Really bad review on scutwork.com..what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fyfanatic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am trying to make up my rank list for PM&R and I was dead set on putting a certain program as my #1 choice. I rotated there for an elective and really liked it, plus the location is perfect for me.

But recently I saw a review on scutwork.com of this program by a former resident that wasn't just slightly negative (which would have been understandable as no program is perfect) but it was saying really horrible stuff like "this program is malignant", "violated work hour restrictions", "operates in a culture of blame", "residents are regarded as second class citizens," "no resident should rank this program"...and it goes on. I mean it's obvious this resident really hated his time here...
So my question is, should I let this kind of review from one person influence me in any way? I was really upset after reading it because I was so dead set on this program as my top choice but now this review is always in the back of my mind..maybe this is not the dream program that I thought it would be...
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated....Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

A quick look at ScutWork, reveals that the program in question is Columbia-Cornell. My only advice would be to listen to your gut and go with a program where you feel you would fit best. However, I do believe it is invaluable to listen to those that have been through a given program in the capacity as a resident, as they have been in the "trenches" and know what the program is like.

I interviewed at C/C and a major downside to me was NO elective time. That's gotta be tough if you ultimately want to do a fellowship.

I wish you the very best. :thumbup:

Opinions on the same residency will vary, and you have to select your info source extremely well to rely on what is said about a program. Additionally, it is unlikely that a residency program is ALL bad or ALL good. If someone is making it seem that way, they're giving you an incomplete, biased picture.

Take scutwork for what it is - an anonymous source of info. Anybody, even people kicked out, or not even involved with a program could post a review. Somebody may have been grinding an axe in the review you're referring to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at C/C and a major downside to me was NO elective time. That's gotta be tough if you ultimately want to do a fellowship.

I wish you the very best. :thumbup:

Yes I was aware of this fact which is definitely one of the downsides of the program. However, as of now I am leaning towards general outpatient or inpatient practice and EMGs so that wasn't such a big deal to me. I was hoping that the no elective time was the only negative aspect of the program which was why I was so surprised by that review.

Opinions on the same residency will vary, and you have to select your info source extremely well to rely on what is said about a program. Additionally, it is unlikely that a residency program is ALL bad or ALL good. If someone is making it seem that way, they're giving you an incomplete, biased picture.

Take scutwork for what it is - an anonymous source of info. Anybody, even people kicked out, or not even involved with a program could post a review. Somebody may have been grinding an axe in the review you're referring to.

Thanks for putting it into perspective.

I am not sure how much credit I would put in that review...I just got back from a second look at Columbia and I did not in any way, shape or form get the impression that the individual reviewer expressed. Also, If you rotated through there - I think you would have caught wind of some of those negatives that were mentioned. As for the residents being treated like "second-class citizens" - I can't imagine that if you are a kind, hard-working, humble individual - that you would be treated so poorly, regardless of the place you are training at!

To echo everyone else's sentiments, I would still keep Columbia-Cornell at the top of your list, it seems that it made quite an impression on you and you shouldn't
let someone's alleged bad experience taint that.

Last edited:
The human brain is made in such a way that 20 positives can be negated by one negative. If everyone tells you are are great/beautiful/handsome/whatever, and then one person tells you the oppposite, most people will let that one person's comments bother them.

See if you can talk to a resident or two there, tell them what you read and see if they have any thoughts on it.

This scutwork.com review is honestly shocking and absurd. I am a recent grad of the program, so I assume whoever wrote that was in my class. I find it shocking that one of my classmates would write this scathing review. They must have had a very personal negative experience that I was not familiar with. The program is far from malignant (in my opinion quite the opposite). I did not know anyone violating duty hours. I am also not familiar with this "culture of blame". Residents are certainly not regarded as "second class citizens". I also totally disagree with this idea that there is this code of silence. I gave negative reviews of a few attendings while working there and the administration took action. There was actually an "ethically questionable" attending at our program that got fired due to resident complaints.

I totally agree that the lack of elective time is a weakness, which the administration seems unwavering about. However, the past several years, all the graduates from this program have obtained very competitive jobs/fellowships. There is the flexibility to make an elective happen with advanced planning, it's just not a formal part of the curriculum. I concede it's a weakness, but it has definitely not been a huge deal for most residents.

So, in summary, of course there are weaknesses (like all programs), but this person's biggest complaint about the work environment, attitude, and malignancy, is completely unfounded. Bottom line - don't take your info from one source. That will definitely lead you astray. Look at the whole picture.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I feel much better now about ranking this program at the top =)