Reapplicant Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walterwhite117

Reaction score
Hey team!

I applied in the 2020-21 cycle with the following app:
2 MCATs
8/2019 508
1/2020 517
UG GPA 3.1 Bio major Grad GPA 3.92 (MS In physiology)
ORM NY resident
applied to 24 MD
2 DO (late)
3 II (2 IS 1 OOS)
EC's: 1000 hrs of medical assistantship in 2020-21, 150+ hours of shadowing, 1000+ hours research + 1 publication, Paid nonclinical employment as well
I know my UG gpa stunk, but I applied as a disadvantaged applicant and attempted to explain the issues I faced in college. Im applying to more DO programs as well as broader MD schools. Advice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you reapply I suggest these DO schools:
NYITCOM (both schools)
Touro-NY
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
For MD schools I suggest these:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 40% chance for a MD acceptance. Your best chances will be at DO schools.

When you reapply I suggest these DO schools:
NYITCOM (both schools)
Touro-NY
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
For MD schools I suggest these:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 40% chance for a MD acceptance. Your best chances will be at DO schools.
Thank you for the advice and input! I really appreciate it.

The wise Faha's advice is spot on, as usual.
A few mildly scattered questions-

Is it possible that my UG GPA held me back post II, or do you think I need to improve my interviewing skills? (I'm attempting to get feedback from all of the schools I interviewed with ASAP)

Considering I've already done an SMP I wasn't sure if I should take additional classes.

I've modified my school list to include more schools that my UG GPA is in the range for, as well as applying to DO programs earlier. I'm a bit anxious about applying with a similar application (I added some experiences and improved my PS/descriptions), but I think applying DO earlier, modifying my school list and revamping my interview prep are adequate changes.

Let me know what you think!

Thank you for all that you do.

HI there,

Sorry to hear that you didn't make it this last round. But you did get II, which is huge! One thing to check is the MSAR website (if you haven't already). I suggest really calculating the OOS school's acceptance rates. Rather than simply looking at the number of accepted OOS students, look at the number of OOS students who applied (this can be very competitive). And definitely take a look at the lowest GPA the schools that you applied to this past cycle accepted (and compare these with the lowest accepted GPAs from the new list you are compiling). To clarify, I don't mean the cut off GPA, but rather the chart that shows the median and the highest and lowest from the cycle's matriculated students. Then you can aim for applying to those schools that were more lenient in the GPAs this past cycle.

And in addition to DO schools, have you thought about the Atlantic Bridge program? It may be something to consider.

Best of luck!

HI there,

Sorry to hear that you didn't make it this last round. But you did get II, which is huge! One thing to check is the MSAR website (if you haven't already). I suggest really calculating the OOS school's acceptance rates. Rather than simply looking at the number of accepted OOS students, look at the number of OOS students who applied (this can be very competitive). And definitely take a look at the lowest GPA the schools that you applied to this past cycle accepted (and compare these with the lowest accepted GPAs from the new list you are compiling). To clarify, I don't mean the cut off GPA, but rather the chart that shows the median and the highest and lowest from the cycle's matriculated students. Then you can aim for applying to those schools that were more lenient in the GPAs this past cycle.

And in addition to DO schools, have you thought about the Atlantic Bridge program? It may be something to consider.

Best of luck!
Thank you very much!