Really annoyed with AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted on July 7th, and my application has been "active" ever since. What does that even mean? I know my verification hasn't started, yet all my materials are in and it says that my app is in line to be verified.

I called AMCAS yesterday and spoke to this guy who seemed really helpful, saying he'll email the team to let them know that my all my application materials are in, why has it not started to get verified yet?

I called him day before yesterday, and still I don't see any changes on my app. I am getting really worried....what do I do? Call em again and nag them?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted on June 22nd, and my app remained "active" until July 8th when my status changed to "processed". My transcript was in since mid May. So basically, it took them two weeks to verify my app. I wouldn't start worrying quite yet.

There's pretty much nothing you can do but call and complain and bug them. I submitted last year on June 24 (the third day I can) and with all the troubles of AMCAS, I wasn't verified til October 2. This put me behind at some schools because they wouldn't even consider my app until they had my verified stuff from AMCAS. Just be glad you're applying this year and not last!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Tweetie,
It has only been 5 working days. They have a great deal of applications to sort through. I think you need to let it go for a few more days. It would probably be more reasonable to start calling after 15-20 working days. Go for a run. Read a book. Lay off the SDN. Relax. You have a lot of waiting ahead.

I understand we have to wait (we're in the same boat, tweetie), but in the meanwhile:

Why, given that we're all paying hundreds of dollars, can we not expect these suckers to be processed and transmitted within a week?

How bloody hard is it to hire scads of people at $8/hr to compared transcripts and grade spreadsheets?

Originally posted by appomattox
I understand we have to wait (we're in the same boat, tweetie), but in the meanwhile:

Why, given that we're all paying hundreds of dollars, can we not expect these suckers to be processed and transmitted within a week?

How bloody hard is it to hire scads of people at $8/hr to compared transcripts and grade spreadsheets?

personally, i'd rather they take a little more time with it and get my transcripts verified correctly the first time! i feel sorry for all of you who had to wait so long last year.

tweetie, i understand your frustration, but i don't think there's much you can do. it looks like people are averaging about 2 weeks to get their apps processed. cheer up, my friend-- with secondaries, interviews, and all that nonsense, we've got A LOT of waiting ahead of us! :rolleyes:

LOL Tweetie... just relax. It's been less than a week. They'll probably process it soon. Other than starting late and doing the transmissions in a really strange way... I think AMCAS is doing just fine so far. No blunders yet. So I'm not going AMCAS-bash just yet. :) Save it for the big stuff.

I know how you feel though. After I submitted I checked my ap like every 2 hours to see if it had been processed.

Good luck :)

moo,

damn now you are bringing back some memori.. err nightmares about AMCAS 2002. What a mess.

I'm sure AMCAS will always have problems. On one hand I'm glad that they've improved it substantially so the 2003 class doesnt go thru the headaches we did last year, but on the other hand (I know you'll hate me for saying this) but theres a part of me deep down buried in my subconscious that wanted AMCAS's troubles to continue so that the med schools would get fed up and really get onto them in an effort to improve their service.

I was just wondering....did the people before us have this trouble with the paper apps? Or did the confusion and delay start last year?

Tweetie...

I just joined this site and this is my first post...but I am essentially in the same boat. I submitted my application on June 21st but AMCAS lost my first Notre Dame transcript. As a result, my app didn't go "active" until they got my second one on June 3rd. So, I am also in line for verification. Hopefully they will get going here and we can both get our applications sent out.

I am similarly frustrated by this whole process. It sucks thinking that other applicants are already getting secondaries while my application has not even been transmitted yet.

ARRRGGGHHH!!:mad:

July 7th!?!?!?! HA!!! Please....once it gets to A MONTH then start wondering what's going on. 5 days? Oh i forgot, yours is the only app they have to verify, my bad. :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: --Trek

Originally posted by Trek
July 7th!?!?!?! HA!!! Please....once it gets to A MONTH then start wondering what's going on. 5 days? Oh i forgot, yours is the only app they have to verify, my bad. :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: --Trek

I agree with you Trek. Whining after only 5 days! Sheesh! Maybe I'm just jaded since I was part of the "Royal Amcas F**k Up" of 2001, and took 3 months to get verified!

Originally posted by KyGrlDr2B
I was just wondering....did the people before us have this trouble with the paper apps? Or did the confusion and delay start last year?

Well last year was the very first year for the web-based AMCAS application. There were a boatload of computer bugs and so therefore it took most of us a really long time to get our apps processed and verified.

After the initial computer glitches, AMCAS decided to supplement the web-based interface with sending paper copies of the apps to the schools. Of course this didnt really happen in full force until AFTER most schools started requesting that applicants print out a copy of their app from the web and send it directly to the schools, bypassing AMCAS.

The result is that most of us ended up spending over $1000 for a service that we never truly received, since we had to do most of the dirty work ourselves.