too hard! you'll be fine..
take up a hobby, too...play guitar, knit, something...you need to do something else with your brain besides pharmacy. 10-20 minutes a day doing something else...you WILL feel refreshed and better able to study.

Hello tussionex,

I regret to inform you that it's not ACP - but actually Boston. Same curriculum, same student population, possibly an exact replica (or so they say). But thank you for your advice.

I was just wondering, did you ever experience a professor who was -out- to make students fail? Or a classmate/pupil who was always against you? Secondly, how do you feel about study-groups in a small school? - are they "exclusive" or can anyone just pop in?

Finally, could you tell me your typical day as a student in a small pharmacy school? do the professors really give a damn? how is your day split up? How did YOU study under the pressures?

Thanks mate.

... could you tell me your typical day as a student in a small pharmacy school?

Hi tolkien,

I was just curious, by "small" pharmacy school, approximately how many students are in your P1 class in Boston? I graduated from a private university, and the typical P1 class size was 180-200. P2 numbered about 160-180, and the remainder (another 160-180) were out on clerkship rotations. It was very competitive to get into pharm. school, but once in, fortunately there wasn't a whole lot of competition amongst us. Some students naturally excelled, while others got by pulling the bare minimums (i.e., the minimum GPA of 2.0 to be able to start clerkship rotations on schedule). Good luck with your studies!

:)

Hey,

Thank you all for your advice thus far. In the words of a previous poster - I'll "stop whining" right now and suck it up. If any of you (cough sdn cough) have anything more to say, please feel free.

Again thank you for the help, from what I've gathered here; the only thing to do is just sit tight and ride it out.

Thanks

Edit: In regards to the 3 Step pharmacist procedure. Erm, it is like that in Canada, I'm afraid. There is no insurance policies, and if there is a payment plan with a employment company, it's the PATIENT which handles the paper work. All my mother has to do is order drugs, maintain careful records... and dispense. :p

pm me - Mountain is bored reading our "missives"....:(

Hi tolkien,

I was just curious, by "small" pharmacy school, approximately how many students are in your P1 class in Boston? I graduated from a private university, and the typical P1 class size was 180-200. P2 numbered about 160-180, and the remainder (another 160-180) were out on clerkship rotations. It was very competitive to get into pharm. school, but once in, fortunately there wasn't a whole lot of competition amongst us. Some students naturally excelled, while others got by pulling the bare minimums (i.e., the minimum GPA of 2.0 to be able to start clerkship rotations on schedule). Good luck with your studies!

:)

Yes, I believe that's exactly the size estimated. I think we had about 200 for my year, and about 1000 total of all the years combined.

yep, boston is basically another ACP in a more interesting city.

yes, i had plenty of professors who seemed out to get us. you'll always feel that way when you're elbow deep in studying. but most professors [and many of them are now good friends of mine] are NOT out to torture the students, they actually give a damn and are just pushing people to excel. i know it's hard to remember that when you feel like they're kicking you a**, but no professor really says..."oh, let me go screw the students"

we had lots of study groups....ACP is really polarized by fraternity, and the brothers/sisters tend to cluster together, share old tests, etc. i heartily advocate joining a professional fraternity for that reason alone...you get a test bank and lots of advice from older brothers.

that being said, there were lots of "independant" study groups...neither them or the Greek ones were very formal...and people could and did pop in a join with questions. i wasn't really a study group kind of girl...i studied with my brothers sometimes [esp during pledging] but mostly with a few friends. i was one of those people who didn't get stressed about tests, so i just chilled, did my reading while hanging with my friends....we would talk about the day, about people in class, about what we were learning...it doesn't have to be too formal.

good luck!

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but have you ever sought treatment for your anxiety? Maybe your solution lies in treating the anxiety rather than having to continually manage it and keep it under control.

Hey,

No I never considered that - and frankly I don't know of any medication that would do that. I don't think its that serious of a problem for medication :(

Since when is a school with 200 people in a year considered small? It's average according to the ASP... and as I am a proud graduate of a program with 65 people in a year, to me 200 is too many. :p