Really messing up first semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveAde

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are tons of people before me who already posted similar things, but I severely messed up this semester. I could give a ton of excuses, but at the end I didn't manage my time well and I failed gen chem 1 and Calc, and overall just having a bad semester across the board. I can't blame anyone but myself, and I take 100% responsibility.

I decided that I'm going to switch my major after next semester (since I can't switch now) and be a combined psych/linguistics major. I'm not trying to avoid the premed classes I know I absolutely have to take, but by being a Behavioral Neuroscience major I didn't feel like I was pursuing all my interests.

I'm definitely retaking Calculus and Chemistry, and I will take all the prerequisites, but is it still possible to go medical school? I know that even if I get As in Calc and Chem the next time that averages to a C. I won't give up and I will try harder, but I want your honest opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

If this is the wake up call that gets you on track, consider yourself lucky it happened so early in your academic career. It's a lot easier to fix 16 credits of low GPA than 60 or 120.

Some people may think this is gaming the system, but if you have a good reason (e.g. family issues, mental health, severe adjustment problems), it may be worth talking to the school about withdrawing from the entire semester. Yes, you will lose some credits and tuition, but you'll get a do over for your GPA.

Two C's does not spell a death sentence. You can certainly recover, particularly if you do well on the MCAT. As long as you do well in your other classes you will be fine. You just need to focus, but remember, you need to do well in Gen Chem and Ochem and everything else not just because you need a good GPA, but also because it prepares you for the MCAT. In addition you will need some classes to help prepare you for the MCAT that are not technically prerequisites, such as, Biochemistry.

Reactions: 1 user