Realizing I don't love basic science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the pre-reqs and reading papers that are more basic science focused (especially oncology related) I'm realizing i'm much more interested in the clinical side of medicine (outcomes, quality improvement, policy) and taking care of patients than I am in knowing the nitty gritty of basic science. Will I struggle in medical school? Is this still the right career path for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Taking the pre-reqs and reading papers that are more basic science focused (especially oncology related) I'm realizing i'm much more interested in the clinical side of medicine (outcomes, quality improvement, policy) and taking care of patients than I am in knowing the nitty gritty of basic science. Will I struggle in medical school? Is this still the right career path for me?
oh yeah, you are fine!!! even the "basic science" that is in medical school is taught from clinical perspective. You will be absolutely fine! no worries

Reactions: 9 users
Nobody goes to medical school to do basic science.

Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
^^second this

I also do not particularly enjoy basic sciences. Med school (or at least my med school) does a very good job at connecting science principles to their clinical significance. This is probably my favorite thing about medical school.

Reactions: 3 users
People genuinely enjoy physics?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I cannot overemphasize how much I hated the basic sciences while in undergrad, especially the required prerequisites.

Every single day, I would think, “Why on Earth do I have to learn this nonsense?”. However, I realized that I wanted to become a physician more than anything and that in order to achieve my dream, I would have to jump through the necessary hoops.

As long as you have a “why” that strongly carries you throughout each day, you will be able to look back at the hoops and grin.

Your lack of interest in the “nitty gritty” is inconsequential. I would argue that my philosophy degree has been far more beneficial in medical school than any of the prerequisites I took while in undergrad. Keep going.

Reactions: 1 user
InFreudWeTrust said:
I cannot overemphasize how much I hated the basic sciences while in undergrad, especially the required prerequisites.

Every single day, I would think, “Why on Earth do I have to learn this nonsense?”. However, I realized that I wanted to become a physician more than anything and that in order to achieve my dream, I would have to jump through the necessary hoops.

As long as you have a “why” that strongly carries you throughout each day, you will be able to look back at the hoops and grin.

Your lack of interest in the “nitty gritty” is inconsequential. I would argue that my philosophy degree has been far more beneficial in medical school than any of the prerequisites I took while in undergrad. Keep going.
You know what they say, the purpose of the pre-reqs is to weed out potential med students--so that doctors don't kill people.

And you get out of it what you put into it

Reactions: 1 user