1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Really Really Really Low Dat

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by toothpaste2006, Aug 11, 2006.

1. toothpaste2006

toothpaste2006 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LIer2010

LIer2010 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
  4. Notoriousjae

Notoriousjae DAT Rockstar
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    retake and apply next cycle

5. prez_al

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You're definitely screwed for any school in Canada. If I were you I would travel down to Buffalo or anywhere across the border and retake it soon.... like very soon.

6. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Get the Kaplan DAT study manual, it costs about 60 dollars, they have a practice DAT on a CD. The practice PAT is pretty close to the actual DAT, and you will become familiar with some pitfalls you will encounter. The Kaplan study guide is great and is definately worth it. Check out www.predents.com

Am I a nerd for posting on a friday night?

7. DDS:)

DDS:) Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Retake, and dont expecting too much for this cycle~

8. blumnday99

blumnday99 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I took Kaplan's course, their PAT tests where a lot easier than the real PAT section. I'm not sure if their CD has harder quizzes, but I'd try and find some other practice tests as well as Kaplans.

9. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You may be right, I was a big slacker and only studied for about a week for the DAT. I did about the same on the practice test as I did on the actual DAT so I assumed the CD and the actual DAT were pretty equivalent. I found that the format for the CD and the actual DAT were pretty close, and that helped myself as far as timing. Its my own opinion that as long as you can pace yourself you will do fine, its more of a thinking test rather then a medium to express your knowledge. But don't quote me I am a huge slacker.

10. caroochy

caroochy Bigger than yours
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    you got no chance.. sorry

11. itsall3324453!

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Althought i did not get accepted i did get interviews at every school i applied to with straight 18 last year. so give it a shot but prepare for the future possibility. there is always a chance. I used kaplan and topscore as well as acheiver. topscore pro seemed closest to the actual DAT. Just do the best you can and dont worry about the outcome as no one knows really what may happen tomorrow. Best of luck to you :)

12. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Some schools do not even look at PAT. However, it is a low score. UMKC supposedly doesn't put a lot of energy into PAT. If you are retaking, you will be late into this years cycle before your application gets considered. This looks like a long shot. If you've already paid, go full out and do whatever you can to get considered such as extra LORs, ECs, and contact each school individually to talk over your application. Maybe you have a disability you haven't mentioned.

13. munch22

munch22 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I contacted a few schools to ask them how important the PAT score was. More than one told me that they did not pay attention to it b/c they had conducted studies that showed there was little coorelation between performance on the PAT and dental school success. This is not just from the "safe schools." Actully, an admissions counselor at UNC told me that statement specifically. The rest of your scores are competitive enough, although some of the overachievers on here would tell you differently. You need to ask yourself is it worth it to spend so much money to apply? If it is, Pick schools carefully and register to retake ASAP. Would you regret not trying if it meant you would be out of school and practicing one year earlier? If you decide to wait till next year, try to do other things that will boost your admissions possibilities. Like working as a dental assistnat or volunteering in an office several hours a week. THis will help schools look the other way at a low score. Also a final thing to reflect on is how is the rest of your application already? If it is strong, I say take the risk. If it also leans toward the weaker side it might be best to wait a year.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

14. toothpaste2006

toothpaste2006 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks a lot Munch... you are probably one person who would make a wonderful dentist and also an amazing human being merely because of the fact that you didnt say "you got no chance" like someone here... I had a lot of personal issues going--family's health and my own-- that really affected my GPA ... in canada considering the way my GPA is calculated.. i am on dean's honor roll, and getting scholarships but i wonder how my GPA was converted on AADSAS.. im lookin into that.. my DAT was bad because I had a close relative in a coma and I wrote it while I spent days and nights at the hospital... so explains my scores.. I did mention all this in my app.. I am retaking the DAT.. I have done dental research out of province at a paid position, had 6000 hours of dental volunteeting, 8 LORs... so I will see what happens... but thanks for your kind words... sometimes thats all you need to feel a little bit stronger after all that has happened.
    thanks munch.

15. Acci-Dental

Acci-Dental Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You probably should study to re-take. Last year I got a 14 in the QR section and some schools said they wouldn't even consider me unless I had at least 15 in every section. However, I did get an interview at NOVA and am on the alternate lists at NOVA and Creighton. You never know what could happen...

16. Random Hero

Random Hero Junior Member

Not to disagree with others but I think you should try it. The chance is there, and if you don't try you'll never know. Your DAT scores are not 'really' that low to tell you the truth.

The key to is to apply as early as possible. Like others said, take the american DAT and don't wait for the Canadian DAT.

17. munch22

munch22 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Thank you as well for you kind words. Everyone on here is worried about their chances of getting in and I hate when others prematuraly shoot someones dreams down without knowing any of the circumstances. 6000 hours....wow that is amazing and it must mean something. You must also remember that those on here are your competitors and unfortnatly that means some are probably trying to get you to give up....the fewer people they have to compete with the better. Don't ever give up on a dream. Believe in yourself and then fight for it. i hope that everything works out for you in the end as you sound like someone who truely wants to be in this profession for the right reason.

GOOD LUCK to you and to everyone else on SDN fighting to achieve their goals!

18. beannaithe

beannaithe Bionerd
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    You've already applied and gone through all of the AADSAS thing...you've got nothing to lose by trying and seeing what happens. Your GPA is good and that is a strong point, but your PAT score is so low that you would probably not even be considered. You should call the schools and tell them that you are planning to retake and tell them to put your application on hold until Nov.

But that is very late in the cycle, so just see what happens. But I would get a back-up plan, take the Kaplan course and study PAT like crazy until then.

Don't be too upset if it doesn't work out this cycle. If this is something that you really want to do, you'll find a way to make it work. :)

19. MCGHopeful

MCGHopeful Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey toothpaste!

You have absolutely nothing to lose by giving it a shot this year. And you never know...there maybe one thing on your app that causes you to stand heads and shoulders above others applying.

And, take a look at the DAT and PAT stats on www.predents.com . The range of average DAT scores are 22-16 and PAT scores are 19.3-15. And remember, those are the AVERAGES. So, there will be some that are above and believe it or not, below.

Trust me, I get discouraged at times by comparing myself to others on this board. Admission to dental school is about much more than several numbers you received on test day.

Best of luck to you!

20. Audio

Audio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Don't wait for the Canadian DAT. Write the American one as soon as you can. THat's the best thing you can do. Not only will you still be in the game for US schools, it can also serve as a very good warm up for your Canadian DAT in Nov.

21. keikei

keikei Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    so, did you get accepted to Creighton?

22. devin_62

devin_62 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    How did you not get in with straight 18s and a 4.0? That's really strong...

23. L8DYV

L8DYV refreshing
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    apply to all gazillion dental schools, cross your fingers, eat your garlic and string beans, be good to your parents and let your sister have the bathroom to herself, pray to god ten times a day, never walk under a ladder, or cross a black cat, kill a chicken and drain its blood over your DAT study materials, light it on fire and do the chicken dance. gluck!

24. remify

remify Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hello:

Don't expect too much from this cycle, unless you have powerful connections or have had an extraordinarily admirable accomplishment worth getting accepted to dental school. Private schools are easier to get into than public schools, comparatively. However, their DAT requirements are pretty high.

Since you've already applied this year, just take notes and learn from everything so that when you apply next cycle, it will be a piece of cake. Also, you should always be looking for ways to prove that you have improved yourself as a dental candidate/applicant. Gain (more) dental experience, get certifications, volunteer, etc.

Kaplan is a great help. If there are Kaplan DAT prep courses offered in Canada, take those too.

Good luck!