Reapplicant Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YouTrain7

Reaction score
I am currently a senior about to graduate and re-apply, so any advice for steps to take or schools to add/drop would be very appreciated!!!

• State/Country of Residence: NJ
  • Ties to other States/Regions: School in Florida
  • URM? (Y/N): N
  • Year in School: Senior
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Bio major, Math minor
  • Graduate Degrees (if applicable): N/A
  • Cumulative GPA: ~3.45 (Strong upwards curve 2.93 first year-> 3.7 next 3 years)
  • Science GPA: ~3.3 (Same upwards curve)
  • MCAT Score(s): 512 (126/128/128/130)
  • Research Experience:
    • 40 hours in undergrad lab studying biological effects of vitamin D.
    • Projected 2100 clinical research coordinator hours during gap year
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): n/a
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):
    • 120 hours in Leper Hospital in Egypt
    • 60 hours in ICU of Miami Hospital
  • Physician Shadowing:
    • 40 hours each for anesthesiology unit, eye hospital in Egypt, and ophthalmologist office
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering:
    • 700+ hours at Orthodox Church over 5 years
  • Other Extracurricular Activities:
    • Workshop Leader for Biology course for one semester (50ish hours)
    • On-Campus COVID Public Health Ambassador for one semester (50ish hours)
    • Executive member of Fraternity for a year (150 hours)
  • Other Employment History: None
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): Y
  • Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Any
  • Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Y
  • Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Y
  • Medical School List:
Reaches:
  1. Georgetown
  2. Temple
  3. Penn State
  4. Jefferson
  5. Miami

Targets:
  1. Albany
  2. Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
  3. Rutgers Newark
  4. Nova MD
  5. Hackensack Meridian
  6. SUNY
  7. Loyola
  8. Toledo
  9. EVMS
  10. Geisinger
  11. West Virginia
  12. Tulane (Secondary edit)
  13. FSU (Secondary edit)
  14. FIU
  15. FAU
  16. New York Medical College
  17. Louisville
  18. Wright state
  19. Vermont
  20. Quinnipiac
  21. PCOM
  22. Nova DO
  23. Midwestern
  24. Rowan
  25. MCU
  26. Ohio DO

Members don't see this ad.

So did you get any interviews last cycle?

My thoughts about your application is that it is very lacking in terms of clinical experience. First of all, those 120 hours in Egypt may be looked at unfavorably or considered "lesser" compared to clinical voluneering in the USA and your 60 hours in the ICU are not enough. Your shadowing and volunteering are fine but just be careful of how you spin the religious aspect of your volunteering - try to be more focused on the kinds of people you helped. Also, unless you start your clinical research coordinating job before you submit, you won't be allowed to include it on your application. Furthermore, adcoms honestly don't really care about projected hours because a lot of the time, projected hours don't get done because of things like injuries, family issues, personal matters, moving out of state, etc.

Also- Projected hours dont count on the application
Increase clinical experience/service to unfortunate communities
I'd take Ohio DO school off- they prefer in state
Would add some DO schools- DMU/KCU/LECOM/Touro

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So did you get any interviews last cycle?

My thoughts about your application is that it is very lacking in terms of clinical experience. First of all, those 120 hours in Egypt may be looked at unfavorably or considered "lesser" compared to clinical voluneering in the USA and your 60 hours in the ICU are not enough. Your shadowing and volunteering are fine but just be careful of how you spin the religious aspect of your volunteering - try to be more focused on the kinds of people you helped. Also, unless you start your clinical research coordinating job before you submit, you won't be allowed to include it on your application. Furthermore, adcoms honestly don't really care about projected hours because a lot of the time, projected hours don't get done because of things like injuries, family issues, personal matters, moving out of state, etc.
Unfortunately, I didn’t get any interviews last cycle. You’re right about the fact that I need more clinical hours, but I’ve actually been working at the clinical research job for about 2 months now, so I can still include it on my application. The volunteering I spun in the aspect of community and reaching out to those outside of my church.

overall, I feel with an improved school list, experiences, and gpa, I’ll have a much better shot this time even though I didn’t get interviews last cycle

Unfortunately, I didn’t get any interviews last cycle. You’re right about the fact that I need more clinical hours, but I’ve actually been working at the clinical research job for about 2 months now, so I can still include it on my application. The volunteering I spun in the aspect of community and reaching out to those outside of my church.

overall, I feel with an improved school list, experiences, and gpa, I’ll have a much better shot this time even though I didn’t get interviews last cycle
Great! Only thing I can say is to separate your current and projected clinical hours on your app

Does your clinical research actually involve interaction with patients? If so, what exactly is it? Merely doing logistical work like calling them up and making app'ts isn't real patient contact experience.

Does your clinical research actually involve interaction with patients? If so, what exactly is it? Merely doing logistical work like calling them up and making app'ts isn't real patient contact experience.
Yea, my job is actually mostly patient interactions! I've already started part-time and the majority of my job is meeting with patients, gathering their medical information, taking their basic vitals, doing ultrasounds/ekg's, and starting them on clinical drug trials. So it really is a lot of hands-on patient experience.

Great! Only thing I can say is to separate your current and projected clinical hours on your app
Yea I will probably keep them both under the same activity, just specify in the writing that I've completed a certain number of hours so far and that I'm continuing with the projected ones

Yea, my job is actually mostly patient interactions! I've already started part-time and the majority of my job is meeting with patients, gathering their medical information, taking their basic vitals, doing ultrasounds/ekg's, and starting them on clinical drug trials. So it really is a lot of hands-on patient experience.
You're good to go

I am currently a senior about to graduate and re-apply, so any advice for steps to take or schools to add/drop would be very appreciated!!!

• State/Country of Residence: NJ
  • Ties to other States/Regions: School in Florida
  • URM? (Y/N): N
  • Year in School: Senior
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Bio major, Math minor
  • Graduate Degrees (if applicable): N/A
  • Cumulative GPA: ~3.45 (Strong upwards curve 2.93 first year-> 3.7 next 3 years)
  • Science GPA: ~3.3 (Same upwards curve)
  • MCAT Score(s): 512 (126/128/128/130)
  • Research Experience:
    • 40 hours in undergrad lab studying biological effects of vitamin D.
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): n/a
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):
    • 120 hours in Leper Hospital in Egypt
    • 60 hours in ICU of Miami Hospital
  • Physician Shadowing:
    • 40 hours each for anesthesiology unit, eye hospital in Egypt, and ophthalmologist office
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering:
    • 700+ hours at Orthodox Church over 5 years
  • Other Extracurricular Activities:
    • Workshop Leader for Biology course for one semester (50ish hours)
    • On-Campus COVID Public Health Ambassador for one semester (50ish hours)
    • Executive member of Fraternity for a year (150 hours)
  • Other Employment History: None
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): Y
  • Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Any
  • Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Y
  • Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Y
  • Medical School List:
Reaches:
  1. Georgetown
  2. Temple
  3. Penn State
  4. Jefferson
  5. Miami

Targets:
  1. Albany
  2. Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
  3. Rutgers Newark
  4. Nova MD
  5. Hackensack Meridian
  6. SUNY
  7. Loyola
  8. Toledo
  9. EVMS
  10. Geisinger
  11. West Virginia
  12. Tulane (Secondary edit)
  13. FSU (Secondary edit)
  14. FIU
  15. FAU
  16. New York Medical College
  17. Louisville
  18. Wright state
  19. Vermont
  20. Quinnipiac
  21. PCOM
  22. Nova DO
  23. Midwestern
  24. Rowan
  25. MCU
  26. Ohio DO
GPA below 3.5 is the reason your not being looked at. Something like a SMP program to raise your gpa may help you out.