Oct 26, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am turning 31 this summer. I transferred to UCLA and sort of screwed up after transfer because i was undergoing depression being home sick. My grades for 2-3 years were C's and few F's due to lapse of courses. My stress reacted on my thyroid causing overactivity which I explained in my PS. Then I finally bounced back. I finished up with A's and B's. Then I proceeded to to take about year of post bacc at UCLA extension and managed a 4.0 in all science courses. Then my MCAT that I took after applying which was a total mistake. I took and failed at 473. I think it was test anxiety. So this totally ruined my post back and hard work. Medical school is a definite goal of mine and I don't want to back down. But at this point i don't know what to do. I was working in doctor's office who wrote me a great letter last year when I applied. But I haven't done anything since corona started and I was out of work. I don't know what my course of action can be at this point. Retake MCAT and reapply?

Sep 10, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I am turning 31 this summer. I transferred to UCLA and sort of screwed up after transfer because i was undergoing depression being home sick. My grades for 2-3 years were C's and few F's due to lapse of courses. My stress reacted on my thyroid causing overactivity which I explained in my PS. Then I finally bounced back. I finished up with A's and B's. Then I proceeded to to take about year of post bacc at UCLA extension and managed a 4.0 in all science courses. Then my MCAT that I took after applying which was a total mistake. I took and failed at 473. I think it was test anxiety. So this totally ruined my post back and hard work. Medical school is a definite goal of mine and I don't want to back down. But at this point i don't know what to do. I was working in doctor's office who wrote me a great letter last year when I applied. But I haven't done anything since corona started and I was out of work. I don't know what my course of action can be at this point. Retake MCAT and reapply?
You're 31 now but you don't really provide any sense of a timeline, and you're omitting a lot of information.
When did you graduate college? If it was a while ago, what have you been doing since?
When was your post-bacc courses?
What is your cumulative GPA, what is your science GPA?
Do you have any extracurricular experiences besides working in a doctors office? What was your role in the doctors office?
Am I reading this right that you applied to medical school with a 473 MCAT? I'm not trying to be rude, but literally submitting a blank MCAT would have gotten you a 472. Like if you just walked in, submitted, and walked out, you would have scored within the confidence band of your actual score. You can't chalk that up to test anxiety.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Oct 26, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You're 31 now but you don't really provide any sense of a timeline, and you're omitting a lot of information.
When did you graduate college? If it was a while ago, what have you been doing since?
When was your post-bacc courses?
What is your cumulative GPA, what is your science GPA?
Do you have any extracurricular experiences besides working in a doctors office? What was your role in the doctors office?
Am I reading this right that you applied to medical school with a 473 MCAT?
I graduated in 2015. COmpleted post bacc in 2018. Worked in doctor's office for a year and was laid off during covid. have done homeless shelter tutoring, have extensive shadowing and clinical experience i.e. hospital volunteering, care extender internship etc. So have remained in the realm of clinicals and courses. I applied first which was a bad idea without MCAT. I rushed it and made a mistake and realize this. I shouldve voided my score. That day a war was declared in my country in Armenia and I should have rescheduled. I emmigrated at 10 years old from Armenia.

About the Ads
Mar 2, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yeah, I'm also confused about the timeline here. There are several non-trad applicants that excel in medical school. I don't think your age is the issue; however, you will definitely need to retake the MCAT.

Oct 26, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I graduated in 2015. COmpleted post bacc in 2018. Worked in doctor's office for a year and was laid off during covid. have done homeless shelter tutoring, have extensive shadowing and clinical experience i.e. hospital volunteering, care extender internship etc. So have remained in the realm of clinicals and courses. I applied first which was a bad idea without MCAT. I rushed it and made a mistake and realize this. I shouldve voided my score. That day a war was declared in my country in Armenia and I should have rescheduled. I emmigrated at 10 years old from Armenia.
Sorry MCAT was 485, Overall GPA 3.08 and Science 3.05.

Oct 26, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yeah, I'm also confused about the timeline here. There are several non-trad applicants that excel in medical school. I don't think your age is the issue; however, you will definitely need to retake the MCATI d
Yeah, I'm also confused about the timeline here. There are several non-trad applicants that excel in medical school. I don't think your age is the issue; however, you will definitely need to retake the MCAT.
Will Mcat be enough?

Sep 10, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
So your GPA isn't great but you know that. It's likely being dragged down by the C's and F's of your early college years. I think DO school's acknowledge grade replacement for science courses, so if any of your science courses still have a C, you should probably retake the class and get an A - but honestly I doubt a few class will raise your GPA much, so you're kind of stuck with it. The good news is it's above the 3.00 cutoff that many places have, so hopefully you won't just be screened out before your application even gets reviewed.

Speaking of having your app reviewed...I know your not obligated to share your whole story on an anonymous forum, but honestly from what you've shared so far your story just isn't of one who's pursuant of a career in medicine. The only paid clinical experience you have is working in a doctors office (I still don't know what your role there was), and your other extracurriculars seem scattered given the timeline. Unless these are things you've been doing since graduating? In which case you would have likely accumulated thousands of hours of consistent altruistic volunteer experiences, and this might actually be the diamond in the rough of your application.

The MCAT retake is obviously necessary. I'm sorry to hear that you felt rushed and anxious during your exam. But a 485 is still pretty low to chalk up to just test anxiety, so there may have been content gaps as well. I don't want to be harsh, but I also don't want you to think that the only issue was the external circumstances and now you're ready to waltz in for another try. You probably need to revisit your studying strategy or commit more time to studying for the exam.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your job during COVID. Unfortunately that is a common reality that many people have faced this past year. Having no job, and likely being constrained on the types of volunteer work you could do due to COVID restrictions, I think the past year would have been an excellent chance to study for the MCAT. I don't know what you've been up to this past year, but that chance has pretty much passed. You need to start studying like yesterday if you want to take the MCAT in time for applying this upcoming cycle. Which brings me to my last point...

You probably shouldn't apply this cycle. At best, it sounds like you're rushing to throw together an application last minute, especially considering how much ground you have to cover with the MCAT. Even with a really, really good MCAT score, your GPA is still going to get you overlooked at most places. If you're really as driven towards medicine as you say you are, I think you should consider a Special Masters Program (SMP). They're basically a ~$60,000 bet that you are good enough for medical school. If you don't pretty much ace it (3.7 minimum, but honestly, you should be aiming for a 4.0) then you're screwed. If you feel you are capable, and you want to go to medical school, I think an SMP is your best bet. I can't really recommend applying to medical school this cycle, but if you were to ignore my advice and want to apply anyway, then at the very least you need to absolutely rock the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
1) Make sure that your mental health issues are firmly under control
2) Test taking anxiety is fixable.
3) Yes, retake the MCAT, but only if you are 100% ready for it.
4) How are your ECs?
5) Consider a SMP, but this depends upon what you get on the MCAT retake.
6) Some schools allow for retroactive withdrawals. See if you can do this for your classes where you did poorly. The worst thing that they'll tell you is "no".

So your GPA isn't great but you know that. It's likely being dragged down by the C's and F's of your early college years. I think DO school's acknowledge grade replacement for science courses,

No, they don't. This has not been a thing for serval years now.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 26, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
1) Make sure that your mental health issues are firmly under control
2) Test taking anxiety is fixable.
3) Yes, retake the MCAT, but only if you are 100% ready for it.
4) How are your ECs?
5) Consider a SMP, but this depends upon what you get on the MCAT retake.
6) Some schools allow for retroactive withdrawals. See if you can do this for your classes where you did poorly. The worst thing that they'll tell you is "no".

So your GPA isn't great but you know that. It's likely being dragged down by the C's and F's of your early college years. I think DO school's acknowledge grade replacement for science courses,

No, they don't. This has not been a thing for serval years now.
So at this point what is your advice SMP and if so, which one? I want to do UCLA RAP but they mention they require 491 MCAT so not sure if that's an option. Retake MCAT and apply? i am confused

Oct 26, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So your GPA isn't great but you know that. It's likely being dragged down by the C's and F's of your early college years. I think DO school's acknowledge grade replacement for science courses, so if any of your science courses still have a C, you should probably retake the class and get an A - but honestly I doubt a few class will raise your GPA much, so you're kind of stuck with it. The good news is it's above the 3.00 cutoff that many places have, so hopefully you won't just be screened out before your application even gets reviewed.

Speaking of having your app reviewed...I know your not obligated to share your whole story on an anonymous forum, but honestly from what you've shared so far your story just isn't of one who's pursuant of a career in medicine. The only paid clinical experience you have is working in a doctors office (I still don't know what your role there was), and your other extracurriculars seem scattered given the timeline. Unless these are things you've been doing since graduating? In which case you would have likely accumulated thousands of hours of consistent altruistic volunteer experiences, and this might actually be the diamond in the rough of your application.

The MCAT retake is obviously necessary. I'm sorry to hear that you felt rushed and anxious during your exam. But a 485 is still pretty low to chalk up to just test anxiety, so there may have been content gaps as well. I don't want to be harsh, but I also don't want you to think that the only issue was the external circumstances and now you're ready to waltz in for another try. You probably need to revisit your studying strategy or commit more time to studying for the exam.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your job during COVID. Unfortunately that is a common reality that many people have faced this past year. Having no job, and likely being constrained on the types of volunteer work you could do due to COVID restrictions, I think the past year would have been an excellent chance to study for the MCAT. I don't know what you've been up to this past year, but that chance has pretty much passed. You need to start studying like yesterday if you want to take the MCAT in time for applying this upcoming cycle. Which brings me to my last point...

You probably shouldn't apply this cycle. At best, it sounds like you're rushing to throw together an application last minute, especially considering how much ground you have to cover with the MCAT. Even with a really, really good MCAT score, your GPA is still going to get you overlooked at most places. If you're really as driven towards medicine as you say you are, I think you should consider a Special Masters Program (SMP). They're basically a ~$60,000 bet that you are good enough for medical school. If you don't pretty much ace it (3.7 minimum, but honestly, you should be aiming for a 4.0) then you're screwed. If you feel you are capable, and you want to go to medical school, I think an SMP is your best bet. I can't really recommend applying to medical school this cycle, but if you were to ignore my advice and want to apply anyway, then at the very least you need to absolutely rock the MCAT.
I do have thousands of hours of volunteer and clinical experience and leadership. My role at work was scheduling patients for surgery as well as regularly interacting with them and helping them with their upcoming procedures. I want to do a UC post bacc but UCLA rap requires 491 MCAT and not sure if this can be overlooked. I've emailed them. UC irvine deadline has passed already so not sure what route to take at this point.

Angus Avagadro

SDN Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
485 MCAT? That's like 10%tile. I don't think you would get a single interview, unless they were just trying to make a buck off of you. @Goro summed it up nicely.#s 1,2, and 3 are critical for having any chance. Get them in order before your retake of the mcat. Some schools will average scores, so that 485 will really drag you down at some places. You're not too old, but this will probably take a year or 2 before you apply. So get busy! Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 26, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
485 MCAT? That's like 10%tile. I don't think you would get a single interview, unless they were just trying to make a buck off of you. @Goro summed it up nicely.#s 1,2, and 3 are critical for having any chance. Get them in order before your retake of the mcat. Some schools will average scores, so that 485 will really drag you down at some places. You're not too old, but this will probably take a year or 2 before you apply. So get busy! Good luck and best wishes!
You believe I can reapply this year with solid mcat?

About the Ads

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
So at this point what is your advice SMP and if so, which one? I want to do UCLA RAP but they mention they require 491 MCAT so not sure if that's an option. Retake MCAT and apply? i am confused
Retake the MCAT. IF over 505, apply DO.

If over 510, apply MD

If under 505, do the SMP

Angus Avagadro

SDN Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You believe I can reapply this year with solid mcat?
Once again, my wise friend @Goro has said it best. Get items 1,2 and 3 in order. Take the test when you are 100% ready. A 490 will not help your cause. Hit that 505 to 510 number and you should receive some interest from DO schools. Good luck and best wishes!

Oct 26, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Once again, my wise friend @Goro has said it best. Get items 1,2 and 3 in order. Take the test when you are 100% ready. A 490 will not help your cause. Hit that 505 to 510 number and you should receive some interest from DO schools. Good luck and best wishes!
well he also said 510+ for MDs

Angus Avagadro

SDN Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
A 10%tile mcat will be a red flag for many schools. As I said earlier, some average scores, some don't. Even with a 510, you should apply to both DO and MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Mar 15, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
At one point in my career, I gave up on medical school. 2.7 undergrad GPA. Average MCAT.

No special master’s program aimed at medicine was immediately in my reach. Did a master’s in biology, physiology concentration. 3.9 GPA, all science. Quit my med tech job to take an MCAT prep course and studied 10 hours a day instead of working. Old MCAT scoring system which does not translate but would have been above 510 with room to spare.

I applied to MD and DO schools and was accepted off the waitlist from an established reputable DO school. I started at age 30. During 4th year, I auditioned at the best local academic IM program that would take a visiting med student and matched there.

I am now IM faculty at that program.

My story is more common than you’d think.

moral of the story:
1. Some sort of advanced degree and rock the program.
2. MCAT prep like your future depends on it, because it does.
3. Extracurriculars and experience are nice but meaningless if you can’t nail the first 2.
4. Be open minded to DO schools, at least those with a proven track record. And if needed, lower tier DO schools.
5. Know that you will study harder and work harder than you ever have...but if you do, you will be rewarded.

Reactions: 4 users

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
I think you can still get into medical school. Your GPA is kind of low but there is nothing to be done about that now (you just have to explain this in your application). Your MCAT is also really low, but that can be improved.

I recommend you take this year to do two main things: Study for and take the MCAT, and do something clinical (volunteering, mission trip, scribing, etc.).

For the MCAT, how did you do on the practice tests? If your scores were as low as the actual exam, I would say spend the next 3-6 months learning all the material. Then dive into practice problems, question banks, practice tests, etc. Once you are ready, plan to take the MCAT. I would say that based on your current score, you will not be ready to apply in the 2021-2022 cycle. So aim to take the MCAT by January 2022 at the latest. Then if needed, you will have the option to take it again in March-April 2022.

For the clinical experience, I know that you already have a variety of experience. But you need to know that you are still dedicated and that you are not wasting this year. (I know you lost your job due to COVID and I know that it is not your fault, but if your resume is completely empty for this year, to medical schools, its gonna look like you didn't do anything and wasted the year). So try to find a paying job such as scribing, but if that doesn't work out, do a lot of volunteer work. You just need to show something clinical and productive that you did this year.

Then, if you score is at least 495, apply to DO schools. If your score is at least 504, apply to MD schools (that have a low average MCAT because I have a friend you got in to MD with a 504). Choose schools based on your MCAT score and try to apply to schools that are maximum 3 points above your score. Even if you don't like the location, apply to any schools that might accept you based on your stats because in the end, a doctor is a doctor no matter where you got your degree from.
1. Don’t do a Mission Trip. Mission trips do not impress ADCOMS.
2. Where exactly are you getting these MCAT numbers you are rec OP apply with? Two ADCOM members gave very different scores to the OP. If OP is going to follow anyone’s advice , I’d hope he’d use the advice from actual ADCOMS.
3. You are new here and we don’t know where you are in your journey to med school. But it is very important that you are careful in your advice you provide.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.