real MCAT vs. CBT practice exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsegalBSD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. this is my first post, so i apologize if this has been answered already many times over.

i have taken a lot of TPR and AAMC exams, but i was curious how the format of the actual exam compared to these online diags. for example, in the verbal section, is the text nicely spaced as it is in the AAMC exams, or is it jumbled together as in the new TPR diags. if you highlight one passage then skip to the next, will your highlighting be saved upon returning to the passage for review?

is highlighting available in all sections of the exam? if so, is highlighting conserved as i mentioned above?

finally, is marking available for questions you have to guess on? is there a function to review all marked questions at the end of the exam?

thanks for your help.

js

Members don't see this ad.

this doesn't directly answer your questions, but both CBT exams I've taken (jan and may) have had the verbal section be significantly longer than the practice tests..

hey everyone. this is my first post, so i apologize if this has been answered already many times over.

i have taken a lot of TPR and AAMC exams, but i was curious how the format of the actual exam compared to these online diags. for example, in the verbal section, is the text nicely spaced as it is in the AAMC exams, or is it jumbled together as in the new TPR diags. if you highlight one passage then skip to the next, will your highlighting be saved upon returning to the passage for review?

is highlighting available in all sections of the exam? if so, is highlighting conserved as i mentioned above?

finally, is marking available for questions you have to guess on? is there a function to review all marked questions at the end of the exam?

thanks for your help.

js

no the verbal is not jumbled like the TPR exams. but the formatting of the exam is the same as the new TPR ones, like "item 1, item 2" and how you click on the entire box and press "mark" if you need, etc. i believe you can highlight on all three sections as well.

this doesn't directly answer your questions, but both CBT exams I've taken (jan and may) have had the verbal section be significantly longer than the practice tests..

What does significantly longer actually correlate to?

10, 20, 30, 40 extra lines?

I really would like an idea so I can make sure I can finish.

I have heard many say it is longer but a close approximation would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the exam May 25th, and don't remember any particularly long passages. I found them to be right on par with the AAMC practice tests (8,9,10), though maybe I was so hopped up on energy drinks I just didn't notice.

I thought the verbal passages on the June 15 exam were longer (maybe by a paragraph or so)than any AAMC or Kaplan practice exam. You also should be aware that there is no "search" function on the real test. Other than verbal, the passages seemed very similar to the AAMC practice test.

I thought the verbal passages on the June 15 exam were longer (maybe by a paragraph or so)than any AAMC or Kaplan practice exam. You also should be aware that there is no "search" function on the real test. Other than verbal, the passages seemed very similar to the AAMC practice test.

For the verbal, was the content at least similar besides the extra length?

I think I can handle a paragraph, but I am sort of used to their style of questions and how to get the right answer.

The style and content of both the passages and questions seemed to be the exact same as the aamc tests. One paragraph doesn't seem like much, but as dense as the passages are, it can add up to throw off your timing toward the end of the section. I wouldn't be too worried as long as you are finishing the practice tests with 3 or 4 mintues to spare. I finished the real exam, I just didn't have as much time to review as I would have liked.

The style and content of both the passages and questions seemed to be the exact same as the aamc tests. One paragraph doesn't seem like much, but as dense as the passages are, it can add up to throw off your timing toward the end of the section. I wouldn't be too worried as long as you are finishing the practice tests with 3 or 4 mintues to spare. I finished the real exam, I just didn't have as much time to review as I would have liked.

I average between 7 and 8 minutes a passage reading at a normal pace.

Thanks for the advice!!