ReApp, cGPA 3.69, sGPA 3.53, MCAT 28R / Retaken

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjc2500

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removing all information for the sake of my own sanity. Submitted with a finalized list, and I don't want to keep having to add or feel the need to change anything.

If a mod sees this and wants to delete this thread, please do.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
um you need to do some serious research on some of these schools. for instance: utah and mass. not gonna happen, utah has very specific letter requirements and chances OOS are zip. you can't even apply to mass if youre OOS.

Colorado/UVA/Iowa: you're not competitive OOS.

NYU and Mt. Sinai are different schools. not sure which you're referring to, or if both. but your chances at either are slim.

Case Western: 10th percentile mcat is a 32. so even if you get your max youre prob still not very competitive

i think you'll have a great shot at some of your state schools. don't waste so much money on those OOS ones unless you really need to get out of the state or something.

Last edited:
Thanks for that advice. I got my info from the US world news book and I must have missed some of those specifics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for that advice. I got my info from the US world news book and I must have missed some of those specifics.

Buy the MSAR. It costs like $20. If you apply to one school that you didn't have a chance at, then you will have spent much more than that $20.

I updated this list once more in the original post to a somewhat more finalized version.
If anyone has additional ideas about the list, don't hesitate to reply! I want to apply to around 25 places (shotgun method), and am relatively free to churn out secondaries

I think your looking good as long as you apply early. I think northwestern/chicago/brown will be difficult to get into with your mcat/gpa but who knows. maybe some luck will go your way..especially with your EC's.

Tulane looks for extremely well-rounded applications from OOS. You seem to not have much in terms of non-clinical ECs.

apply to more OOS-friendly 50-100 range schols

Could you possibly elaborate on that? By 50-100 do you mean rankings? Could you give me some examples or direct me where to find a list of such schools?

Agree about Tulane.

few suggestions OP:

-MUSC has a huge IS bias (only around 14% OOS matriculants). Of those 14%, the vast majority have strong ties to SC (attended undergrad in SC or used to live/work in SC).
-Brown is mostly BS/MD w/ only a small amount of direct entry seats available (~50). B/c of this the average GPA/MCAT stats are misleading and it's very competitive to get in esp. w/ no ties to the school.
-Commonwealth's mission is to train rural primary care docs for NE PA. They look for apps that have demonstrated a strong desire/committment to work as a PCP through their ECs and PS.
-Be aware that GT and GW get over 12K apps/yr and have very $$ secondaries. GT looks for apps w/ a strong history of non-medical community service in underserved communities. They also like apps from prestigious undergrads (Ivy/top state schools).

If your MCAT stays ~28, you would likely be more competitive and have a better shot at places such as:
UA, UA-Phoenix, Toledo, Albany, Creighton, SLU, UCF*, USF-Select*, VCU*, and EVMS*

If you can get your MCAT up to 31+, you would also have a decent shot at places such as:
Colorado*, Wisconsin*, Rochester, and Iowa

(* programs that prefer apps w/ heavy leadership and clinical experience)

Definately apply to all IL state schools in addition (and Loyola, Rush, RFU).

Don't worry bout undershooting your EMS director time comittment. As long as its not something ridiculous (like 70+ for student org) or adds up to more hrs than there are in a wk w/ school+research, u should be fine. (I worked full time as a FF/medic Lt. during undergrad [3-24hr shifts, 72hrs/wk] along w/ non-clincal volunteering+research) Its your biggest strength, use it to highlight your time-management + leadership skills.

Do you have any non-medical community service besides the EMS? If not it would help to get some and it would make a good update letter for schools.

Good Luck!

Agree about Tulane.

few suggestions OP:

-MUSC has a huge IS bias (only around 14% OOS matriculants). Of those 14%, the vast majority have strong ties to SC (attended undergrad in SC or used to live/work in SC).
-Brown is mostly BS/MD w/ only a small amount of direct entry seats available (~50). B/c of this the average GPA/MCAT stats are misleading and it's very competitive to get in esp. w/ no ties to the school.
-Commonwealth's mission is to train rural primary care docs for NE PA. They look for apps that have demonstrated a strong desire/committment to work as a PCP through their ECs and PS.
-Be aware that GT and GW get over 12K apps/yr and have very $$ secondaries. GT looks for apps w/ a strong history of non-medical community service in underserved communities. They also like apps from prestigious undergrads (Ivy/top state schools).

If your MCAT stays ~28, you would likely be more competitive and have a better shot at places such as:
UA, UA-Phoenix, Toledo, Albany, Creighton, SLU, UCF*, USF-Select*, VCU*, and EVMS*

If you can get your MCAT up to 31+, you would also have a decent shot at places such as:
Colorado*, Wisconsin*, Rochester, and Iowa

(* programs that prefer apps w/ heavy leadership and clinical experience)

Definately apply to all IL state schools in addition (and Loyola, Rush, RFU).

Don't worry bout undershooting your EMS director time comittment. As long as its not something ridiculous (like 70+ for student org) or adds up to more hrs than there are in a wk w/ school+research, u should be fine. (I worked full time as a FF/medic Lt. during undergrad [3-24hr shifts, 72hrs/wk] along w/ non-clincal volunteering+research) Its your biggest strength, use it to highlight your time-management + leadership skills.

Do you have any non-medical community service besides the EMS? If not it would help to get some and it would make a good update letter for schools.

Good Luck!
agree with this for the most part. my only disagreement is that schools like Wisconsin and Colorado leave only about 30-40 seats for OOS, and it is much more competitive to get those seats which isn't necessarily going to be reflected in a school's "average" mcat, gpa, etc. at Wisconsin i know for a fact that a competitive OOSer has to be in the 34+ 3.9+ range or have some very extraordinary experiences, and a decent number of OOS spots are occupied by people who went to undergrad at UW

True, it is very competitive to get into UW OOS and we do only have 36-44 (20-25%) OOS spots (I was lucky enough to get 1 of them). But the adcom values OOS apps with long term in-depth leadership, community service, and clinical ECs (like the OP) far more than high stats.
(same w/ IS, many classmates took a year or two off to work on their ECs before being accepted)

The majority of OOS students here don't have 34+ or 3.9+, and the few that do didn't get in because of their stats (excluding OOS MD/PhD). I wouldn't say we have "extraordinary" ECs, but very well rounded apps with great clinical/volunteer experience. Some examples include: TFA, Peace Corps, Engineers w/o Borders, National Guard medics, RNs, and founders/directors of campus nonprofits/community service orgs.

Colorado is very similar except they take a little more OOS (30%) and require 500+ hrs clinical experience to even apply. Both schools tend to have very holistic admissions.

(Also remember that most OOS accepted choose not to attend. The actual # accepted is usually 2x as high as the # that matriculate. UW accepts about 70-80 OOS/yr.)

btw good luck 1289, hopefully you'll get in this cycle