XeReX

Aspiring Surgeon
Jun 6, 2010
New Haven, CT
Status
Pre-Medical
hey guys i need your advice, i am almost done with my first semester i am taking bio I, chem I, English and first year experience(FYE) course. I have screwed up in all these classes pretty bad except FYE. I was taking chem and bio too lightly and was really careless and it has affected me very badly i think i ll be getting Cs in bio and chem and a B in english and i have an A in FYE. I wanted to ask you guys should i repeat the bio and chem or stick with this GPA which will come out to be ~ 2.6 at the end of the semester and work my ass of in spring semester and try to get a 4.0?
please help i am really worried

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Low freshman year GPA's are common, but obviously you should try to do the best you can. Don't retake. Let this act as your wake-up call and get mostly A's from here on out.

Reactions: drrekamuhs

jvesco22

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2009
Status
I'm real curious as to how someone, an aspiring surgeon like yourself, who has been making so many threads on SDN since you joined before starting college, managed to get a 2.6 in your first basic science semester. I'm not trying to knock you, I'm just curious. I could understand if you just started out, didn't know what you wanted to do at such a young age and just dicked around. But no, you know what it takes and you know the kinds of grades you need to ensure your success, yet you're getting a 2.6?

inb4whoareyouhisdaddy?
inb4coolstorybro
inb4you'llmakeaterribledoctor

Oh yeah and...

Oct 8, 2010
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm real curious as to how someone, an aspiring surgeon like yourself, who has been making so many threads on SDN since you joined before starting college, managed to get a 2.6 in your first basic science semester. I'm not trying to knock you, I'm just curious. I could understand if you just started out, didn't know what you wanted to do at such a young age and just dicked around. But no, you know what it takes and you know the kinds of grades you need to ensure your success, yet you're getting a 2.6?
+1. OP fails.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
i am almost done with my first semester i am taking bio I, chem I, English and first year experience(FYE) course. I have screwed up in all these classes pretty bad except FYE. I was taking chem and bio too lightly and was really careless and it has affected me very badly i think i ll be getting Cs in bio and chem and a B in english and i have an A in FYE. I wanted to ask you guys should i repeat the bio and chem or stick with this GPA which will come out to be ~ 2.6 at the end of the semester and work my ass of in spring semester and try to get a 4.0?
Look at the bright side, you'll have an upward grade trend after this semester and great fodder for a Secondary essay on a Challenge you overcame." Of course, that assumes you've figured out where you went wrong. Why are your grades so poor this semester and what will you do differently next term so this doesn't happen again?

Longshanks

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
New York
Status
Medical Student
^ agree with this ^

From my own personal experience, I started my freshman year worse than you, gathered myself together, did a masters, and applying this year. So far its been a successful cycle, as I do have a few DO acceptances, but for MD schools I've mainly been on hold or haven't heard back yet, though I have interviewed, don't have many rejections to speak of either so its been a bit of a limbo since November. So, it can be done, you just have to put in the work and also be involved strongly with ECs. Now, I didn't pull 4.0s there on out after my freshman year, but if you did that you would probably have better luck than I'm having at the moment, but if you can identify what needs to be done to improve and act upon your aspirations it is possible to get an acceptance.

DaisyBuchanan

Quinn Morgendorffer
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2010
Upper Left, USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Don't drop. My advice would be to lock yourself in the library and write a great final paper for your English class and study your brains out for your Bio and Chem classes.

Go to your school's writing center if it has one and get feedback to make your paper the best it can be. In my experience, freshman writing classes are graded largely on improvement, so if your final paper is stellar, it will kind of offset lower grades earlier in the class.

Freshman Bio and Chem classes are weeders. Use that to your advantage. Because there are so many people that will realize after this semester that pre-med isn't for them, the curves are often crazy. Kill the final and you might end up with a B.

That said, get off SDN and get to work! :D Good luck, man.

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
i'm real curious as to how someone, an aspiring surgeon like yourself, who has been making so many threads on sdn since you joined before starting college, managed to get a 2.6 in your first basic science semester. I'm not trying to knock you, i'm just curious. I could understand if you just started out, didn't know what you wanted to do at such a young age and just dicked around. But no, you know what it takes and you know the kinds of grades you need to ensure your success, yet you're getting a 2.6?
+1. Op fails.
+2

Elpenor

5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

Agreed, and not only is he getting a 2.6, but according to a previous thread he also failed (dropped) calc 1. I don't mean to bash the OP, but I think you are putting the cart before the horse. Maybe you should stop making threads about Johns Hopkins requirements and start spending some time in the library.

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Why is everyone in this thread being a dick? I'm not concerned, I just want to know if I should join in. :cool:

WorldChanger36

7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Look at the bright side, you'll have an upward grade trend after this semester and great fodder for a Secondary essay on a Challenge you overcame." Of course, that assumes you've figured out where you went wrong. Why are your grades so poor this semester and what will you do differently next term so this doesn't happen again?

I agree as well. Learn from this and work harder. Don't repeat, just do better.

OP
XeReX

XeReX

Aspiring Surgeon
Jun 6, 2010
New Haven, CT
Status
Pre-Medical

inb4whoareyouhisdaddy?
inb4coolstorybro

Oh yeah and...

Dude u are right i effed up! i was having few family problems and just couldn't concentrate on studying due to the tense environment at home. I am gonna work my ass off from now on.

Last edited:
OP
XeReX

XeReX

Aspiring Surgeon
Jun 6, 2010
New Haven, CT
Status
Pre-Medical
Agreed, and not only is he getting a 2.6, but according to a previous thread he also failed (dropped) calc 1. I don't mean to bash the OP, but I think you are putting the cart before the horse. Maybe you should stop making threads about Johns Hopkins requirements and start spending some time in the library.
Thanks for the insight :thumbup: i appreciate the criticism

getright

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical

inb4whoareyouhisdaddy?
inb4coolstorybro

Oh yeah and...
Lmao, such a **** but so funny.

paul411

ANES
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2010
Florida
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Assuming you take 16 hours a semester from now on and make all A's, you can still bump your GPA up to around 3.8 (best case scenario).

So just realistically reevaluate yourself and academically work your ass off without compromise for the rest of undergrad and you'll be back on track to a viable "Aspiring Surgeon"

Mar 9, 2010
Maryland
Status
Pre-Medical
hey guys i need your advice, i am almost done with my first semester i am taking bio I, chem I, English and first year experience(FYE) course. I have screwed up in all these classes pretty bad except FYE. I was taking chem and bio too lightly and was really careless and it has affected me very badly i think i ll be getting Cs in bio and chem and a B in english and i have an A in FYE. I wanted to ask you guys should i repeat the bio and chem or stick with this GPA which will come out to be ~ 2.6 at the end of the semester and work my ass of in spring semester and try to get a 4.0?
(Bolded part) SDN tends to have that effect on students :rolleyes:

Imporve your study habits, spend less time jerking off (no pun intended) at the pre-med club. If you do well in spring don't retake the classes, if you don't retake them in summer or sometimes later.

FYI once you got a grade lower than A in any subject you can't get 4.0 like you wrote, unless you retake all of them with As and ace rest of your classes in you college career and apply to DO schools.

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
FYI once you got a grade lower than A in any subject you can't get 4.0 like you wrote, unless you retake all of them with As and ace rest of your classes in you college career and apply to DO schools.
He meant get a 4.0 for the spring semester only, to help balance out the 2.6, not cumulatively.

OP
XeReX

XeReX

Aspiring Surgeon
Jun 6, 2010
New Haven, CT
Status
Pre-Medical
(Bolded part) SDN tends to have that effect on students :rolleyes:

Imporve your study habits, spend less time jerking off (no pun intended) at the pre-med club. If you do well in spring don't retake the classes, if you don't retake them in summer or sometimes later.

yeah i meant try to pull a 4.0 for spring semester to balance the first year average.

OP
XeReX

XeReX

Aspiring Surgeon
Jun 6, 2010
New Haven, CT
Status
Pre-Medical
Don't drop. My advice would be to lock yourself in the library and write a great final paper for your English class and study your brains out for your Bio and Chem classes.

Go to your school's writing center if it has one and get feedback to make your paper the best it can be. In my experience, freshman writing classes are graded largely on improvement, so if your final paper is stellar, it will kind of offset lower grades earlier in the class.

Freshman Bio and Chem classes are weeders. Use that to your advantage. Because there are so many people that will realize after this semester that pre-med isn't for them, the curves are often crazy. Kill the final and you might end up with a B.

Thank you Daisy i appreciate the advice. :)

PreMedder

7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
i'm real curious as to how someone, an aspiring surgeon like yourself, who has been making so many threads on sdn since you joined before starting college, managed to get a 2.6 in your first basic science semester. I'm not trying to knock you, i'm just curious. I could understand if you just started out, didn't know what you wanted to do at such a young age and just dicked around. But no, you know what it takes and you know the kinds of grades you need to ensure your success, yet you're getting a 2.6?

Inb4whoareyouhisdaddy?
Inb4coolstorybro

oh yeah and...

+1. Op fails.

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student

PreMedder

7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

i was actually agreeing with you lol. should have put a x3

and jvesco, who are you? his daddy?

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student

addo

7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2010
Texas
Status
Where do you all get all these stupid pictures?

Anyways, I thought id share that I got a 1.75 my first semester, and I got in this cycle. It happens, you just have to work your butt off, and try to get all As from now on.

OP
XeReX

XeReX

Aspiring Surgeon
Jun 6, 2010
New Haven, CT
Status
Pre-Medical
Where do you all get all these stupid pictures?

Anyways, I thought id share that I got a 1.75 my first semester, and I got in this cycle. It happens, you just have to work your butt off, and try to get all As from now on.
nice sarcasm man:thumbup:
No dude but seriously did u really get a 1.75, first semester? don't colleges expel you if u get lower than a 2.0?

Last edited:

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
nice sarcasm man:thumbup:
No dude but seriously did u really get a 1.75, first semester? don't colleges expel you if u get lower than a 2.0?
I don't see how that was sarcasm. Btw colleges put you on academic prohibition or restrictions. If you fail to improve then they kick you out and then you need to appeal them to let you back in. It's really hard to get expelled from college unless you do something incredibly stupid.

OP
XeReX

XeReX

Aspiring Surgeon
Jun 6, 2010
New Haven, CT
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't see how that was sarcasm. Btw colleges put you on academic prohibition or restrictions. If you fail to improve then they kick you out and then you need to appeal them to let you back in. It's really hard to get expelled from college unless you do something incredibly stupid.
No dude see i thought he was being sarcastic coz i felt an air of sarcasm in his tone. So i thought he said it
in a sarcastic way to make fun of me as i said that i will work my ass off to get a 4.0 in spring semester, so i thought he may have meant that i cant achieve a 4.0 after such a downfall in first semester. Yeah i am sure now he wasn't being sarcastic, but fa real for a minute i thought he was kiddin' about getting a 1.75

addo

7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2010
Texas
Status
No dude see i thought he was being sarcastic coz i felt an air of sarcasm in his tone. So i thought he said it in a sarcastic way to make fun of me as i said that i will work my ass off to get a 4.0 in spring semester, so i thought he may have meant that i cant achieve a 4.0 after such a downfall in first semester. Yeah i am sure now he wasn't being sarcastic, but fa real for a minute i thought he was kiddin' about getting a 1.75

No I'm completely serious about the 1.75. I got a D and 3 Cs. The following semester I didnt do much better and got a 2.25 to average out a 2 for the year. This was before I knew I wanted to be a doctor though, so the bad grades were not in any of my pre reqs. Also, the reason I got the bad grades was not because I couldnt handle the classes or anything. I was just fooling around, and partying everyday.

Like someone else said above, its fairly common to have a bad first semester or year. You just need to show the upward trend, and that you have grown from it.

PreMedder

7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student

I agree with this.

It's time to get your ass in gear, son.

paul411

ANES
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2010
Florida
Status
Resident [Any Field]
XeReX said:
Rememdium est meus vita
Very off-topic but what's with the weird Latin in your signature? It translates to something like "cure is my life"

OP
XeReX

XeReX

Aspiring Surgeon
Jun 6, 2010
New Haven, CT
Status
Pre-Medical
Very off-topic but what's with the weird Latin in your signature? It translates to something like "cure is my life"
u idiot its also means "Medicine is my life" there are more than one word for cure in Latin. Rememdium means both medicine and cure, Mr. PhD in Latin

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I would hazard a guess that he was going for 'to cure is my life,' but used a dictionary to look the words up individually since the adjective and noun don't agree in gender.
Google Translate says "Medicine is my life"

Edit: Got beat by xerex...

Last edited:

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student
Lol this is the same OP who posts pics of himself flexing in the mirror in the pre-med pix forum. My guess is he will go the way of DermPrincess and other historic trolls on this forum. Sad, sad, sad :(

solo75

7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Just keep worrying about it, it will take care of itself. Oh, and aiming for a 4.0 for the rest of your college career seems like an attainable goal...

Feb 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
This place is great :D OP, you should be fine if you work hard. You're just learning that everyone here actually WORKS for their grades and don't expect them to be just handed out...

Oct 29, 2009
Where is your Mod now?
Status
Pre-Medical
u idiot its also means "Medicine is my life" there are more than one word for cure in Latin. Rememdium means both medicine and cure, Mr. PhD in Latin
I just checked and you're right, but in fifteen years of reading Latin I've honestly never seen that word used to mean 'medicine.' It should be mea vita though.