really dumb question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nev

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Sorry for this really dumb question...but I was wondering if ansethesiologists can prescribe medications to patients?
Thanks
Nev

Members don't see this ad.

nev said:
Hi all,
Sorry for this really dumb question...but I was wondering if ansethesiologists can prescribe medications to patients?
Thanks
Nev

and so can any physician with a medical license and DEA #. Likewise, any physician can "practice medicine and surgery" after passing step III and getting a state medical license. I suppose a radiologist could perform neurosurgery if it really got his goose, but I'm certain he wouldn't dare.

R,
PMMD

pmichaelmd said:
and so can any physician with a medical license and DEA #. Likewise, any physician can "practice medicine and surgery" after passing step III and getting a state medical license. I suppose a radiologist could perform neurosurgery if it really got his goose, but I'm certain he wouldn't dare.

R,
PMMD

not sure the insurance company would reimburse him for it and he better hope he never gets sued. and, to the op, i'm a resident and i write prescriptions all the time. but i'm not on the anesthesia service this month. usually we don't though (at least ones that patients take to the pharmacy to get filled).

Members don't see this ad :)
Like I was thinking about this situation when an anesthesiologist sees a patient who is going to undergo surgery on the next day, and this patient complains of some problem....can the anesthesiologist give him some kind of medicine.

Do anesthesiologists get training in prescribing any sort of medicines (like how an internal medicine or emergency medicine resident is trained) during their residency?
Thanks
Nev

nev said:
Like I was thinking about this situation when an anesthesiologist sees a patient who is going to undergo surgery on the next day, and this patient complains of some problem....can the anesthesiologist give him some kind of medicine.

Yes
nev said:
Do anesthesiologists get training in prescribing any sort of medicines (like how an internal medicine or emergency medicine resident is trained) during their residency?
Thanks
Nev

I did

hmm...really? What kind of training was it, may I ask?

nev said:

What do you mean?

As far as I know, there is no formal training for any residency on "writing prescriptions" ....my wife is IM, so I know.

We all learn what meds patients need....you write a script....that's it....

nev said:

I did the non-traditional route. I started in FP, then served for 4 years in the military as a flight surgeon. Plenty of prescription writing there.

I'm a CA-2 and we follow the acute pain service, among other things, as well as do chronic pain clinic. We write plenty of prescriptions. I will add a caveat, though. Here in Florida there is close monitoring of scrip writing. We can write almost any scrip, but you are supposed to document a patient visit if you do. This comes up when one of our colleagues gets sick and wants a Z-pak. Do we always follow those rules? You decide ;)

As per my other post...it is correct to assume that most insurors will NOT reimburse a radiologist performing a bedside burrhole. Your license gives the ability to "practice medicine and surgery," but you are still supposed to exercise common sense and do what is within the scope of your experience, training, and abilities. Some insurors also won't reimburse you if you are not BE/BC in a specialty...I think the days of the old GP who did an internship and set up shop in the backwoods is going by the wayside.

Cheers,
PMMD

nev said:
If you can write your name, then you can write a prescription. It's not a big deal. It's called med sschool Pharmacology Class.

nev said:
Thanks
Nev

I'm assuming you are asking if they get any training in areas of medicine other than anesthesia, not just do they learn how to fill out a script for somebody. So yes, Anesthesia still requires an internship year. And that means everybody has done plenty of months of medicine and/or surgery.

Interesting post if you think about it like this, say you have a high risk cardiac patient not on a beta blocker. Obviously studies have shown periop beta blockade is good. Do we, being the perioperative physicians, prescribe the beta blockers? I say probably not. We aren't going to round on the patient daily to assess the side effects, etc, of our therapy. We won't see them in the office in follow up. I say a quick note in the chart or phone call to the primary team suggesting beta blockers is OK. Other thoughts?

2ndyear said:
Interesting post if you think about it like this, say you have a high risk cardiac patient not on a beta blocker. Obviously studies have shown periop beta blockade is good. Do we, being the perioperative physicians, prescribe the beta blockers? I say probably not. We aren't going to round on the patient daily to assess the side effects, etc, of our therapy. We won't see them in the office in follow up. I say a quick note in the chart or phone call to the primary team suggesting beta blockers is OK. Other thoughts?

I do. If I see something 2 or 3 days before surgery, and beta-blockers are indicated, I'll write a script for the patient to take them for the next 3 days before surgery.

If we're going to call our selves physician, then we should act like physicians.

Treat when indicated.

Lol

Did you wake up this morning and think, "I'm tired of this account and want to get rid of it, but I'm too lazy to delete it, what's the best way to get the moderators to do it for me? I know, maybe I'll necrobump a 12 year old thread to tell an attending to shut up while posting as a pre-med. That'll probably do it."

THAT is.... awwwwwwwwwwesome!!!!!!
"shut up" 12 years later
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Had to come back from the dead to say definitely one of the classic posts I've ever read on a message board.

I think we are getting trolled on this one