-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Really Want a Residency Spot at Stanford
Started by SamHotcreek
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I will be starting DO school this fall, and I wish to know what I can do to get a residency spot at Stanford after four years.
is this serious? do u even have a specialty in mind? or as long as it's stanford?
is this serious? do u even have a specialty in mind? or as long as it's stanford?
Yeah, I was gonna say...at any rate this is gonna be tough unless it's in a specialty that's very DO-friendly (PM&R comes to mind, although I donno if Stanford has a residency in this).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
internal medicine, pediatric, or family medicine
is this serious? do u even have a specialty in mind? or as long as it's stanford?
internal medicine, pediatric, or family medicine
So...no.
But srsly...if you are dead set on doing residency at Stanford, the best thing you can do to ensure that is not go to a DO school. I'm not digging on DOs (some of my best friends are DOs man) but Stanford is one of those places that does.
Also, how the holy hell do you know you want a residency at Stanford as a pre-med? Wait a year or 3...let's talk then.
Smurfette
Gargamel always had a thing for blondes.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Moving to preosteo as OP is not yet a med student.
I will be starting DO school this fall, and I wish to know what I can do to get a residency spot at Stanford after four years.
Don't go to DO school if you're set on Stanford.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
And I cry nightly when I don't hear from Michigan. Life is cruel, but it goes on.
Guys I am going go to DO school next year and I'm really interested in doing a fellowship at Johns Hopkins after I do a residency in Radiology at Stanford (I'm a shoe-in I know).......
Guys I am going go to DO school next year and I'm really interested in doing a fellowship at Johns Hopkins after I do a residency in Radiology at Stanford (I'm a shoe-in I know).......
That makes it. 🤣
Generally competitiveness goes up as you get further down the list from undergrad to med school to residency. Each one filters out a large number of applicants. I realize that people peak at different times or may not have been interested in certain undergrads or even med schools they were accepted at due to location or financial considerations. However, if one hasn't been accepted to a med school near the caliber of stanford what makes one think they will rise to the cream of the med school crop and attain a residency there?
Only on SDN does everyone think they will land some super competitive specialty or even be in a position for significant doors to be shut on them based on anything other than their own academic achievement. By definition a third will be below average and another third will be average. Odds are that most of us fall in these categories.
Only on SDN does everyone think they will land some super competitive specialty or even be in a position for significant doors to be shut on them based on anything other than their own academic achievement. By definition a third will be below average and another third will be average. Odds are that most of us fall in these categories.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Being dead-set on a particular university for residency comes off as pretty naive. Let alone with no idea of what you'll be doing a residency in. Let further alone a Stanford-esque type place.
Pass anatomy first. After that you only have about 1,328 more hoops to jump through.
Maybe then your question won't be quite as absurd.
Pass anatomy first. After that you only have about 1,328 more hoops to jump through.
Maybe then your question won't be quite as absurd.
Without specifically researching their past history, I would bet it is HIGHLY unlikely. Highly unlikely meaning essentially 0% for anything other than family medicine (that even being extremely low). However, this is all speculation due to the upcoming residency merger.
I echo everyone else's sentiments on it being too soon to think about that. Who knows, you could be in a relationship by then or find some great hospital that wants you for your dream specialty. Look at your schools match list for the last few years... I don't think you'll see too many Stanford/Ivy caliber placements.
I echo everyone else's sentiments on it being too soon to think about that. Who knows, you could be in a relationship by then or find some great hospital that wants you for your dream specialty. Look at your schools match list for the last few years... I don't think you'll see too many Stanford/Ivy caliber placements.
internal medicine, pediatric, or family medicine
IM: No shot
Peds: maybe
FM: Yes.
Your best bet is probably their FM and PMR program.
Do a search on this site of match lists for DO schools. There have been some really great matches for DO students, many have gotten into competitive residencies at JHU, Mayo... Some threads contain those exact individuals giving personal experience on how they got there. Example from AZCOM: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=710904
Although the vast majority of DO students won't go to those competitive residencies for various reasons, There are some who do end up in prestigious places, you will hear a lot of negative comments and about how it's impossible, but it all boils down to your personal effort. Plus if it's never been done before, why not try to be the first one? Pave the way for DOs in the future. Good luck.
Although the vast majority of DO students won't go to those competitive residencies for various reasons, There are some who do end up in prestigious places, you will hear a lot of negative comments and about how it's impossible, but it all boils down to your personal effort. Plus if it's never been done before, why not try to be the first one? Pave the way for DOs in the future. Good luck.
Good luck to OP no matter what school. However, Stanford has had DOs here and there in their residency and fellowship programs --
http://ww2.doh.state.fl.us/irm00Profiling/ProfileEDUC.asp?LicId=9130&ProfNBR=1901
Christopher J. Pham, DO
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...l=37.09024,-77.695312&spn=37.136668,56.337891
http://ww2.doh.state.fl.us/irm00Profiling/ProfileEDUC.asp?LicId=9130&ProfNBR=1901
Christopher J. Pham, DO
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...l=37.09024,-77.695312&spn=37.136668,56.337891
Stanford doesn't actually have a FM residency program.
Umm, be adopted into a filthy rich family and have your daddy write a really big, million dollar donation check to open a new wing or building on the Stanford campus. Be sure your family name is on the building so they remember who you are 4 years from now.
Umm, be adopted into a filthy rich family and have your daddy write a really big, million dollar donation check to open a new wing or building on the Stanford campus. Be sure your family name is on the building so they remember who you are 4 years from now.
+1 This.
along with this:
I will be starting DO school this fall, and I wish to know what I can do to get a residency spot at Stanford after four years.
http://pmr.stanford.edu/education/residents.htmlYeah, I was gonna say...at any rate this is gonna be tough unless it's in a specialty that's very DO-friendly (PM&R comes to mind, although I donno if Stanford has a residency in this).
PM&R would be attainable at Stanford.
OP, doing a fellowship in certain specialties at Stanford is much more likely than a residency.