Realistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fatwes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently going to be a 5th year with a 3.1 overall GPA science ~3.0. Im studying for the MCATs and hoping to do well. At best I am looking at 3.3 overall and 3.2 science GPA. Lets say I get a 33 MCAT. Will I most likely have to do a post bach program?

I only decided last semester that I wanted to become and MD and this uncertainty has been holding me back. After I decided to commit myself to med school I got a 4.0 last semester but it may not be enough.

any thoughts or comments would be great

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

with only 1 semester of upward trend which it seems is all you have, you will have a very hard time getting over that 3.2 GPA. You could get in as people every year do but the odds arent in your favor. A very good MCAT could override that GPA but only to a certain extent. Furthermore, if you just started the pre med path, have you even started volunteering what are your ECs like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me give some more background:

I started school as a Computer science major and switched junior year to Bioinformatics. I have most of the premed requirements but a few are left thats why im taking a 5th year. I have an internship at the Department of Defense for 2 summers, Volunteered at Johns Hopkins and am currently working for the NIH(summer). I have volunteered here and there during school but dont have too many EC's. I also have a publication pending.

Your ecs and clinical seem minimal at best, combine that with a poor gpa and things are not looking good. Its not all lost though, this last year do well, start getting clinical and non-clinical volunteering asap. After 1 full year of doing the right things you would increase your chances. You may end up needing to do a post-bacc but still youre not at the point of no return. good luck:)

I am a bit confused. Is ~350 hours of volunteering not that much? thanks for the comments!

I am a bit confused. Is ~350 hours of volunteering not that much? thanks for the comments!

Its mostly the GPA

if you had a 3.9 and a 38 MCAT

it wouldnt be as much of a problem

For most new pre-meds, the realization of what it takes to enter medical school can be a little more that humbling. It is a kick ass competition to get in. Everyone has a ton of EC's, research, donating a kidney, saving poor indian children from starvation, etc. However, don't fret, for if you have your eyes set on being a doctor, you can change your future.

Advice:

-Shadow multiple doctors.
-If you are going to apply, apply majorily broad and realistically (talk to your mentor or equivalent).
-research in anything you are interested in.
-do a post bacc if you don't get in (boost your chances as much as possible)
-maybe get a job in a clinical setting to show exposure.

There are other things you can do. But, these are just some of the major things that would make you a little more up to par with the other applicants.

Hope this helps and good luck with the MCAT!

Its mostly the GPA

if you had a 3.9 and a 38 MCAT

it wouldnt be as much of a problem

I think a 4.0 would be more reasonable. And a 38 MCAT? Psh, I can do that in my sleep! :p