Realistically how much would taking 10 pre-req classes boost my GPA?

Started by 8MoreReps
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

8MoreReps

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My current undergrad GPA is only a 3.0 and I am planning on acing all 10 pre req classes to boost myself and I am very worried I will go through all that trouble and still not get in anywhere. I so far have 3 A's in my classes taken and I feel pretty confident I can do that for the rest of them. Do you think if I get 10 A's that will boost my overall GPA above a 3.2? I really have no clue I just want an estimate without having to get a transcript and doing the math. Eventually I will but I am not applying for 2 years. 2 years is a lot of time to spend and not get in.
 
Don't worry too much about boosting your overall GPA. First of all, yeah it's not great, but it is enough to be considered at most schools and it WILL go up if you get a 4.0 in all of your prereqs, even if it is only a slight improvement. Second of all, a 4.0 in all prereqs will most certainly be looked upon very favorably by most schools, regardless of your overall GPA, which by the time you're done acing all these classes, will be higher than it is now anyway. Don't stress about the GPA, just strengthen your overall application.

Your goals for now should be:
1. Ace those classes as planned.
2. Get substantial volunteer/observation hours in different settings.
3. Do well on the GRE.
4. Form relationships with your professors and PTs you work with to get strong letters of recommendation.
5. Write yourself a great essay for the PTCAS application.

My undergrad GPA was 2.9 from a long time ago, and I only had two prereqs left to take to prove I'm a better student now. Got an A in anatomy (currently taking physio) but that A barely made a dent in my 2.9. That didn't stop me from getting an interview at my school of choice. For my situation (i.e. for my school of choice) doing well on the GRE really helped make up for that terribly GPA.

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in essentially the same situation that you are. My overall GPA from my first undergrad institution was a 2.94. I am almost done with my prerequisites (have taken 9 and need about 3 more) and have gotten A's in all of them. My current GPA with those post-bachelors classes included is about a 3.2 and will be about a 3.3 if I can ace my last 3. I have been told by many of the schools I'm thinking of applying to that a 4.0 prereq GPA, a strong GRE score, and some good letters of rec make me a strong applicant.

Ace those prereqs to show that you're on an upward trend, emphasize the fact that you've matured academically and are driven, and you can compete with the best of them. But hey, that's just my optimistic opinion.