Reapplicant- 4th time taking MCAT- help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alex0388

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I am scheduled to take my MCAT on june 16th 2011, and this is going to be my fourth time taking it. My scores for the first 3 times were 22,22, and 17. Unfortunately, I was going through some rough times in my life when I initially took the exam and it took me a while to get back on my feet. This time around, I have been preparing for about 4 months, and am scoring in the 30's on the practice AAMC tests.

Essentially, what I am trying to figure out is if I score in the 30's on my MCAT this time around, with a GPA of 3.5, what are my chances of being accepted to medical school? My employment & extracurricular activities are very well off btw, some examples include the following:

-current employment as an ED scribe, where i see patients with the physician, do all of the charting, and keep track of orders (X-rays, CT scans, blood work,etc)
-3 months of research at the Indiana University School of Medicine-Northwest
-Cadaver Prosection program
-1 year ER volunteer
-Gen Chem I&II Laboratory assistant for 2 years
-employment for a medical records company
-independent study in organic chemistry
-member of pre-med society, beta beta beta biological society, honors program
-academic integrity chair member for situations pertaining to academic misconduct

I will be sending my application in as soon as I get my MCAT scores, around July 18th.

PS~ i should also add that I am a reapplicant. I applied in 2009 prior to receiving my MCAT scores, BIG MISTAKE! I would greatly appreciate any advice you all can give me. Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tell me what hard times you were in when you took the MCAT and how they affected your studies.

I was involved in an MVA, it took me a few months to completely heal from the injuries and dizziness associated with the concussion. It actually happened several weeks before the mcat, the only reason I still took it was because I was stubborn and didn't want to consider taking a year off :/

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to prepare HEAVILY for this retake. This has to be your LAST time taking it. Do everything you can to maximize your score. Do not take it until you are comfortable with your pracitce test scores. Don't be afraid to void if you run out of time on test day.

I will just share my story for encouragement, because you are in a place where I was last year.

Previous scores of 23, 25, 24...studied all Spring and Summer while working and taking a class...31 on the fourth try. I was accepted into a US MD school with this! So while taking it 4 times is not by any means ideal, you are still in the running. Good luck! And check out the MCAT Discussions forum for advice on how to prepare. I used Berkely Review for physics, ExamKrackers for chemistry, and EK/Princeton Review for biology. :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, that's awesome!!! Congrats to you. I seriously thought I was the only one on this boat. Did you take your MCAT early and apply early?? I'm trying to figure out if applying mid July when I get my results back will be early enough in the cycle. Or if I should send my application prior to receiving my score, in June. I'm kind of hesitant on this because I made the same mistake in the past, and also because I feel if medical schools see those 3 old MCAT scores, they will immediately disregard my app without waiting for my new score. Any suggestions?

I originally planned to take it in June, but realized I wasn't ready and postponed until the end of July. On that test date I ran out of time and voided. I then took it in early August and scored it. I submitted my AMCAS June 30 with a few schools I knew I'd apply to for sure. I marked that I would be retaking and put in the test date, and AMCAS automatically updates your AMCAS with the new scores once they are released.

Most schools say they will wait for your new scores to be released before evaluating your app. I was not rejected from anywhere until at least after my new scores were in.

Waiting for your scores also gives you plenty of time to do secondaries.

I would add that you need to take practice exams like TBR's tests if you've exhausted all the AAMC's.

If you're retaking the AAMC's and using your scores from those as a guide, they're going to be grossly inflated.

Good luck!

Yes you can increase your score. My son scored 26, 25, 33 (BS 11 VR 11 PS 11) He used Golden Standard MCAT the third time. He also took the entire time to do the test. He told me the other times he finished way before time was up.
Good Luck and practice practice practice.

if you dont mind me asking, what school did you get into? my fiancee is in the same situation and she will be taking the mcat again for the 4th time and i feel like she lost all hope

sorry i am new to this forum the question is for startswithb

if you dont mind me asking, what school did you get into? my fiancee is in the same situation and she will be taking the mcat again for the 4th time and i feel like she lost all hope

I got interviews at both of my state schools and am accepted to one and decision pending at the other. I concentrated most of my efforts on my state schools because I felt like they had the better reason to accept me than some out of state private schools that get 8K applicants a year.

As far as taking the MCAT again, I had the mentality that it was to be the LAST time so I put a serious amount of effort in. It's stressful, but not hopeless.

My sister goes to NYCOM right now! She's finishing up her first year in medical school. How are you? I hope everything is good with your studying.

You need to prepare HEAVILY for this retake. This has to be your LAST time taking it. Do everything you can to maximize your score. Do not take it until you are comfortable with your pracitce test scores. Don't be afraid to void if you run out of time on test day.

I will just share my story for encouragement, because you are in a place where I was last year.

Previous scores of 23, 25, 24...studied all Spring and Summer while working and taking a class...31 on the fourth try. I was accepted into a US MD school with this! So while taking it 4 times is not by any means ideal, you are still in the running. Good luck! And check out the MCAT Discussions forum for advice on how to prepare. I used Berkely Review for physics, ExamKrackers for chemistry, and EK/Princeton Review for biology

I agree. I was getting 5's on every section (VR, B, PS)! I've graduated in 2008, so I haven't been in school for a long time too. I took the Kaplan course and brought some EK books. I am still figuring out which company I want to stick with only. Most likely, EK considering I work full time and the material is short and to the point. But, even so, I have been using both and my score kept improving up to 7's, then 9's and then 11's. I am hoping and studying religiously to get an awesome score this August. What happened to me was, yes, the concepts and the studying but mainly the strategy for the testing. Also, I was spending way too long reading and trying to find all the answers in the passages, lol. See what's the root cause and fix that! I guaranteed your score will improve and you won't have to worry about this crappy test again ;). Good luck!!!!

I got interviews at both of my state schools and am accepted to one and decision pending at the other. I concentrated most of my efforts on my state schools because I felt like they had the better reason to accept me than some out of state private schools that get 8K applicants a year.

As far as taking the MCAT again, I had the mentality that it was to be the LAST time so I put a serious amount of effort in. It's stressful, but not hopeless.

That's impressive. Congratulations! I am going to adopt that mindset as well. This is going to be my first and last time taking this test. I agree, it's stressful, but not hopeless.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's impressive. Congratulations! I am going to adopt that mindset as well. This is going to be my first and last time taking this test. I agree, it's stressful, but not hopeless.

Good luck! This test is one that you CAN prepare for and it does not matter how long it takes you. I had also been several years removed from my prereqs so I had a lot of ground work to lay. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. :thumbup:

Did you guys use the official AAMC practice tests before you took the real test?

Did you guys use the official AAMC practice tests before you took the real test?

During the bad times, yes but not seriously enough and not perfectly test-day simulated. Also, MCAT fallacy #1- expecting a miracle on test day.

For my last test, I took all of them and my average and final practice score was the same as my real score.

I'm retaking my 4th test in September to give me enough time to study and i will be a re applicant too! My highest score was a 17 and i shouldn't have retaken it when i wasn't ready. I just began studying and I hope i can get to a 30 on my practice tests too. I will keep you in my prayers. Definitely explain those tough times in your personal statement- although i think a 17 to a 30 is enough explanation that you can handle standardized science tests. The GOOD thing about scoring so low the first times is that when you do score average or high- it looks like a major improvement. (because it is!) I'm so proud of you! please keep me posted on your journey and don't give up! :thumbup:

I was involved in an MVA, which resulted in a concussion and road rash. It took me a few months to completely heal from the injuries and dizziness associated with the concussion. It actually happened several weeks before the mcat, the only reason I still took it was because I was stubborn and didn't want to consider taking a year off :/ not sure if that's a good enough excuse

That doesn't explain the other two low scores.

i wish you luck! but hope you're not using the same practice tests u've already taken to gauge your performance, as you inadvertently remember the problems and will subsequently score better since you've seen the questions before.

Thank you all for the great advice!! it's a huge relief to hear that people have taken this exam multiple times and were accepted :)

@ SueSlyvester, that's so funny...we really ARE in the same boat! lol, i'm aiming at over a 30 this time. my mistake last time was not preparing well and, as startswithb said, expecting a miracle on test day :/ But GOOD LUCK TO YOU!! keep me posted :)

& thanks again guys!!

Good luck! This test is one that you CAN prepare for and it does not matter how long it takes you. I had also been several years removed from my prereqs so I had a lot of ground work to lay. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. :thumbup:

That doesn't explain the other two low scores.

The first time I took the MCAT was 1 month after my accident, and I wasn't able to study well for it due to the residual effects of the accident (headaches, dizziness, muscloskeletal pain, etc). I went into a pretty bad state of depression for about a year after that, upon which my grades also suffered. I was thinking of explaining that in my personal statement.

But anyways, I took my second MCAT a month later, thinking I would miraculously do better...didn't happen. And then the third exam I took was a year later, where I panicked during the exam and wasn't able to finish. I wish I would have voided my scores.

The first time I took the MCAT was 1 month after my accident, and I wasn't able to study well for it due to the residual effects of the accident (headaches, dizziness, muscloskeletal pain, etc). I went into a pretty bad state of depression for about a year after that, upon which my grades also suffered. I was thinking of explaining that in my personal statement.

But anyways, I took my second MCAT a month later, thinking I would miraculously do better...didn't happen. And then the third exam I took was a year later, where I panicked during the exam and wasn't able to finish. I wish I would have voided my scores.

I'm in a similar situation. I have no excuses for doing poorly the first three times. I don't think taking it 4 times is THAT ridiculous. I think a large portion of the people are just smart enough void. Anyway, I felt GREAT coming out of the test May 7th and get my score back in 9 days!

Don't doubt yourself as a candidate solely on your MCAT score. >30 the forth time may still look worse than a >30 the first time, but there is much more that ADCOMS will look at. (This is what I'm hoping at least).

Why retake the MCAT when you don't feel completely confident that you'll do better?

Don't doubt yourself as a candidate solely on your MCAT score. >30 the forth time may still look worse than a >30 the first time, but there is much more that ADCOMS will look at. (This is what I'm hoping at least).

True. But don't take it for the fourth time until you've prepared, identified and corrected your previous deficiencies (that resulted in the previous three low scores) and you're sure you can do better...your practice scores should reflect this. Score in the 20s a fourth time and you're just making things even more difficult on yourself.

I've always felt everyone should just go into this test preparing to take it one time and one time only. The attitude of "I'll just take it and see what happens, I can always take it again later" is a bad one. And that won't carry over to the USMLE Steps later, or the board exams, when you only get one shot.

Why retake the MCAT when you don't feel completely confident that you'll do better?

True. But don't take it for the fourth time until you've prepared, identified and corrected your previous deficiencies (that resulted in the previous three low scores) and you're sure you can do better...your practice scores should reflect this. Score in the 20s a fourth time and you're just making things even more difficult on yourself.

I totally agree and that's exactly what I did! I went in confident and left even more confident.

I've always felt everyone should just go into this test preparing to take it one time and one time only. The attitude of "I'll just take it and see what happens, I can always take it again later" is a bad one. And that won't carry over to the USMLE Steps later, or the board exams, when you only get one shot.

Yea, I agree with you too. It's always better to prepare well and ace it the first time around. Unfortunately, I can't turn back time. But I have learned from my mistakes for when my time comes to take the USMLE, so at least something positive came out of this :)

Personally I would take a pre course like Kaplan online and take your time with sections and do every test every problem they throw at you.

I know its expensive, but I think worth it. Also, read read read..and read what you ask? 3 magazines regularly. For verbal passages

1. The New Yorker = art/humanities
2. Scientific American = science
3. Economist = economy/world politics/issues

They are free in the library

for the sciences use kaplan and practice tests they give plus the AAMC ones in the correct sequence...

Yes, and I highly recommend them, as some of the questions from the practice tests ended up verbatim on the real thing.

hey everyone!!! just wanted to update you guys...I ended up with a 28 my 4th time (8V 10P 10B). Not the best score, but I have 2 interview invites so far...so for anyone else in the same situation, DON'T GIVE UP!! thanks again for all your advice :)

EDIT: Accepted to NSU-COM :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yes, and I highly recommend them, as some of the questions from the practice tests ended up verbatim on the real thing.

I did not know this. Thank you (even though I took the test a long time ago).

hey everyone!!! just wanted to update you guys...I ended up with a 28 my 4th time (8V 10P 10B). Not the best score, but I have 2 interview invites so far...so for anyone else in the same situation, DON'T GIVE UP!! thanks again for all your advice :)

EDIT: Accepted to NSU-COM :)

Hey! Thanks for posting your stats. And congratulations! Great work!
I was wondering if you have some advice for me: My MCAT scores are similar to yours (29 total; 9VR, 10PS, 10BS, R). Additional details on my profile:
-GPA (3.95-4.0)
-Decent ECs: 2 years of ER response; overseas medical volunteering (including shadowing); health promotion; leadership; teaching; community service activities)
-Research: 3 years and will be 4 starting this January.

I am currently a Master's student and will finish in 2015. I am also a Canadian applicant, and was wondering if you have some insight into my chances for admission. Please advise.

Thanks for your time and anyone else who would like to please offer some advice.

Thanks all.

I was wondering if you have some advice for me: My MCAT scores are similar to yours (29 total; 9VR, 10PS, 10BS, R). Additional details on my profile:
-GPA (3.95-4.0)
-Decent ECs: 2 years of ER response; overseas medical volunteering (including shadowing); health promotion; leadership; teaching; community service activities)

I am currently a Master's student and will finish in 2015. I am also a Canadian applicant, and was wondering if you have some insight into my chances for admission. Please advise.

Thanks for your time and anyone else who would like to please offer some advice.

Thanks all.
Why haven't you applied yet? What are you waiting for?

No doubt the fact that s/he still has another year left of their masters has something to do with it. ;)

Nikkugur, where are you planning to apply? US or Canada? Advice will be different depending.

No doubt the fact that s/he still has another year left of their masters has something to do with it. ;)

Nikkugur, where are you planning to apply? US or Canada? Advice will be different depending.
Hey Q of Quimica,
Ideally I would like to get in somewhere in Canada but since my MCAT scores don't meet the cut off for several schools, I am considering applying to US and a few schools in Canada. Applying to US also worries me since I am an out of state or international (i.e. Canadian) applicant. What do you think? Thanks for taking the time :)

Hey cabinbuildaer,

I got my results in September, but applying to US worries me since I am a Canadian/international/out of state applicant. Are there canadian students you know who have been accepted to US med schools with my stats/profile? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

-GPA (3.95-4.0)

Thanks all.
Your MCAT is low for US MD schools. You're golden for DO schools

Hey cabinbuildaer,

I got my results in September, but applying to US worries me since I am a Canadian/international/out of state applicant. Are there canadian students you know who have been accepted to US med schools with my stats/profile? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!
Yes, there were a few Canadians in my class at LECOM. A 29 is a good MCAT and your GPA is great so I'm not sure why you haven't applied to see what happens??

Yes, there were a few Canadians in my class at LECOM. A 29 is a good MCAT and your GPA is great so I'm not sure why you haven't applied to see what happens??
Thanks for your response - great encouragement! I was just unsure after looking at the stats where my score looks mostly like borderline...but your advice is certainly invaluable. Thank you for taking the time.

Thanks for your response...I will consider DO schools as well! Thanks for taking the time.
Well, you never know how good your hand is unless you put the cards on the table. You can speculate all you want but until you actually apply, you will never get the answer you seek.

Well, you never know how good your hand is unless you put the cards on the table. You can speculate all you want but until you actually apply, you will never get the answer you seek.
Would you suggest a re-take if I were to apply to MD schools though? Even the low tier ones - I'm a Canadian applicant and this will be my 4th time taking the test :S

Would you suggest a re-take if I were to apply to MD schools though? Even the low tier ones - I'm a Canadian applicant and this will be my 4th time taking the test :S
I'm not the one to ask about MD, since I am DO. I don't believe in the whole tier thing. 4 times taking the test is a red flag (I took it 4 times). You will have to do the research into schools that fit your numbers profile.

I'm not the one to ask about MD, since I am DO. I don't believe in the whole tier thing. 4 times taking the test is a red flag (I took it 4 times). You will have to do the research into schools that fit your numbers profile.
Hmm..ok Thanks for your advice - much appreciated!

You're not going to be very competitive for most allo schools with that MCAT combined with not being a US resident or citizen. A large number of American schools won't consider non residents at all, and those that do tend to be among the more competitive with regard to stats. I don't think there's much to be gained by taking the test a fourth time. The reason it's called a standardized test is because you should get about the same score again and again if you take it several times. In spite of the great gains you sometimes see posted on this site, data collected by the AAMC shows that most people score within three points plus or minus of their original score. And as bad as things may look to you with a 29, I'm guessing you don't want to be applying with a 26!

As CB said, go ahead and apply this summer with intent to matriculate after completing the MS. Focus on osteo schools, and throw in a few international-friendly allo schools if you like. You have the research credentials, so it's possible you'll get some interest from them even with the disadvantages of your citizenship and test scores. Best of luck.

You're not going to be very competitive for most allo schools with that MCAT combined with not being a US resident or citizen. A large number of American schools won't consider non residents at all, and those that do tend to be among the more competitive with regard to stats. I don't think there's much to be gained by taking the test a fourth time. The reason it's called a standardized test is because you should get about the same score again and again if you take it several times. In spite of the great gains you sometimes see posted on this site, data collected by the AAMC shows that most people score within three points plus or minus of their original score. And as bad as things may look to you with a 29, I'm guessing you don't want to be applying with a 26!

As CB said, go ahead and apply this summer with intent to matriculate after completing the MS. Focus on osteo schools, and throw in a few international-friendly allo schools if you like. You have the research credentials, so it's possible you'll get some interest from them even with the disadvantages of your citizenship and test scores. Best of luck.

Thanks for your response. Would this be true for some of the low tier schools as well? Some of them view Canadian applicants as OOS (like other US residents) - would this make a difference? If any Canadian applicant has gotten accepted with these scores, please do post!

Best

lol really? I wonder how I got into an MD with my "horrible" MCAT
The poster is a non-US citizen/resident. S/he is not going to be very competitive for American allo schools with a 29 MCAT. Even a lot of the Canadian schools won't consider him/her. I do agree that getting an allo acceptance would be much more realistic if s/he were American, especially with residency in certain states.

Thanks for your response. Would this be true for some of the low tier schools as well? Some of them view Canadian applicants as OOS (like other US residents) - would this make a difference? If any Canadian applicant has gotten accepted with these scores, please do post!

Best

Low-tier USMD schools that are known to be 'Canadian-friendly' still do not view Canadian applicants as OOS. That is, all else being equal, you will need to have a greater GPA and MCAT than even the OOS applicants. If you check on premed101, Canadians that get accepted into the US (low-tiers) have a 33+ MCAT and a 3.8+ GPA. Personally, I only know of 1 Canadian in real-life that got accepted into a Canadian-friendly mid-tier USMD school. This person had a 42 MCAT and 3.6 GPA and also got an interview invite from a top-tier USMD school but sadly no interview invites in Canada.

With a 3.95 GPA (undergraduate, NOT graduate GPA), I would suggest retaking the MCAT. In your case, all you need to do is meet the MCAT cut-off for each individual Canadian medical school (you can get an idea on premed101) and you will get an interview. You will save so much money by staying in Canada. Just my advice...

By the way, at this point I am predicting that if you apply broadly and early in the upcoming admissions cycle to both USMD and USDO schools...you will get several interview invites from USDO schools and none from USMD schools.

Last edited: