Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Reality Check!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 67192, Nov 30, 2005.

1. So, I get kinda down sometimes when I read thread after thread about people getting acceptances this early and see so many people with 35+ MCAT scores. I have come to tell people that my 31 MCAT is the "weak point" of my application. So, I just looked up the scoring for the April '05 MCAT and a 35 is the 95th percentile!! 95th percentile!! And a 39 and above is the 99th percentile. .

Just thought I would share that with you all. Sometimes we have to remember that with SDN we are dealing with the best of the best.

Anyway, good luck to y'all with whatever stage of the application process you are at. :luck: :luck: :luck:

2. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    31 *is* a competitive score to apply to medical school. If reading SDN is making you doubt yourself, take a break (at least from the pre-allo forum) for a while. Best of luck to you. :luck:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Yeah, this place tends to be a soul crushing sort of experience for those who are the slightest bit insecure. Don't let it get you down. You're in good shape. Good luck. :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Saluki

Saluki 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

A 31 is a good score. You've got a good chance at most schools, and even the top tens often accept people with those score if they have interesting ECs... There's always going to be someone with a higher score or a better GPA, but don't let it faze you:) I suppose I'm the pot calling the kettle black, but it's true all the same...

5. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The average numbers for people accepted to med school are MCAT 30 and GPA 3.5. If you're at or above these and have good LORs, essays, activities, and interview well, you're in. Don't worry about it. Schedule a mock interview with your advisor and when you interview, talk about specific volunteer experiences where you enjoyed helping patients. Talk about topics in biology (medicine) that you're interested in. You'll be fine.

6. Thanks all. Ya, I know i'll be fine. I've just spent so much time on SDN lately that I had come to think that an MCAT of 35 is average. I was actually a bit shocked when I saw tonight that a 35 was the 95th percentile. I had started to think that my MCAT score of 31 was "average" and not in the 83rd ish percentile, which is what it actually is.

Anyway, just thought I would post, so those of you with solid MCAT scores (that happen to be below the norm for SDN) can feel proud of doing well on that intense test and hopefully get a little enouragement while waiting for a decision/interviewing/filling out secondaries. :thumbup:

7. LusuR

LusuR Im gud at docter
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow. That's the greatest I've felt all day. Thanks for smacking some sense into me. :horns:

8. doctorFred

doctorFred intensive carer
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    mcat's aren't everything, either. i'm sitting on a 34 and i still have no acceptences; out of 18 schools applied to, 2 interviews, 4 rejections, 12 no-word-as-of-yet. and only two or three of the 18 are so-called "top 50" schools.