Reapplicant applying and doing post-bacc program / School list

Started by Rhee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rhee

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied in the 2015-2016 cycle and received only one II that turned into a WL. I believe my low MCAT and the downward trend in GPA were the two biggest issues. I had to take a semester off in my junior year due to family emergency and my own health issue that required a surgery. I wasn't ready to go back to school after that summer ended but I did anyway, and as a result my grades suffered. It's a decision that I regret to this day.

This past year I've retaken the MCAT, and I've also got into VCOM and LECOM's post-bacc programs that start this summer/fall. Both VCOM and LECOM offer great linkage to their DO programs if I can maintain a certain GPA in the program, so I want to take advantage of that. It will also allow me to prove to myself that I can handle the rigor of the med school coursework. However, I still want to apply to other MD and DO schools just in case something happens. What are your thoughts on applying and doing post-bacc program in the same year? I want to practice EM or primary care so I don't care if I become an MD or a DO.

MCAT:
27 (first attempt)
509-515 (second attempt, score will come back in mid-June; scored 514 on AAMC FL 1 and 2)

GPA:
4.00 (freshman)
3.85 (sophomore)
2.98 (junior, one semester only, got a C in biochemistry)
2.74 (senior, 4 C's in upper division science classes)
4.00 (DIY post-bacc at local CC, some retakes and some new classes)

cGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.43

ECs:
>2000 hrs ED Tech (one LOR from an ER doctor)
2000 hrs EMT on ambulance
1500 hrs biochemistry research with one publication (one LOR from the PI)
20 hrs shadowing a general surgeon (one LOR from the surgeon)
>1000 hrs of various community services


MD School List (median MCAT, cGPA, sGPA):
  1. UCI* (512, 3.82, 3.80)
  2. UCR* (508, 3.74, 3.70)
  3. UCLA* (508, 3.79, 3.77)
  4. UCSD* (517, 3.84, 3.81)
  5. UCSF* (516, 3.84, 3.83)
  6. UCD* (509, 3.72, 3.67)
  7. USC (515, 3.76, 3.73)
  8. Loma Linda* (508, 3.86, 3.82)
  9. California Northstate (513, 3.58, 3.49) (not sure if I should apply here)
  10. George Washington* (511, 3.72, 3.65)
  11. Tulane* (511, 3.62, 3.51)
  12. Howard* (502, 3.41, 3.23)
  13. Oakland* (507, 3.79, 3.73)
  14. Penn State* (509, 3.82, 3.78)
  15. Albany (510, 3.68, 3.62)
  16. Medical College of Wisconsin* (510, 3.76, 3.72)
  17. Chicago Medical School* (511, 3.62, 3.56)
  18. Drexel (511, 3.73, 3.69)
  19. Rush* (512, 3.73, 3.68)
  20. Quinnipiac* (512, 3.68, 3.61)
  21. Creighton* (510, 3.81, 3.76)
* = reapplicant

I'm a FAP recipient so I can apply to 15 schools for free. Should I take out more schools that I'm a reapplicant to and add more new schools? I'm a CA resident and that's why I'm applying to all the UC's even though I basically have zero chance of getting into any of them. Should I take them out and add more OOS schools? I'll also be applying to ~10 DO schools.

Besides the three LOR's mentioned above, I also have one science and one non-science LOR's. However, I'm only able to get the ER doctor and the PI to update their letters for this cycle. Is this going to be a problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!