Realistic plans for this summer ? Please share...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skeletor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated May 2007, departmental honors in biology, minor public leadership and service. 3.4 GPA.

I'm turning 23 next month.

I have been working as a senior research laboratory technician ever since (full-time employment, paying off student loans).

I've been shadowing my family optometrist, who opens her clinic every other Saturday, plan to shadow her opticians for the rest of the summer.

I've been prepping for the OAT almost every night since the beginning of May, trying to get 4 hours in every night. I got some old MCAT to study out of (old as in 2006), I ordered some OAT notecards, and plan to buy OAT Achiever software for further practice on my computer. I can use my GRE book to study for the quantitative section (which the MCAT doesn't cover).

I have at least four folks willing to write me recommendations (boss, professor, optometrist, and character reference).

I am mostly stressed out about the OAT and getting a good score, I feel like it will make or break my chances. I have not signed up for the exam :(

I plan to apply to the following schools:

Ferris State University Big Rapids(MI)
University of California - BerkeleyBerkeley(CA)
University of HoustonHouston(TX)
University of Missouri - St. LouisSaint Louis(MO)
Ohio State University, TheColumbus(OH)

Indiana University Bloomington(IN)

SUNY State College of OptometryNew York(NY)

All feedback is welcome :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you graduated from college in may 2003, 6 years ago?

yea if you graduated in may 03 and your only 23.... that would mean you graduated college at 17...impressive

Assuming its a mistype though, your gpa and letters (as long as they are very personal) sound good. A solid OAT score should make you a competitive applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Silly me, I graduated in May 2007 (the correction has been made above), so I a graduated a month before I turned 21. Earlier than many folks, I had a lot of growing up to do after graduating needless to say.

Thanks for your input.

Assuming its a mistype though, your gpa and letters (as long as they are very personal) sound good. A solid OAT score should make you a competitive applicant.

Agreed.

Don't stress about the OAT too much... if you're well prepared for it, it's a pretty straightforward test.