Dr. Bob Doe

The four yonko of medicine
Jan 9, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,

I don't know if I should spend 7 months studying for the mcats (3.5 mons content review + 3.5 mons practice questions and tests) with studying about 3 hours a night, or if I should just go 3 months of hardcore intense consecutive study.

With the first choice I am not really sure if I'll be able to remember those formulas 7 months from now realistically but hey you can't go wrong with quantity. With my second choice I am sure I can be disciplined enough to study everyday and all day, but i'm not sure if 3 months would be enough time for content review (slow reader), repetitive practice and several practice exams but it seems to be enough for everyone else? What would you do?

Thanks!

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
You don't need 3.5 months of content review. The key to do well is understanding how the MCAT works (and how to sharpen reasoning and analytical skills within time constraint), which is done by doing lots of practice passages and full length exams. Khan Academy can help take care with most content review, supplemented with other prep materials like EK/Kaplan

OP
Dr. Bob Doe

Dr. Bob Doe

Jan 9, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
You don't need 3.5 months of content review. The key to do well is understanding how the MCAT works (and how to sharpen reasoning and analytical skills within time constraint), which is done by doing lots of practice passages and full length exams. Khan Academy can help take care with most content review, supplemented with other prep materials like EK/Kaplan
Content review just isn't doing it for me tbh. I learn best by practicing more so than reading. Are EK 1001 questions in bio, verbal, physics, orgo, and chem still good study material for mcat 2015?

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
Content review just isn't doing it for me tbh. I learn best by practicing more so than reading. Are EK 1001 questions in bio, verbal, physics, orgo, and chem still good study material for mcat 2015?
That is an excellent strategy and you should follow it. EK1001 has mixed reviews though, since some questions are bad/incorrect. Good for extra practice though, especially for verbal

OP
Dr. Bob Doe

Dr. Bob Doe

Jan 9, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
That is an excellent strategy and you should follow it. EK1001 has mixed reviews though, since some questions are bad/incorrect. Good for extra practice though, especially for verbal
What do you recommend for practice material then?

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
What do you recommend for practice material then?
Hm. It's comprehensively outlined in the MCAT Discussion Forums but both EK and TPR are highly recommended. AAMC FL and question packs are essential. Khan Academy is very helpful, if not necessary practice. Kaplan 7 book set is okay for good practice and difficult practice FLs, while TBR and NextStep are good for additional FLs in sciences and verbal respectively.

Reactions: Dr. Bob Doe

Glazedonutlove

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hm. It's comprehensively outlined in the MCAT Discussion Forums but both EK and TPR are highly recommended. AAMC FL and question packs are essential. Khan Academy is very helpful, if not necessary practice. Kaplan 7 book set is okay for good practice and difficult practice FLs, while TBR and NextStep are good for additional FLs in sciences and verbal respectively.
Who recommends tpr for the new exam? except for content maybe.

BurghMed

Shaka Bra!
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2013
Status
Medical Student
7 months is way too long, your burn out will be apparent past month 3, imo. 3 months of intensive study that includes about a month or so of straight review/practice test taking (IF you have the time/resources) was appropriate for me (old mcat, to be frank). There are many good threads on SDN that discuss the best resources for MCAT prep, in fact too many to count...

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
Who recommends tpr for the new exam? except for content maybe.
I thought the verbal passages were good for CARS. Science passages may be too easy. And i was referring to the hyperlearning set recommended by some in the MCAT Forums

Glazedonutlove

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2015
Status
I thought the verbal passages were good for CARS. Science passages may be too easy. And i was referring to the hyperlearning set recommended by some in the MCAT Forums
can't speak for hyperlearning, but I would not recommend the actual books for the new mcat especially if one is interested in the questions... those passages are nothing like the real exam

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Your best bet for FL's are the ones provided by AAMC, EK, TBR and Next Step(in that order in my opinion but they are all solid and helpful). All in all that's at least a dozen practice tests. I recommend all old AAMC practice tests for CARs practice. Alot of the newer AAMC practice tests have bio passages worth doing as well.

Content review for many Khan Academy and EK is sufficient. For others, it will take doing the full BR book to really have everything down pat and be able to perform at a high level on the passages. As for TPR and other sources I would only recommend parts for specific sections. TPR is good for hyperlearning science and verbal workbooks. Kaplan does a good job with its biochem content review in the biochem book. Go through all these types of sources listed and see what works best for you. Do not be cheap either; if you find you really need those FL;'s and the expensive workbooks from PR or BR passages to get things down, spend the money. It'll be worth it.

OP
Dr. Bob Doe

Dr. Bob Doe

Jan 9, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Can someone please explain to me what EK has to offer? I've seen their websites and the only difference they have from my kaplan books are the meager 4-7 topical exams that are in 2015 mcat format. Is this a sufficient reason for me buying them?

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Can someone please explain to me what EK has to offer? I've seen their websites and the only difference they have from my kaplan books are the meager 4-7 topical exams that are in 2015 mcat format. Is this a sufficient reason for me buying them?
Their Full Length exams you purchase separately are very good

Glazedonutlove

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2015
Status
I don't think more than a couple full lengths are necessary--they didn't help me much but maybe that's because they were not good quality then. Either way, I just did a lot of practice passages, the aamc FL, and EK1 and it worked out well.

OP
Dr. Bob Doe

Dr. Bob Doe

Jan 9, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think more than a couple full lengths are necessary--they didn't help me much but maybe that's because they were not good quality then. Either way, I just did a lot of practice passages, the aamc FL, and EK1 and it worked out well.
I know I'm a broken record but where can one purchase quality practice passages (not actually full lengths) to prepare for the 2015 mcat?