Reapp 32 mcat 3.65 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnovikov

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last cycle and ended up on 6 wait lists with no acceptances. I applied July 27th and was verified early september.. completed my secondaries from september --> october. I am thinking it was a combination of bad interviewing and a late application that resulted in no acceptances. I completely rewrote my personal statement and did a better job reflecting on my work activities. In addition, since last cycle I added 2 new activities which can be seen below. I am worried that the fact that my application hasn't changed much will raise red flags. Any advice on my school list would be much appreciated!

NY state resident
Biochemistry Major/Finance minor
3.67cum/3.65 science GPA
7/6/11 MCAT - 26M 7VR/10PS/9BS
7/6/12 MCAT - 32Q 8VR/13PS/11BS <-- unbalanced I know but I don't want to retake
Renee Crown Honors Program

Volunteer Experience:
- 200+ hours at 3 different hospitals - one of them was at an ICU where I had a lot of patient interaction and got to look in on rounds
- 50 hours shadowing ortho surgeon
- 2 week medical brigade trip setting up health clinics in Peru
- Vice president of fraternity at school for a year
- Vice president of external affairs for the Interfraternity Council
- Organized an annual trick or treat event at our school's campus for inner-city school children (took 3 months of planning)
- Organized a 3v3 basketball tournament that raised money for American Cancer Society as well as the Alzheimer Foundation
- Participated in a habitat for humanity trip spring break sophomore year
New activities for this upcoming cycle
Research
- 1.5 years of research leading to 4th author on Science paper
- 1 year of surgical research at SUNY upstate

New activities since last cycle:
- Full-time clinical research assistant at NYU hospital for Joint Diseases - co-authored on an abstract submitted to American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
- Started not-for-profit in an effort to raise money for underfunded NYC public school athletic depts

Other
Can speak Russian fluently
Assistant captain of club lacrosse team and roller hockey team
Owner of a macbook pro repair eBay store

Schools applied to last cycle and will apply to again this upcoming cycle:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
The University of Miami School of Medicine
New York University
New York Medical College <--- wait listed this past cycle
Tufts University School of Medicine
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Albany Medical College <--- wait listed this past cycle
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center <--- alternate list this past cycle
Keck School of Medicine of USC
SUNY Stony Brook <--- wait listed this past cycle
Jefferson
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Temple
Tulane
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
SUNY Buffalo <--- wait listed this past cycle
Quinnipiac <--- wait listed this past cycle

New additions this cycle:
Eastern Virginia
Medical College of Wisconsin
Penn State
Rush
1 or 2 more new schools (open to suggestions)

Essentially I am asking what are my chances for this upcoming cycle as a re-applicant at my old schools and a new applicant at the new ones i listed. I don't want to go DO but at this point I am considering submitting a DO application just in case. Thank you and sorry for the long post!

Members don't see this ad.

This is due to secondary applications being complete september --> october.

You should apply June 1st, your primary should be in by June and July. Your secondaries should be completed in July or at the very least early August. If you apply early and broadly you will be accepted.
The 6 interviews from the waitlist also brings up the possibility that you're not good at interviewing. Thus you need to practice with friends, family and professors to make sure your interviewing skills improve.

This is due to secondary applications being complete september --> october.

You should apply June 1st, your primary should be in by June and July. Your secondaries should be completed in July or at the very least early August. If you apply early and broadly you will be accepted.
The 6 interviews from the waitlist also brings up the possibility that you're not good at interviewing. Thus you need to practice with friends, family and professors to make sure your interviewing skills improve.

agree.

Didn't read the whole post but to add, make sure you have improved your application since you applied otherwise your app will get discarded the second time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
agree.

Didn't read the whole post but to add, make sure you have improved your application since you applied otherwise your app will get discarded the second time around.

Thank you for your advice. Hopefully a year of clinical research during this past cycle is enough to improve an application. I feel like academically there is not much to improve since I don't think a MCAT retake would result in a higher score.

I think this year will be the charm. I think your MCAT score might be on the low end for NYU, but otherwise it's a good list. Suggest adding Wake-Forest, even if the state of NC is moving back to the stone age politically. SLU might be a good fit your you too. For new schools, the ones in FL, PA and VA might do the trick as well.

So now, brush up on your interview skills!

I applied last cycle and ended up on 6 wait lists with no acceptances. I applied July 27th and was verified early september.. completed my secondaries from september --> october. I am thinking it was a combination of bad interviewing and a late application that resulted in no acceptances. I completely rewrote my personal statement and did a better job reflecting on my work activities. In addition, since last cycle I added 2 new activities which can be seen below. I am worried that the fact that my application hasn't changed much will raise red flags. Any advice on my school list would be much appreciated!

NY state resident
Biochemistry Major/Finance minor
3.67cum/3.65 science GPA
7/6/11 MCAT - 26M 7VR/10PS/9BS
7/6/12 MCAT - 32Q 8VR/13PS/11BS <-- unbalanced I know but I don't want to retake
Renee Crown Honors Program

Volunteer Experience:
- 200+ hours at 3 different hospitals - one of them was at an ICU where I had a lot of patient interaction and got to look in on rounds
- 50 hours shadowing ortho surgeon
- 2 week medical brigade trip setting up health clinics in Peru
- Vice president of fraternity at school for a year
- Vice president of external affairs for the Interfraternity Council
- Organized an annual trick or treat event at our school's campus for inner-city school children (took 3 months of planning)
- Organized a 3v3 basketball tournament that raised money for American Cancer Society as well as the Alzheimer Foundation
- Participated in a habitat for humanity trip spring break sophomore year
New activities for this upcoming cycle
Research
- 1.5 years of research leading to 4th author on Science paper
- 1 year of surgical research at SUNY upstate

New activities since last cycle:
- Full-time clinical research assistant at NYU hospital for Joint Diseases - co-authored on an abstract submitted to American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
- Started not-for-profit in an effort to raise money for underfunded NYC public school athletic depts

Other
Can speak Russian fluently
Assistant captain of club lacrosse team and roller hockey team
Owner of a macbook pro repair eBay store

Schools applied to last cycle and will apply to again this upcoming cycle:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
The University of Miami School of Medicine
New York University
New York Medical College <--- wait listed this past cycle
Tufts University School of Medicine
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Albany Medical College <--- wait listed this past cycle
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center <--- alternate list this past cycle
Keck School of Medicine of USC
SUNY Stony Brook <--- wait listed this past cycle
Jefferson
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Temple
Tulane
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
SUNY Buffalo <--- wait listed this past cycle
Quinnipiac <--- wait listed this past cycle

New additions this cycle:
Eastern Virginia
Medical College of Wisconsin
Penn State
Rush
1 or 2 more new schools (open to suggestions)

Essentially I am asking what are my chances for this upcoming cycle as a re-applicant at my old schools and a new applicant at the new ones i listed. I don't want to go DO but at this point I am considering submitting a DO application just in case. Thank you and sorry for the long post!