Reapplicant Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

expressojoe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the 2020 cycle though I'm getting to the point where I am starting to prepare to reapply. This cycle I had 3 MD II, 2 of which are WL and 1 is still pending (March interview). I had one DO II and A, though over the past several months have really found a specialty that I really like and may want to pursue though it is tough to match with as a DO (plus this school hasn't had anyone match in this specialty in the last 2 matches). It may seem ridiculously stupid to give up a DO A just but I'm really torn.

Anyways here's some bit about my app:
GPA: 3.97
MCAT 511 (132/123/129/127) → 521 (132/129/130/130)
Graduated with BA in Cell Biology & Neuroscience, minors in chemistry and sociology, with Certificate in Chemistry Education (CCE)
NJ native, though in August will qualify as NY resident (1 year).

Clinical Experience:
~80 Hours shadowing at various practices (Peds, Ped Surgery, Optho, Neuro)
~ 200 hours as a hospital volunteer (I was really limited by a heavy school/work schedule and by whatever opportunities I could reach from a walking distance from my college campus).

Research Exp: 1200 Hours (undergrad)

Other EC: Several leadership positions in 3 College organization
Nonclinical volunteering: Foodbank, fundraising, health screenings, translating ~ 60 hours
Teaching Experiences (Several positions from personal tutoring to teaching lectures): 500 hours

Hobbies: Music ~ 500 hours
Photography ~ 100 hours

Current Position:
I have been working full time since graduating in May 2019 in research at T20 school (though I don’t think that holds much weight). Research during the week, teach during the weekend (I was a private tutor in the fall/winter and am now teaching a university class in the current spring semester).

I have been applied to volunteer at several local hospitals and clinics since October though with my schedule have had no luck being placed in a position.

Currently I am also doing some virtual volunteering (nonclinical) within research dealing with covid-19 but I’m hesitant to include this because I don’t want to seem opportunistic.

School List:
Albany MC
Albert Einstein
BU
California University of Science and Med
Columbia
Drexel
EMory
George Washington
Harvard
Icahn SOM Mt Sinai
JHU
Kaiser Permanate
Keck
Temple
Mayo Clinic
NYMC
NYU
Feinberg (Northwestern)
Penn State
UPenn
Stony Brook
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers RWJMS
Thomas Jefferson
Stanford
SUNY Downstate
Tufts
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UChicago
UMaryland
UMich
UPitt
Weill Cornell

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in the 2020 cycle though I'm getting to the point where I am starting to prepare to reapply. This cycle I had 3 MD II, 2 of which are WL and 1 is still pending (March interview). I had one DO II and A, though over the past several months have really found a specialty that I really like and may want to pursue though it is tough to match with as a DO (plus this school hasn't had anyone match in this specialty in the last 2 matches). It may seem ridiculously stupid to give up a DO A just but I'm really torn.

Anyways here's some bit about my app:
GPA: 3.97
MCAT 511 (132/123/129/127) → 521 (132/129/130/130)
Graduated with BA in Cell Biology & Neuroscience, minors in chemistry and sociology, with Certificate in Chemistry Education (CCE)
NJ native, though in August will qualify as NY resident (1 year).

Clinical Experience:
~80 Hours shadowing at various practices (Peds, Ped Surgery, Optho, Neuro)
~ 200 hours as a hospital volunteer (I was really limited by a heavy school/work schedule and by whatever opportunities I could reach from a walking distance from my college campus).

Research Exp: 1200 Hours (undergrad)

Other EC: Several leadership positions in 3 College organization
Nonclinical volunteering: Foodbank, fundraising, health screenings, translating ~ 60 hours
Teaching Experiences (Several positions from personal tutoring to teaching lectures): 500 hours

Hobbies: Music ~ 500 hours
Photography ~ 100 hours

Current Position:
I have been working full time since graduating in May 2019 in research at T20 school (though I don’t think that holds much weight). Research during the week, teach during the weekend (I was a private tutor in the fall/winter and am now teaching a university class in the current spring semester).

I have been applied to volunteer at several local hospitals and clinics since October though with my schedule have had no luck being placed in a position.

Currently I am also doing some virtual volunteering (nonclinical) within research dealing with covid-19 but I’m hesitant to include this because I don’t want to seem opportunistic.

School List:
Albany MC
Albert Einstein
BU
Columbia
Drexel
EMory
George Washington
Harvard
Icahn SOM Mt Sinai
JHU
Kaiser Permanate
Keck
Temple
Mayo Clinic
NYMC
NYU
Feinberg (Northwestern)
Penn State
UPenn
Stony Brook
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers RWJMS
Thomas Jefferson
Stanford
SUNY Downstate
Tufts
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UChicago
UMaryland
UMich
UPitt
Weill Cornell

The sparseness of nonclinical volunteering probably hurt you. If you reapply, you'll have to bolster that.

You have to disclose your DO acceptance if you decline it and reapply.

Where have you been interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
2 NJ schools (both Waitlist) and a SUNY school that I'm still waiting on

I successfully reapplied and my advice if you choose to reapply would be to highly edit your school list. Especially considering where you got love love with interviews. Pick 5-10 reach schools (non-bolded) and bulk up applications to schools more consistent with the bolded ones. Have multiple people read your personal statement and make sure you're not just submitting the same one that didn't work the first time!
School List:
Albany MC
Albert Einstein
BU

Columbia
Drexel (even though this is a lower tier school, they receive ~14,000 applications)
Emory
George Washington (receives ~15,000 applications)
Harvard
Icahn SOM Mt Sinai
JHU
Kaiser Permanate
Keck
Temple
Mayo Clinic
NYMC
NYU
Feinberg (Northwestern)
Penn State
UPenn
Stony Brook
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers RWJMS
Thomas Jefferson

Stanford
SUNY Downstate
Tufts

UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UChicago
UMaryland
UMich
UPitt
Weill Cornell

Reactions: 1 user
I'd just like to add, if one of the schools you were waitlisted at was RWJ and you were placed on the high-priority alternate list, there's a very high chance you're gonna be accepted. Obviously, you should still be preparing as if you will have to reapply until the WL becomes an A, I just thought it was worth mentioning that hope isn't lost yet :)

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I'd just like to add, if one of the schools you were waitlisted at was RWJ and you were placed on the high-priority alternate list, there's a very high chance you're gonna be accepted. Obviously, you should still be preparing as if you will have to reapply until the WL becomes an A, I just thought it was worth mentioning that hope isn't lost yet :)

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thanks I was placed on HPWL for RWJ so I appreciate your feedback and I keep my fingers crossed.

Most of the schools you applied to are in the top-tiers...So if you need to reapply I would add more low&mid-tiers such as SLU, Dartmouth, tufts,etc
But your application and stats are very impressive. May I ask you how you improved your CARS score from 123 to 129? It was my lowest section too lol