WAMC, LOW GPA, AVG DAT, Good Clinicals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

softarteeth

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Date of submission: Early June
Overall GPA: 2.95
Science GPA: 2.85
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.04
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

2025 DAT: AA 400 | TS 420 | BIO 390 | GC 410 | OC 470 | PAT 370 | QR 340 | RC 400
Previous DAT attempts:
2024: AA 18 | TS 20 | BIO 20 | GC 19 | OC 20 | PAT 19 | QR 15 | RC —
2023: AA 15
State of Residence: California

Major: Dental Hygiene
Applicant Type: Reapplicant (3rd cycle)
Ethnicity: Southeast Asian
NonTrad: Somewhat / Yes — practicing dental hygienist completing post-bacc coursework after graduation.

Shadowing
(100+ hrs): General Dentistry, Oral Surgery, Orthodontics, Endodontics
Volunteer Experience (100+ hrs): Food bank distribution/warehouse volunteering, local neighborhood/community cleanup events.
Research: N/a
Clinical / Employment Experience: Licensed Dental Hygienist employed since graduation (2021–present).
Other Experiences / Leadership / Skills:
Manual dexterity through dental hygiene practice, piano, sports, arts/crafts/origami. Networking and exposure with dental professionals and specialty practices.

Letters of Recommendation:

General Dentist (DDS)
2 Science Professors
Director of Dental Hygiene Program

Current School List:
ASDOH (ATSU Arizona)
MOSDOH (ATSU Missouri)
LECOM
Nova
Roseman
Touro
WesternU
Midwestern-AZ
UNE
Creighton
UNLV
UOP
Colorado
Ohio State
Kentucky
West Virginia
Kansas City University (KCU)
CNU
Lyon
PNWU
Augusta / DCG


Relevant Context / Academic Challenges:
My academic path has not been linear. During undergraduate studies, I struggled in several science courses and earned some C- grades an F in an upper-level statistics course that was not required for dental school prerequisites; completed required introductory statistics separately with an A. Although academics were challenging, I remained engaged, sought help from professors, and consistently demonstrated effort and commitment toward improving. Following graduation, I completed a DIY post-baccalaureate consisting of additional science coursework, where I demonstrated stronger academic performance and an upward trend. Alongside continued coursework, I have worked as a dental hygienist, gained extensive clinical experience, and helped support my family financially.

I recognize that my academic record presents challenges; however, it does not fully reflect my growth, resilience, or current capabilities. Through additional coursework, multiple DAT attempts, professional clinical practice, and personal responsibilities, I have continued to strengthen my preparation for dental school. I am applying broadly and would appreciate candid guidance regarding the realism of my school list and areas where my application could be improved.

Given my GPA / DAT profile, clinical experience as a hygienist, and upward trend, is my school list realistic?
Are there schools on my list that are poor fits due to CC coursework / prerequisite policies?
Which schools would you remove or add? Which ones are heavily in-state vs open for out of state?
 
Last edited:
State of Residence: California
Ethnicity: Southeast Asian

Major: Dental Hygiene
Applicant Type: Reapplicant (3rd cycle)

Overall GPA: 2.95
Science GPA: 2.85

Academic Trend / Additional Coursework:
Post-bacc coursework completed at two community colleges. GPA trends: 3.8 and 3.0. Retook key science courses including Gen Chem I/II, OCHEM I/II, Physics I/II, Anatomy, Physiology and Biochem at Community college. Microbiology and Cell Biology (@Extension Program).. with improved performance. Stronger recent academic trend compared to undergraduate performance.

DAT:
2025 DAT: AA 400 | TS 420 | BIO 390 | GC 410 | OC 470 | PAT 370 | QR 340 | RC 400

Previous DAT attempts:
2024: AA 18 | TS 20 | BIO 20 | GC 19 | OC 20 | PAT 19 | QR 15 | RC —
2023: AA 15

Clinical / Employment Experience:
Licensed Dental Hygienist employed since graduation (2021–present).

Shadowing (100+ hrs):
General Dentistry, Oral Surgery, Orthodontics, Endodontics

Volunteer Experience (100+ hrs):
Food bank distribution/warehouse volunteering, local neighborhood/community cleanup events.

Other Experiences / Leadership / Skills:
Manual dexterity through dental hygiene practice, piano, sports, arts/crafts/origami. Networking and exposure with dental professionals and specialty practices.

Letters of Recommendation:

General Dentist (DDS)
2 Science Professors
Director of Dental Hygiene Program

Current School List:
ASDOH (ATSU Arizona)
MOSDOH (ATSU Missouri)
LECOM
Nova
Roseman
Touro
WesternU
Midwestern-AZ
UNE
Creighton
UNLV
UOP
Colorado
Ohio State
Kentucky
West Virginia
Kansas City University (KCU)
CNU
Lyon
PNWU
Augusta / DCG


Relevant Context / Academic Challenges:
My academic path has not been linear. During undergraduate studies, I struggled in several science courses and earned some C- grades an F in an upper-level statistics course that was not required for dental school prerequisites; completed required introductory statistics separately with an A. Although academics were challenging, I remained engaged, sought help from professors, and consistently demonstrated effort and commitment toward improving. Following graduation, I completed a DIY post-baccalaureate consisting of additional science coursework, where I demonstrated stronger academic performance and an upward trend. Alongside continued coursework, I have worked as a dental hygienist, gained extensive clinical experience, and helped support my family financially.

I recognize that my academic record presents challenges; however, it does not fully reflect my growth, resilience, or current capabilities. Through additional coursework, multiple DAT attempts, professional clinical practice, and personal responsibilities, I have continued to strengthen my preparation for dental school. I am applying broadly and would appreciate candid guidance regarding the realism of my school list and areas where my application could be improved.

Questions:

Given my GPA / DAT profile, clinical experience as a hygienist, and upward trend, is my school list realistic?
Are there schools on my list that are poor fits due to CC coursework / prerequisite policies?
Which schools would you remove or add? Which ones are heavily in-state vs open for out of state?
please use WAMC template in the WAMC subforum...
 
So the GPA is the challenge. It puts your chances at your in-states at relatively low. I don't think any of the 3-year programs (Pacific, Roseman, Yeshiva when it comes online) would be convinced you'd do well in their intense curriculum. Ohio State and Colorado are very competitive for OOS. West Virginia... are you sure? Augusta/DCG is also hard for OOS.

Did you get any interviews in your last two attempts? If not, you have a clear signal you must address your grades, and you probably cannot avoid a SMP now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Date of submission: Early June
Overall GPA: 2.95
Science GPA: 2.85
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.04
PostBacc GPA @community colleges 3.8 and 3.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

2025 DAT: AA 400 | TS 420 | BIO 390 | GC 410 | OC 470 | PAT 370 | QR 340 | RC 400
Previous DAT attempts:
2024: AA 18 | TS 20 | BIO 20 | GC 19 | OC 20 | PAT 19 | QR 15 | RC 18
2023: AA 15
State of Residence: California

Major: Dental Hygiene
Applicant Type: Reapplicant (3rd cycle)
Ethnicity: Southeast Asian
NonTrad: Somewhat / Yes — practicing dental hygienist completing post-bacc coursework after graduation.

Shadowing (100+ hrs): General Dentistry, Oral Surgery, Orthodontics, Endodontics
Volunteer Experience (100+ hrs): Food bank distribution/warehouse volunteering, local neighborhood/community cleanup events.
Research: N/a
Clinical / Employment Experience: Licensed Dental Hygienist employed since graduation (2021–present).
Other Experiences / Leadership / Skills:
Manual dexterity through dental hygiene practice, piano, sports, arts/crafts/origami. Networking and exposure with dental professionals and specialty practices.

Letters of Recommendation:

General Dentist (DDS)
2 Science Professors
Director of Dental Hygiene Program

Current School List:
ASDOH (ATSU Arizona)
MOSDOH (ATSU Missouri)
LECOM
Nova
Roseman
Touro
WesternU
Midwestern-AZ
UNE
Creighton
UNLV
UOP
Colorado
Ohio State
Kentucky
West Virginia
Kansas City University (KCU)
CNU
Lyon
PNWU
Augusta / DCG


Relevant Context / Academic Challenges:
My academic path has not been linear. During undergraduate studies, I struggled in several science courses and earned some C- grades an F in an upper-level statistics course that was not required for dental school prerequisites; completed required introductory statistics separately with an A. Although academics were challenging, I remained engaged, sought help from professors, and consistently demonstrated effort and commitment toward improving. Following graduation, I completed a DIY post-baccalaureate consisting of additional science coursework, where I demonstrated stronger academic performance and an upward trend. 2 courses @extension program (Micro and Cell Biology) Alongside continued coursework, I have worked as a dental hygienist, gained extensive clinical experience, and helped support my family financially.

I recognize that my academic record presents challenges; however, it does not fully reflect my growth, resilience, or current capabilities. Through additional coursework, multiple DAT attempts, professional clinical practice, and personal responsibilities, I have continued to strengthen my preparation for dental school. I am applying broadly and would appreciate candid guidance regarding the realism of my school list and areas where my application could be improved.

Given my GPA / DAT profile, clinical experience as a hygienist, and upward trend, is my school list realistic?
Are there schools on my list that are poor fits due to CC coursework / prerequisite policies?
Which schools would you remove or add? Which ones are heavily in-state vs open for out of state?
 
Last edited:
So the GPA is the challenge. It puts your chances at your in-states at relatively low. I don't think any of the 3-year programs (Pacific, Roseman, Yeshiva when it comes online) would be convinced you'd do well in their intense curriculum. Ohio State and Colorado are very competitive for OOS. West Virginia... are you sure? Augusta/DCG is also hard for OOS.

Did you get any interviews in your last two attempts? If not, you have a clear signal you must address your grades, and you probably cannot avoid a SMP now.
Thanks for your insight. Really just need some guidance before sending in applications and which schools i should apply to.

I got one interview last cycle where i did my hygiene program at, was waitlisted, then class size was full. However that school that i was waitlisted at guaranteed me an interview for the upcoming cycle.
 
Date of submission: Early June
Overall GPA: 2.95
Science GPA: 2.85
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.04
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

2025 DAT: AA 400 | TS 420 | BIO 390 | GC 410 | OC 470 | PAT 370 | QR 340 | RC 400
Previous DAT attempts:
2024: AA 18 | TS 20 | BIO 20 | GC 19 | OC 20 | PAT 19 | QR 15 | RC —
2023: AA 15
State of Residence: California

Major: Dental Hygiene
Applicant Type: Reapplicant (3rd cycle)
Ethnicity: Southeast Asian
NonTrad: Somewhat / Yes — practicing dental hygienist completing post-bacc coursework after graduation.

Shadowing (100+ hrs): General Dentistry, Oral Surgery, Orthodontics, Endodontics
Volunteer Experience (100+ hrs): Food bank distribution/warehouse volunteering, local neighborhood/community cleanup events.
Research: N/a
Clinical / Employment Experience: Licensed Dental Hygienist employed since graduation (2021–present).
Other Experiences / Leadership / Skills:
Manual dexterity through dental hygiene practice, piano, sports, arts/crafts/origami. Networking and exposure with dental professionals and specialty practices.

Letters of Recommendation:

General Dentist (DDS)
2 Science Professors
Director of Dental Hygiene Program

Current School List:
ASDOH (ATSU Arizona)
MOSDOH (ATSU Missouri)
LECOM
Nova
Roseman
Touro
WesternU
Midwestern-AZ
UNE
Creighton
UNLV
UOP
Colorado
Ohio State
Kentucky
West Virginia
Kansas City University (KCU)
CNU
Lyon
PNWU
Augusta / DCG


Relevant Context / Academic Challenges:
My academic path has not been linear. During undergraduate studies, I struggled in several science courses and earned some C- grades an F in an upper-level statistics course that was not required for dental school prerequisites; completed required introductory statistics separately with an A. Although academics were challenging, I remained engaged, sought help from professors, and consistently demonstrated effort and commitment toward improving. Following graduation, I completed a DIY post-baccalaureate consisting of additional science coursework, where I demonstrated stronger academic performance and an upward trend. Alongside continued coursework, I have worked as a dental hygienist, gained extensive clinical experience, and helped support my family financially.

I recognize that my academic record presents challenges; however, it does not fully reflect my growth, resilience, or current capabilities. Through additional coursework, multiple DAT attempts, professional clinical practice, and personal responsibilities, I have continued to strengthen my preparation for dental school. I am applying broadly and would appreciate candid guidance regarding the realism of my school list and areas where my application could be improved.

Given my GPA / DAT profile, clinical experience as a hygienist, and upward trend, is my school list realistic?
Are there schools on my list that are poor fits due to CC coursework / prerequisite policies?
Which schools would you remove or add? Which ones are heavily in-state vs open for out of state?
how many times have you applied and when (month/year)?
which schools did you apply to and where did you receive interviews
please be very specific...
 
how many times have you applied and when (month/year)?
which schools did you apply to and where did you receive interviews
please be very specific...
this will be the third time.
1st time applied in August.
2nd applied in July.
Applied to Midwestern Illinois, Colorado, Roseman, UOP, UNLV, Ohio, WesternU, LECOM, Nova, Georgia, Louisville, UNE, Boston, ATSU Missouri, Touro, Howard, West Virginia.

Interviewed @ UOP
 
this will be the third time.
1st time applied in August.
2nd applied in July.
Applied to Midwestern Illinois, Colorado, Roseman, UOP, UNLV, Ohio, WesternU, LECOM, Nova, Georgia, Louisville, UNE, Boston, ATSU Missouri, Touro, Howard, West Virginia.

Interviewed @ UOP
you applied to the same list both years?
how did you come up with these lists in the past and currently?
 
No, my school lists have evolved each cycle.


During the 2024 cycle, my list was primarily focused on West Coast schools due to location preference and familiarity. For the current cycle, I expanded my approach and applied much more broadly after recognizing the importance of casting a wider net given my academic profile.

I built my current list through extensive research of schools with more holistic review processes, community/service-oriented missions, and programs known to value clinical experience, nontraditional backgrounds, and upward academic trends. I used multiple resources including DATBooster admission statistics, SDN/WAMC discussions, school websites and prerequisite policies, and prior applicants’ reported outcomes. Particularly applicants with lower GPAs, upward trends, and strong clinical backgrounds similar to mine.

Do you have recommendations on which schools I should apply to or remove from my list?
 
Last edited:
No, my school lists have evolved each cycle.


During the 2024 cycle, my list was primarily focused on West Coast schools due to location preference and familiarity. For the current cycle, I expanded my approach and applied much more broadly after recognizing the importance of casting a wider net given my academic profile.

I built my current list through extensive research of schools with more holistic review processes, community/service-oriented missions, and programs known to value clinical experience, nontraditional backgrounds, and upward academic trends. I used multiple resources including DATBooster admission statistics, SDN/WAMC discussions, school websites and prerequisite policies, and prior applicants’ reported outcomes. Particularly applicants with lower GPAs, upward trends, and strong clinical backgrounds similar to mine.

Do you have recommendations on which schools I should apply to or remove from my list?
please be specific which schools you applied to each year

have you checked which schools screen out GPAs below 3.0 and which schools have minimum DAT thresholds?
 
please be specific which schools you applied to each year

have you checked which schools screen out GPAs below 3.0 and which schools have minimum DAT thresholds?
2024: AT. Still Arizona, CNU, USC, Howard, Midwestern Arizona, Oregon, Roseman,
UCLA, UW, UOP
2025: Boston, Georgia, Howard, LECOM, NYU, Midwestern Illinois, NOVA, Roseman, Touro, Ohio, Oklahoma, Colorado, Louisville, Missouri-Kansas, UNLV, UNE, UOP, WV, WesternU


Majority of the schools has a minimum of 3.0. I reached ATSU, Touro, Ohio's (Exception), Minimums.
I reached the majority of these schools minimum of subsections of DAT's (besides Oklahoma)
However there were some schools that had GPA requirements of higher. I looked at the schools 5th percentile and hopefully they were more holistically.
 
2024: AT. Still Arizona, CNU, USC, Howard, Midwestern Arizona, Oregon, Roseman,
UCLA, UW, UOP
2025: Boston, Georgia, Howard, LECOM, NYU, Midwestern Illinois, NOVA, Roseman, Touro, Ohio, Oklahoma, Colorado, Louisville, Missouri-Kansas, UNLV, UNE, UOP, WV, WesternU


Majority of the schools has a minimum of 3.0. I reached ATSU, Touro, Ohio's (Exception), Minimums.
I reached the majority of these schools minimum of subsections of DAT's (besides Oklahoma)
However there were some schools that had GPA requirements of higher. I looked at the schools 5th percentile and hopefully they were more holistically.
how many cc credits for the 3.8 and 3.0?
please be specific...
 
2024: AT. Still Arizona, CNU, USC, Howard, Midwestern Arizona, Oregon, Roseman,
UCLA, UW, UOP
2025: Boston, Georgia, Howard, LECOM, NYU, Midwestern Illinois, NOVA, Roseman, Touro, Ohio, Oklahoma, Colorado, Louisville, Missouri-Kansas, UNLV, UNE, UOP, WV, WesternU


Majority of the schools has a minimum of 3.0. I reached ATSU, Touro, Ohio's (Exception), Minimums.
I reached the majority of these schools minimum of subsections of DAT's (besides Oklahoma)
However there were some schools that had GPA requirements of higher. I looked at the schools 5th percentile and hopefully they were more holistically.
as you were told on reddit, your chances at public schools past the mountain states are pretty close to nil, unfortunately
even the west coast and mountain publics are quite a reach
frankly, your best shot by far is at UOP...
 
2024: AT. Still Arizona, CNU, USC, Howard, Midwestern Arizona, Oregon, Roseman,
UCLA, UW, UOP
2025: Boston, Georgia, Howard, LECOM, NYU, Midwestern Illinois, NOVA, Roseman, Touro, Ohio, Oklahoma, Colorado, Louisville, Missouri-Kansas, UNLV, UNE, UOP, WV, WesternU

Majority of the schools has a minimum of 3.0. I reached ATSU, Touro, Ohio's (Exception), Minimums.
I reached the majority of these schools minimum of subsections of DAT's (besides Oklahoma)
However there were some schools that had GPA requirements of higher. I looked at the schools 5th percentile and hopefully they were more holistically.
So recap for me: in the two cycles, you only had one interview? You applied in 2025 with your improved DAT, but all scores are reported.

Previously,
I recognize that my academic record presents challenges; however, it does not fully reflect my growth, resilience, or current capabilities. Through additional coursework, multiple DAT attempts, professional clinical practice, and personal responsibilities, I have continued to strengthen my preparation for dental school. I am applying broadly and would appreciate candid guidance regarding the realism of my school list and areas where my application could be improved.

We don't have your transcripts to know how you have been doing (recently) in biomedical science classes that matter. Roseman and UoP might be difficult to see how you would do well in an accelerated 3-year curriculum.

I would add more privates east of the Rockies. The publics like WVU, Ohio State, Georgia, and Kentucky will pass you up.

Also, I presume you have state licensure in California, so it would likely make more sense to stay in-state or figure out what you need to do if you wanted to transfer your license to a different state. Any partnerships with other states? Have you talked with admissions professionals in those programs? What concerns do you have if something happens with your family that demands your attention?
 
So recap for me: in the two cycles, you only had one interview? You applied in 2025 with your improved DAT, but all scores are reported.

Previously,


We don't have your transcripts to know how you have been doing (recently) in biomedical science classes that matter. Roseman and UoP might be difficult to see how you would do well in an accelerated 3-year curriculum.

I would add more privates east of the Rockies. The publics like WVU, Ohio State, Georgia, and Kentucky will pass you up.

Also, I presume you have state licensure in California, so it would likely make more sense to stay in-state or figure out what you need to do if you wanted to transfer your license to a different state. Any partnerships with other states? Have you talked with admissions professionals in those programs? What concerns do you have if something happens with your family that demands your attention?
Thanks for your feedback. Yeah I only have one interview which was for the 2025 cycle and correct.

Yes, I have licensure in California. No big partnerships besides DDS' i shadowed that went to those schools (e.g Kentucky). I have been reaching out to them regarding to them. Ohio state replied regarding to their GPA requirements/exceptions, DAT. Have a meeting with WesternU soon.


Would do anything for family. Point blank period.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
However there were some schools that had GPA requirements of higher. I looked at the schools 5th percentile and hopefully they were more holistically.

I don't know what you mean by this.

What are the sizes of the incoming classes? Most programs do not admit 100 students; the 5th percentile may literally be equivalent to the one enrollee with the lowest metric. (This is a reason why I have always but unsuccessfully advocated for a simple midrange of 25th to 75th percentiles... maybe even 10th to 90th range like the medical schools, but they have larger classes vs. dental school classes.) 5th percentile tells you "how low they can go" but gives little insight to realistic consideration of "holistic review."

Would do anything for family. Point blank period.

Would this include giving up your dream of being a dentist? (I'm not talking about now as an applicant.) All the more reason why you shouldn't consider moving far away for dental school.

Pick schools that value your role or insights from your DH experience. Find schools that also use DH's in the clinic. (For that, I agree with @macsak about UoP as probably your strongest shot.)