Reapplicant Advice for 2nd Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FriedLemon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am trying to compile a school list for MD and DO schools this cycle as a reapplicant. This past 2021 cycle, I interview at EVMS, Geisinger, LECOM, and NYIT and was waitlisted at all of them. I am in the top 1/3 for EVMS, but I know that the chances of getting off the waitlist are very slim at this point. Last cycle, I was complete by October because my committee letter was submitted by my school at that time. All of my interviews for the 2021 cycle were in January and February of 2021. I already submitted my primary application for the 2022 cycle for verification and have already spoken to my undergraduate institution's committee letter writer to have the letter rewritten. I know that I am not the highest stat applicant and there are other areas for improvement, but I wanted to ensure that this time I was at least early to apply as I think that being complete very late (in October) played a role in how things turned out.

AMCAS GPA: 3.49 overall, 3.39 science
AACOMAS GPA: 3.55 overall, 3.41 science
MCAT: 518 (C/P: 130, CARS: 127, B/B: 129, P/S: 132)
Ethnicity: Considered Asian (ORM)
Pre-med committee letter is being rewritten right now
Disadvantaged status

Clinical experience:
1. Case manager at an inpatient substance abuse facility - 1200 hours (will continue in this role until possible matriculation; I began this activity during COVID-19 and have been working full-time in this role for the past ~7.5 months)
2. Behavioral health technician for individuals recovering from substance use disorders - 1932 hours
3. Live-in caregiver for someone with physical and intellectual disabilities - 4536 hours
4. 20 hours shadowing an emergency room physician at St. Francis Hospital
5. Caregiver for individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities - 2680 hours
6. Medical scribe in the emergency room at Stony Brook University Hospital - 1690 hours

Volunteering:
1. Fostering dogs (ongoing for thousands of hours since early 2020)
2. Campus community emergency response team for 198 hours
3. Stony Brook University Hospital for 68 hours

Research:
No research experience as of right now (bad, I know). **I just got involved in substance use disorder-related research at Drexel University as of this month (June 2021), so it was not on my primary application for the 2022 cycle. I know it is too early and I will need to include this in update letters at a later time in the cycle.**

Unique life story. Long story short, I was physically abused all my life by my father and brother. My mother was also abused by my father and brother, and died the day after I turned 12 due to numerous complications. I overcame quite a bit, and now own a home and car debt-free. Currently a Pennsylvania resident. (It would be my absolute biggest dream come true to go to Drexel, Temple, or Sidney Kimmel as I would be able to stay in my home, but obviously, I am more than happy to move to wherever I receive an acceptance.)

I have a list of schools I was considering based on being OOS friendly (with a few exceptions that maybe aren't), within their MCAT ranges, and not below the 10th percentile for their GPA ranges. It seems that for most schools, my MCAT score is 75th to 90th percentile or above, but my GPA is only 10th to 25th percentile.

Over the 2021 cycle, I applied to about 40 schools (30 MD and 10 DO). I don't know that I can afford to do the same thing this cycle, so can anyone assist me in narrowing down my school list to maybe 25 total schools between MD and DO? (Removing any schools here that I should not apply to and adding ones that I should apply to.) Here are some of the schools I am considering, but it is by no means an exhaustive list.

MD schools:
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Emory University School of Medicine
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
TCU and UNTHSC SOM
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine

DO school list:
PCOM
LECOM
NYIT

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pennsylvania
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Geisinger
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Miami
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
For DO schools I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
UNECOM
TUNCOM

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Geisinger
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Miami
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
For DO schools I suggest these:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
UNECOM
TUNCOM
Thank you so much!

Why are you using a committee’s letter instead of individual letters? I am wishing you all the best and confident that with your GREAT stats and experiences you will get accepted this cycle

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Why are you using a committee’s letter instead of individual letters? I am wishing you all the best and confident that with your GREAT stats and experiences you will get accepted this cycle
Hello, I am using a committee letter because the undergraduate institution from which I graduated with my bachelor's degree offers this for those applying to graduate medical programs. I had read and heard from various sources that one should get a committee letter if it is offered by their institution since it is looked at more favorably than individual letters. Am I incorrect about this?

Hello, I am using a committee letter because the undergraduate institution from which I graduated with my bachelor's degree offers this for those applying to graduate medical programs. I had read and heard from various sources that one should get a committee letter if it is offered by their institution since it is looked at more favorably than individual letters. Am I incorrect about this?
In addition to Faha's list, work on interview skills.

At my undergrad the committee letter is a chopped up and condensed version of the individual letters you give them - a mentor at the school strongly advised me to save myself the $300 and circumvent the committee. Some medical schools say the committee letter is required by no one ever asked me why I didn't have one.

You got a lot of interview and your stats are fine so I agree with Goro, it's likely interview skills that need work.

Also I'm rooting for you. Your story is compelling and you have a lot of valuable experience. Good luck.

At my undergrad the committee letter is a chopped up and condensed version of the individual letters you give them - a mentor at the school strongly advised me to save myself the $300 and circumvent the committee. Some medical schools say the committee letter is required by no one ever asked me why I didn't have one.

You got a lot of interview and your stats are fine so I agree with Goro, it's likely interview skills that need work.

Also I'm rooting for you. Your story is compelling and you have a lot of valuable experience. Good luck.
Thank you! Very happy to have applied much earlier on this cycle and I have 3 MD interviews coming up so far. I am shocked, but so grateful. (Have not finished applying DO yet.) I have been working on my interview skills and I hope to succeed this cycle.