Reapplicant Advice/ how much do schools know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frank Hardy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am reapplying this cycle MD/PhD. I would like your input.

Main question Do schools know what type of program you applied to 1st round. Meaning when you apply MD/PhD second round will schools know you applied MD only 1st round (if you apply to the same school the answer is yes, but what about different schools?

Follow up question: Where do you address the obvious question: Why did you decide to apply MD/PhD second round (ie. in the md/phd essay, the significant research experience essay, or secondaries, or interviews (hopefully) if they bring it up.

Are my chances shot or is there a grain of hope????

There are many reasons why this is the case for me. I can elaborate for anyone interested but it is a long story. One of the differences is that my pubs came through finally so that is a great boost to my app. and I am feeling more confident. Initially I thought I would transfer into the program second year or at worst do a research fellowship during/after medical school. I consider it destiny being waitlisted so I'll never know if I could have gotten in from the get go unless I give it a shot. I don't want to look back a few years from now thinking what if.

I appreciate the help. Thanks in advance to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.