REALLY stupid PS question--to double space or not to double space?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peachy720

Steel Magnolia
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

I know this is probably the stupidest PS question you've ever gotten, but what is the standard--double-spaced or not?

Also, do you put an extra line between paragraphs or do you indent?

Finally, it's one space after the period right?

After doing 2 or 3 rough drafts and having friends and old professors look over it, I went ahead with Essay Edge. It's definitely worth the money to save my sanity. I'm pleased, but very confused about the editor saying she put it in "American Style: Spaced between paragraphs with two spaces between sentences." I thought the two spaces went out with typewriters, but it does make me double thing whether to double-space or not..HELP!!

Thanks SO much in advance!! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

no double space, but put a line between paragraphs if you have the characters.

Ideally, you could follow those standards (line after paragraphs, two spaces after a period.)

HOWEVER - due to the limited number of characters, it is common to eliminate spaces as needed to allow you to finish your thoughts. Don't stress over this. ;) Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The way you have to put it into AMCAS makes it difficult, if not impossible to indent evenly. It's far easier to leave a line b/t paragraphs.

I'm no expert, but it probably can't hurt to double space b/t sentences. Mine was almost out of characters so I had to use one space, and that's probably okay too.

I thought double spacing between sentences was a thing of the past :confused:

2 spaces after each sentence is standard. dont indent and use the line between each paragraph like they said. the line bt each paragraph only uses one character (carriage return) so you dont lose much and it makes for much easier reading.

amcas removes all your indents, so you should stick with an extra line between paragraphs.

i also don't think you should double-space...you'll see when you input it all into amcas, it looks much better single-spaced...also, since you will be using an extra line for paragraphs instead of indenting, you don't want it to all get muddled up.

overall:

-1 space after periods
-An extra line between paragraphs
-single-space

good luck...be grateful you could use essay edge...that **** is expensive as a mother

Thanks SO much for the quick response guys!!!

So, definitely using the single-space with the double-space between paragraphs--still deciding on the one or two after sentences.

CalvinandHobbes, LOVE the name--did you get the complete works? $100 is too much for me, considering I have them all. As for Essay Edge, I kept debating and debating, because I'm also completely broke. However, I have been stressing so much that I've been neglecting my 20 hours of pre-reqs. So I figure anything that will contribute to my sanity is good at this point. (of course, I put SDN in referral blank):D

Thanks again guys--you are the best!!!

Be sure to click on "print application" before you submit it so you can see how the formatting of the ps looks.

Peachy720 said:
Thanks SO much for the quick response guys!!!

So, definitely using the single-space with the double-space between paragraphs--still deciding on the one or two after sentences.

CalvinandHobbes, LOVE the name--did you get the complete works? $100 is too much for me, considering I have them all. As for Essay Edge, I kept debating and debating, because I'm also completely broke. However, I have been stressing so much that I've been neglecting my 20 hours of pre-reqs. So I figure anything that will contribute to my sanity is good at this point. (of course, I put SDN in referral blank):D

Thanks again guys--you are the best!!!

hey peachy, no prob. I actually own all the calvin and hobbes ever AND i bought The Complete Calvin and Hobbes. It is 23 pounds of pure heaven. It's well worth it because it has extra art, more words from watterson, and a sweet layout. I got it for 94 bucks (bday present from my bro), but i think you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere. Good luck with everything

1 space after periods is actually current standard. The old standard of 2 spaces after a period was from when people used typewriters. All of the guideline organizations (MLA, APA, etc., all as far as I know) have switched to 1 space after period in the age of computer word processing.

Actually, it really bugs me when people use 2 spaces. I know, since it used to be standard, many people still think it's correct. It's just irrational on my part; for some reason it gets to me :p

Hmm, I don't think I could write with just one space after sentances. I've been doing it since junior high, no way to stop now! Umm, sorry if I really bug someone :smuggrin: