Reapplicant Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdub8790

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied during the 2017-2018 admissions cycle and unfortunately did not earn an interview to any school. I’ve read a lot of posts from fellow reapplicants but still decided to post this thread for input and assistance that is pertinent to my particular case.

cGPA: 3.6

sGPA: 3.1

MCAT: 500

I realize that my GPA’s and MCAT are nothing to write home about and require great improvement. I did self-study for my first MCAT attempt and as you all can see it did not pan out well. However, I’m currently in a tutoring program and have been consistently scoring 518+ on my practice exams, which gives me hope. In addition, my research hours, EC activity, and research activity are all quite strong.

I only applied to the 11 MD schools in Texas, due in part to financial shortcomings and in part to my own naivety. In short, I’ve been wrestling with whether I should apply to a SMP or go out and find a job in my field. I realize both have their pro’s and con’s, but I wanted to hear from anyone who was or is currently in the same boat, or anyone with advice for that matter. I’m not a child so please don’t pull any punches. I have no chip on my shoulder and I need to see exactly where I am and exactly what I should do to make myself the best applicant possible.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Members don't see this ad.

This all depends on what you want to do with your life. No one can tell you what your dreams are. Do you see yourself in medicine for the long haul? Then you have get your grades up and reapply. And while you're doing that, you need to continue your ECs; make sure those ECs involve solid clinical and nonclinical volunteer hours. Even if you're convinced that medicine is still your goal, you might want to take some time off to earn some money because interviews can get expensive.

Why did you think you were competitive enough for all Texas MDs with your sGPA and MCAT? Did someone encourage you to go for it? I'm genuinely curious.

It’s gonna be tough to swing an acceptance with a 3.1s and a 500. I’ve seen people get accepted to DO schools with one of those stats, but with the other compensating example: 3.1 science but a 510 MCAT.

The good news is you have more options that you think.

1) you can retake the MCAT. This will be your quickest option and the ones that will prolly yield the best results. If you want MD school, your gonna have to hike that mcat to a 515+. DO schools will prolly require a 508+.

2) you can do an SMP. I recommend one with direct linkage, like VCOM or LECOM. This is a very risky path and be forewarned, if you do not do well in the SMP (below a 3.5), it could very well ruin your chances of ever getting in.

3) do a “do it yourself” post bacc. Take more science classes that you didn’t get a chance to take in undergrad, about 30 credits worth. This is less risky than an SMP, but you will still need to do well, and most likely will have to retake the MCAT. For MD, your gonna need As from now on, like 3.8+GPA and above, DO should be safe with 3.6+.

4) Look into other healthcare options. The closest would be podiatry (DPM), and your stats are fine for that (they take the Mcat). You might even get a scholarship. You get to be a doctor/surgeon on the foot an ankle and it has every medical specialty in it with the possible exception of OBGYN and Physchiatry. I highly recommend this to premeds who couldn’t make the cut for MD/DO.

I would also recommend dentistry, although you will have to take the DAT, the DAT is also much easier than the MCAT. The only problem with that is your science GPa is a bit low.

OD might also be an option.

I would not recommend pharmacy at this time. Lots of saturation is hitting the field.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for many DO schools with your stats so if you still want to be a physician I suggest applying to these schools:
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LUCOM
ICOM
RVU-Utah
NYIT-Arkansas
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM-Georgia and PCOM-Moultrie

This all depends on what you want to do with your life. No one can tell you what your dreams are. Do you see yourself in medicine for the long haul? Then you have get your grades up and reapply. And while you're doing that, you need to continue your ECs; make sure those ECs involve solid clinical and nonclinical volunteer hours. Even if you're convinced that medicine is still your goal, you might want to take some time off to earn some money because interviews can get expensive.

Why did you think you were competitive enough for all Texas MDs with your sGPA and MCAT? Did someone encourage you to go for it? I'm genuinely curious.
I would attribute it to complete lack of information concerning what it really takes to be competitive as well as a large helping of naivety on my part. Taking part in an SMP was on my radar, but as you mentioned, the application process is expensive so I'm worried about being able to financially prepare if I'm in school full-time.

It’s gonna be tough to swing an acceptance with a 3.1s and a 500. I’ve seen people get accepted to DO schools with one of those stats, but with the other compensating example: 3.1 science but a 510 MCAT.

The good news is you have more options that you think.

1) you can retake the MCAT. This will be your quickest option and the ones that will prolly yield the best results. If you want MD school, your gonna have to hike that mcat to a 515+. DO schools will prolly require a 508+.

2) you can do an SMP. I recommend one with direct linkage, like VCOM or LECOM. This is a very risky path and be forewarned, if you do not do well in the SMP (below a 3.5), it could very well ruin your chances of ever getting in.

3) do a “do it yourself” post bacc. Take more science classes that you didn’t get a chance to take in undergrad, about 30 credits worth. This is less risky than an SMP, but you will still need to do well, and most likely will have to retake the MCAT. For MD, your gonna need As from now on, like 3.8+GPA and above, DO should be safe with 3.6+.

4) Look into other healthcare options. The closest would be podiatry (DPM), and your stats are fine for that (they take the Mcat). You might even get a scholarship. You get to be a doctor/surgeon on the foot an ankle and it has every medical specialty in it with the possible exception of OBGYN and Physchiatry. I highly recommend this to premeds who couldn’t make the cut for MD/DO.

I would also recommend dentistry, although you will have to take the DAT, the DAT is also much easier than the MCAT. The only problem with that is your science GPa is a bit low.

OD might also be an option.

I would not recommend pharmacy at this time. Lots of saturation is hitting the field.

Hope this helps, good luck.
I guess my question comes down to this: if I begin working a full-time job, while continuing to build my EC's, resume, and kill the MCAT (518+), would that be enough to make me competitive at an MD and/or DO school? Or is my only hope to undertake a SMP to salvage my GPA? (With a great MCAT score as well)

Thank you for your reply, it was very informative and helpful!

You are competitive for many DO schools with your stats so if you still want to be a physician I suggest applying to these schools:
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LUCOM
ICOM
RVU-Utah
NYIT-Arkansas
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM-Georgia and PCOM-Moultrie
First, thank you very much for the list! Second, do you think I have a shot at any MD schools with my current GPA but an exceptional MCAT (518+)? Thank you for your time.

518? Yeah, that would be good enough for a couple MD schools (especially in state Texas schools) and good enough for all DO schools.

High MCAT forgives an applicant of a lot of shortcomings. It will be hard to swing a 518+ while working full time, but if you are up for the challenge, by all means go for it. If it were me, I couldn’t do it.

Glad to help. Good luck!

I guess my question comes down to this: if I begin working a full-time job, while continuing to build my EC's, resume, and kill the MCAT (518+), would that be enough to make me competitive at an MD and/or DO school? Or is my only hope to undertake a SMP to salvage my GPA? (With a great MCAT score as well)

Thank you for your reply, it was very informative and helpful!