Really stuck on this essay prompt. Please help me out :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LGdpt

Reaction score
How have your life experiences prepared you to interact effectively with individuals who are different from you in their social, cultural, and economic background?

I will be applying to PT school this cycle and this question is really throwing me off. I am not sure how to answer this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How have your life experiences prepared you to interact effectively with individuals who are different from you in their social, cultural, and economic background?

I will be applying to PT school this cycle and this question is really throwing me off. I am not sure how to answer this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
At any point in your life, have you interacted with someone that differs from you, either socially, culturally, or economically? What did you learn from it, how did you handle it, how did you grow from it?

Did you grow up in a wealthy family and think nothing of it until you had a friend who was poor? Did you grow up poor and have trouble understanding the values of a friend who grew up wealthy? Ever work with / be friends with someone from another culture and learn something about a value or practice or whatever that differs from your own?

Insert lesson learned here and how that will help you to effectively treat patients that also differ in whatever aspect. I would imagine that is what they are getting at / looking for, as PTs must treat all people equally and not allow differences to cloud our judgment or treatment plans, yet also be understanding of said differences when they crop up (eg some gender role differences in various cultures physical contact eye contact etc).

That's my take on it, anyway!

Reactions: 1 user