Really good step 1 and 2 scores and an average step 3 score for an unmatched IMG...mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mo_117

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an IMG registered in the match this year. I scored in the mid-250s on Step 1 and lower 260s on Step 2 CK. I decided to take step 3 and get it done with before residency. Only seriously prepped for it for a week and just got my score of 227 on it and now I feel like I made a mistake taking it early. Will programs see me as less competitive for it or will they like seeing a prospective resident who won't have to worry about Step 3? Is it permissible to not send my Step 3 score through to ERAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Similar position as you. From what I understand, Step 3 score doesn't matter - you just have to have passed. Step 1 and 2 scores are much more important to Program Directors. Good luck with the residency cycle, I'm sure you'll do great!

Reactions: 1 user
Excellent job! You officially have one less road-block than most other applicants for your future Program Director to worry about. This is a good thing. I wouldn't sweat the score, you did fine. Especially strong scores in 1/2 to boot, I wish the best for you.

Thank you guys. I hope the PD's reviewing my application see it that way and not as someone "on the decline" since I didn't prep for Step 3 with even a tenth of the intensity I did for steps 1 and 2.

Reactions: 1 user